Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default So James Gunn's next movie is "Superman as a horror story"

It's called Brightburn. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but it's perfectly clear who this is supposed to be based on.

EDIT: Technically, Gunn is just the producer, but he clearly played a large role in making it.

“About a year ago my brother Brian, my cousin Mark, director David Yarovesky, producer Simon Hatt and I started coming up with an idea for a horror film that excited me in a way nothing outside of Guardians has in years – it was personal, and different, and perfectly suited for our times. And, yes, terrifying.”
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 12-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Never heard of this movie before. Looks awesome, I'm not going to miss it.

BANNED

Nice, count me in. I wish they could actually do stuff like this with the name of Superman. You know as an elseworlds story.

BANNED

I bet some cruel cat will edit all of this into the childhood flashbacks of Man of Steel.

So Ultraman movie? Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So Ultraman movie? Huh.
    Or maybe, "What if Superman was part of the Cthulhu Mythos?"

that kid kinda resembles Chris Reeve.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's called Brightburn. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but it's perfectly clear who this is supposed to be based on.

EDIT: Technically, Gunn is just the producer, but he clearly played a large role in making it.
    Technically, it looks good. Judged on it's own merits, it may be very good. But I cannot deny my visceral reaction which was: J***s H C****t, we've had grey leather suit with lousy father depressing Superman and even more depressing Superman with Batman. Here's a crazy idea. Do a Superman movie that actually embraces what Superman is. Then do depressing versions and horror versions but first give us an actual Superman movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Technically, it looks good. Judged on it's own merits, it may be very good. But I cannot deny my visceral reaction which was: J***s H C****t, we've had grey leather suit with lousy father depressing Superman and even more depressing Superman with Batman. Here's a crazy idea. Do a Superman movie that actually embraces what Superman is. Then do depressing versions and horror versions but first give us an actual Superman movie.
    Considering that Superman is just a guy trying to do the right thing HOW is Man of Steel not that? Jor-El wanted Clark to experience what it was like to be Human first right? Well being Human Sucks, especially if your different. And being a Superhero would Suck too.
    Be nothing but this all the time

But Superman does it cause He chooses to do it not cause it's some bullshit calling or something. He doesn't have to help people but he does. And people still give him shit. That's the reality of Snyder's Superman. He gave you a Superman and YOU said Not good enough. And that's what it would be like for Superman IF he were real. No matter HOW good he was he would never be good enough because people SUCK.

I love that someone may be attempting to show the actual immergence of super powers in a child. Like the X-Mens Cyclops tearing buildings apart with his eye blasters and being unable to control it, must have been terrifying to everybody near him. But Superboy had all sorts of super power behaviour that would scare the bejesus out of everyone around him, and if his parents still stuck around this kid, they were something special to be able to keep a lid on this. Like the myth of Jesus building birds out of little handfuls of clay, a Clark Kent could cut a bully in half if he wanted too. Or, hear what people say that upsets him, and rushes over there and chucks a desk at them. Levitate huge massive objects with his TK. I don’t know how you could control it in a kid like that, because if he doesn’t like what you say as a parent, he can hurt you, and then he knows he doesn’t have to fear anybody.

The really big challenge of course is how does one install self control in that super powered child, when he doesn’t need self control. Nothing can harm him in the world, so why does he have to worry? Myth has it that the Kent’s instilled this very secret game in their child, to never show his powers to anybody other than his parents, but you would never send him out to school in that case, because a young child doesn’t know when to control himself. He would have to be home-schooled, and then let out in adulthood. But then just say he ran away from home because of the restrictive nature of parenting. He would either run, or just fly away, and then how do you find him?

And as an aside to a grown Superman, I always wondered how Clark could accept the world as it is in America, with seeing all the injustice around him? How did Clark come around to the world being this compromise where the have and have-nots exist together. That crime exists and there couldn’t be a better way; that he just lets it go on like this? For Superman to hear all the crisis’ going on around the world, fix it on a continual basis, but not try to fix it at the source? It is so tedious to be a firefighter but not stop the source of why fires start. This is what I can’t understand about Superman. He is saying, “I believe humans need the freedom to be unjust all the time”.

There has to be a point where Superman must have accepted he can’t fix humanity, because they are unfixable.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-25-2018 at 10:07 PM.