Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#7 Spoilers and Discussion

spoilers:
    Lois breaks down as she realises Jon is telling the truth, she is emotional over "missing everything", she asks Jon to give her the details. Jon goes straight into flashback mode and covers what happened when they left Clark at the end of Man of Steel. After a bit of turbulance, we learn Jor-El's ship is actually a smaller one in contrast to a massive vessel which soon comes under attack from Dominator vessels. Lois thinks she's in over her head while Jon and Jor-El spring into action and deal with the intrusive Dominators. Jor-El reveals the Dominiator fleet is on it's way to Earth. Lois switches to the Reborn outfit, much to Jon's amusement, and the three arrive on a nearby planet. Jon meets Lobo on the planet and has a bit of a stare-down. Lois is approached by the planet's inhabitants who are drawn to her outfit. The three learn that the Khunds of Daxum are taking children for slave labor. Jon and Jor-El liberate the slaves. Afterwards, Lois realises she's not needed and departs for Earth. Cut back to present day, and Jon tells his parents Jor-El is insane and they have to do something about it
    end of spoilers

Reading this issue was quite fun. Bendis kind of uniquely deals with Lois as someone who feels a little in over her head dealing with the lives Clark handles in his Super-routine. I can't exactly say I like the general idea it takes one heroic task from Jon to convince her it's OK to leave them behind (gives me a "that's it?!" sort of vibe), especially with what Bendis said in interviews, but perhaps Lois has had adventures on the way back to Earth that informs her behaviour in Action Comics? I hope that's the case otherwise AC#1004 looks even worse.

Oh, and those clean-up workers eavesdropping on the family...that is gonna bite them.

I doubt there's anything more to Lois' return than what's presented. I'm very frustrated with this issue because there's so much there that could have worked but it's just rushed through completely. I think I know exactly what Lois' behavior in Action is supposed to have been triggered by, and theoretically I like it a lot, but there's really not enough here to justify it.

Same with her leaving Jon, like the idea as a concept is ok, and what is there could have easily been developed to really make it work. But Bendis doesn't seem interested in actually making this part of the story work and so he hits the plot point, the characters just act, and we like check off that box and moves on. He needs Lois to leave so he can set up the rest of this story and what he's doing in Action, so he just has her give a justification and then leave.

It reminds me a lot of Action 1004 actually because again I can see good ideas but the execution is really lacking. The idea behind Lois' leaving Jon can work. The idea for her change of feelings about what she sees out there can work. But we just barely touched on it and move on. These are solid ideas, but the execution is like, disinterested maybe?

Its almost like an outline. Why is Bendis rushing through this stuff which appears to be so important? He spent an entire issue almost having Superman contemplative in the Phantom Zone, but rushes right through this.

And I completely called them getting caught by someone.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-16-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    Lois breaks down as she realises Jon is telling the truth, she is emotional over "missing everything", she asks Jon to give her the details. Jon goes straight into flashback mode and covers what happened when they left Clark at the end of Man of Steel. After a bit of turbulance, we learn Jor-El's ship is actually a smaller one in contrast to a massive vessel which soon comes under attack from Dominator vessels. Lois thinks she's in over her head while Jon and Jor-El spring into action and deal with the intrusive Dominators. Jor-El reveals the Dominiator fleet is on it's way to Earth. Lois switches to the Reborn outfit, much to Jon's amusement, and the three arrive on a nearby planet. Jon meets Lobo on the planet and has a bit of a stare-down. Lois is approached by the planet's inhabitants who are drawn to her outfit. The three learn that the Khunds of Daxum are taking children for slave labor. Jon and Jor-El liberate the slaves. Afterwards, Lois realises she's not needed and departs for Earth. Cut back to present day, and Jon tells his parents Jor-El is insane and they have to do something about it
    end of spoilers

Reading this issue was quite fun. Bendis kind of uniquely deals with Lois as someone who feels a little in over her head dealing with the lives Clark handles in his Super-routine. I can't exactly say I like the general idea it takes one heroic task from Jon to convince her it's OK to leave them behind (gives me a "that's it?!" sort of vibe), especially with what Bendis said in interviews, but perhaps Lois has had adventures on the way back to Earth that informs her behaviour in Action Comics? I hope that's the case otherwise AC#1004 looks even worse.

Oh, and those clean-up workers eavesdropping on the family...that is gonna bite them.
    Kinda like how Slott handled MJ.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=Miles To Go;4139885]spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Oh, and those clean-up workers eavesdropping on the family...that is gonna bite them.[/QUOTE
    Didn't superman deal with a dominator fleet in his futile search for his family?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Didn't superman deal with a dominator fleet in his futile search for his family?
    Yes, and that was a few weeks later, so good continuity there

Yeah - I like the characterization in this issue for the most part, and I do somewhat get that Lois felt like she was a third wheel with what all they were doing... but there'd still better be more to that story. That's her kid she left out there, and (again, for the millionth time) spoilers:
    Grandpa El is crazy is not news. We knew this. He was being controlled, and we still don't know what happened after his time as Mr. Oz.
    end of spoilers

It's not quite enough to fully pull me out of things, but as Yoda said.. it feels rushed. Which is ironic, given how frustrating the decompression is elsewhere.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Only 3 weeks. Then again, even a minute without your loved ones would seem like a eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yeah - I like the characterization in this issue for the most part, and I do somewhat get that Lois felt like she was a third wheel with what all they were doing... but there'd still better be more to that story. That's her kid she left out there, and (again, for the millionth time) spoilers:
    Grandpa El is crazy is not news. We knew this. He was being controlled, and we still don't know what happened after his time as Mr. Oz.
    end of spoilers

It's not quite enough to fully pull me out of things, but as Yoda said.. it feels rushed. Which is ironic, given how frustrating the decompression is elsewhere.
    It does present the idea of Lois being in over her head and a third wheel somewhat convincingly, I think conceptually that all works. Because realistically she is both. Her presence there as a check on Jor El doesn't really ensure anything because it's not like she could stop Jor El from just spacing her and running off with Jon. There is a level of trust for Jor El built into this whole plot that wasn't really earned and honestly Bendis really needs to address at some.point. It has to be Doomsday Clock that is leaving this plot hole open.

And Jon was shown to be capable himself in those three scenes. If you can establish that there was an initial level of trust for Jor El then her actions (and Clark's) aren't that out of character.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-16-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Incredible Member

Wow.. Bendis hate Lois that much huh
    Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I'm gonna quote a review here.

‘Grandpa is completely insane’? To whom is this a revelation? Prior to leaving Earth, Jor-El had been revealed as the face behind Mr Oz, who had been kidnapping heroes and villains while manipulating wars and disaster on Earth. He fought Clark and tried to kill him. That Lois and Clark should ever let Jon join him on a space vacation because he suddenly presented as a reasonable man made no sense… the guy should have been locked up and given treatment for his mental health.

It was this move by new writer Brian Bendis in his Man of Steel mini-series that had me really worried about his tenure as architect of the Superman line. As it happens, I’ve really enjoyed what he’s been doing, while having qualms about the suddenly mysterious Clark/Lois relationship. But now we’re back to the Jon storyline and Lois compounding her appalling decision to take Jon into space with Jor-El by leaving him there because he’s good in a fight…

How would seeing how scary the spaceways are provoke any response in a sane parent but the desire to return home? Jon is a super-powered kid but he’s still a kid – and a massive target for Superman’s enemies.

Always Rakzo

Heh, HA HA HA!

I can't believe that Bendis is doing this now, he's actually trying to give a justification to his own bad decisions by saying how much of a bad decision they were in the first place!

Lois suddenly saying to Jon: "What did your maniac grandfather did to you" to which everyone's response is: "What YOU allowed Lois!", "YOU accompanied him and supported this ridiculous decision!" and Jon addressing the stupid plot-point of him leaving the Earth because the Teen Titans rejected him with an "Oh, yeah, Hah!" basically acknowledging how absurd that course of events was and what Bendis apparently doesn't realize is that ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR OWN MISTAKES DOESN'T MAKE THEM DISAPPEAR! It was an idiotic direction back then and is idiotic right now.

And yes, the fact that Jon is a full teenager now is still awful and pretty much everyone hates it. Hope they realize this and turn him back.

Good art. Aside from that? You already know.

Kon93

Wow,bendis I love that your writing feels like something new,atleast for DC,and I guess fresh,but damn you make some dumb decisions.

Old lady was touching lois's very well drawn S symbol.
    When they were all around her asking for help i got a BvsS flashback.

Over use of the word pa,sounds like more weird stuff like before.

You let jor take him,its your fault.

Lois starting right away to feel uncomfortable feels like BS writing.

Btw Jon likes to hero up,but I dont completely take him as dumb,and flying into space toward a entire fleet is kinda dumb.

Didnt know this suit lois is wearing was some kind of armor or life support suit,was it before bendis?

Jor doesn't consider other species of ppl actual ppl...nice NOT.

Yeah Jon just starting **** with lobo,come on folks

The Light,thought of the YJ show lol.

Bendis was totally trying to convey that lois canr handle ANYTHING out in space,but by going overboard by doing it in every instance he makes it not believable.

So watching your 10 year old DESIRE to fight space baddies and kick butt makes you want to leave your kid,and not you know think your kid has a aggression problem.leacing for that reason is just backwards.

Now he's nuts,not any other time,but now when I need it to work with the plot and direction I want to take it,come on.

Like I said bendis writing feels fresh,i appreciate that,but his choices are just so wrong they cant just be ignored because he writes stuff fresh.

Art was good.

With all the bad i still liked reading this,probably cause I'm a huge SUPERS fan.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Could it be the problem with bendis' writing/execution that he writes too many books x month? 🤔

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Could it be the problem with bendis' writing/execution that he writes too many books x month? ��

I don't think so,because that would lead to lazy writing,this isnt lazy,this is choices,pre planned choices,that are not right.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Could it be the problem with bendis' writing/execution that he writes too many books x month? ��
    Yes, but bad characterization is a common thing with him as well.