Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Incredible Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I've had a change of opinion, this is an extended potshot aimed at those who thought this is what Man of Steel's Superman is like.
    This trailer definitely takes imagery from MoS's trailer.

  2. #17
    Incredible Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I've had a change of opinion, this is an extended potshot aimed at those who thought this is what Man of Steel's Superman is like.
    Youíre free to interpret it as that, but I really donít think thatís the reason it was made.

  3. #18
    Spectacular Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    174

    Default

    is that the berserk curse symbol?oh boy!it doesn't get darker or horrific than berserk.i can see the visual cues from the Man of steel with imagery of the swing and stuff like that.

  4. #19
    Spectacular Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    is that the berserk curse symbol?oh boy!it doesn't get darker or horrific than berserk.i can see the visual cues from the Man of steel with imagery of the swing and stuff like that.
    That was my first thought as well, ''Is that the brand from Berserk ?'' But i don't think it will be as hard core as Berserk. Is this film even R Rated ?

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,581

    Default

    Sick of Dark Superman, don't do horror movies period, definitely watching this. This looks absolutely fascinating. I'm very curious how much this is intended as commentary on Superman, and how much this is the standard horror movie "using the aesthetics of comforting artifacts of your childhood as a vehicle for terror". The 'there is good inside you' bit makes me lean towards the former.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; Yesterday at 04:30 PM.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,709

    Default

    It looks interesting but Supermanís reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.

  7. #22
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    7,056

    Default

    I'm pretty excited, Gunn is a filmmaking inspiration for me and I love Elizabeth Banks in everything she's in. Like I said in the movie thread over in the DC forums, I think that this is more of a letter to DC that Gunn is interested in making movies for them. It has the same kind of look and feel of MoS while being a complete subversion of the classic Superman story with his name plastered all over it. I think the best way to prove you know how to do something is by highlighting what not to do. It shows you understand what makes the character and that this subversion is just that, a subversion. Not trying to pass it off as a direct Superman story but taking the spirit of the idea and running a similar yet different direction with it.

    Superheroes are our modern myths, movies and stories like this not made by the big two were inevitable. I don't think this will hurt the brand at all, it's more of a reflection of the times. People like subversions more the original idea nowadays. It's why we get stories like MM being a scumbag or Jon Kent becoming a "bad" kid. It's not just superheroes.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  8. #23
    Incredible Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It looks interesting but Superman’s reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.
    Just wait until they make an Injustice movie. That will be the kiss of death for the character. We came seriously close to that with Snyder. It’s why I’d rather he be put on ice than ruined like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm pretty excited, Gunn is a filmmaking inspiration for me and I love Elizabeth Banks in everything she's in. Like I said in the movie thread over in the DC forums, I think that this is more of a letter to DC that Gunn is interested in making movies for them. It has the same kind of look and feel of MoS while being a complete subversion of the classic Superman story with his name plastered all over it. I think the best way to prove you know how to do something is by highlighting what not to do. It shows you understand what makes the character and that this subversion is just that, a subversion. Not trying to pass it off as a direct Superman story but taking the spirit of the idea and running a similar yet different direction with it.

    Superheroes are our modern myths, movies and stories like this not made by the big two were inevitable. I don't think this will hurt the brand at all, it's more of a reflection of the times. People like subversions more the original idea nowadays. It's why we get stories like MM being a scumbag or Jon Kent becoming a "bad" kid. It's not just superheroes.
    Not really. The response to MoS and BvS doesn’t agree with that at all. TLJ is very controversial for that reason also.

  9. #24
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    7,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just wait until they make an Injustice movie. That will be the kiss of death for the character. We came seriously close to that with Snyder. It’s why I’d rather he be put on ice than ruined like that.

    Not really. The response to MoS and BvS doesn’t agree with that at all. TLJ is very controversial for that reason also.
    A lot of people liked them and disliked them, some more than others. I know TLJ got a lot of hate but I loved it and a ton of people watched and bought it so there must've been a lot more people who liked it too. I don't see how TLJ is a subversion itself, there were moments like Luke tossing the saber or Kylo killing Snoke but nothing major enough to where I would call the whole film subversive. It's not Mulholland Drive, Memento, or Oldboy, those are movies where you go in and are constantly pushed and pulled around. Having expectations smashed or changed is part of a subversion but having moments doesn't make a whole film that.

    Snyder was building up the journey of Clark becoming Superman while still being in the costume. That's pretty subversive (and not very good, at-least his version) compared to the usual flow. Baby lands on Earth, nice family brings him in and teaches him good ideals and values, learns his heritage and becomes a symbol of peace and Justice when he grows up. Snyder's Superman follows this very loosely and was meant to do BECOME Superman at the end of Justice League.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member Arfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    This trailer definitely takes imagery from MoS's trailer.
    Heck, even the font is from Man of Steel.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,061

    Default

    So it's Goku if he hadn't hit his head? They're clearly taking pot shots at Snyder's Superman. Which I don't mind seeing as how I'm sick of "grimdark" Superman anyway.
    CONNER IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  12. #27
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    7,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Heck, even the font is from Man of Steel.
    That's the idea. MoS is most of the modern audiences view of Superman, so they want to invoke similar imagery.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just wait until they make an Injustice movie. That will be the kiss of death for the character. We came seriously close to that with Snyder. It’s why I’d rather he be put on ice than ruined like that.

    Not really. The response to MoS and BvS doesn’t agree with that at all. TLJ is very controversial for that reason also.
    I think they're responsive as long as it's not actually Superman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •