Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I've had a change of opinion, this is an extended potshot aimed at those who thought this is what Man of Steel's Superman is like.
    This trailer definitely takes imagery from MoS's trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I've had a change of opinion, this is an extended potshot aimed at those who thought this is what Man of Steel's Superman is like.
    You’re free to interpret it as that, but I really don’t think that’s the reason it was made.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

is that the berserk curse symbol?oh boy!it doesn't get darker or horrific than berserk.i can see the visual cues from the Man of steel with imagery of the swing and stuff like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    is that the berserk curse symbol?oh boy!it doesn't get darker or horrific than berserk.i can see the visual cues from the Man of steel with imagery of the swing and stuff like that.
    That was my first thought as well, ''Is that the brand from Berserk ?'' But i don't think it will be as hard core as Berserk. Is this film even R Rated ?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Sick of Dark Superman, don't do horror movies period, definitely watching this. This looks absolutely fascinating. I'm very curious how much this is intended as commentary on Superman, and how much this is the standard horror movie "using the aesthetics of comforting artifacts of your childhood as a vehicle for terror". The 'there is good inside you' bit makes me lean towards the former.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 12-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Buh-bye

It looks interesting but Superman’s reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.

I'm pretty excited, Gunn is a filmmaking inspiration for me and I love Elizabeth Banks in everything she's in. Like I said in the movie thread over in the DC forums, I think that this is more of a letter to DC that Gunn is interested in making movies for them. It has the same kind of look and feel of MoS while being a complete subversion of the classic Superman story with his name plastered all over it. I think the best way to prove you know how to do something is by highlighting what not to do. It shows you understand what makes the character and that this subversion is just that, a subversion. Not trying to pass it off as a direct Superman story but taking the spirit of the idea and running a similar yet different direction with it.

Superheroes are our modern myths, movies and stories like this not made by the big two were inevitable. I don't think this will hurt the brand at all, it's more of a reflection of the times. People like subversions more the original idea nowadays. It's why we get stories like MM being a scumbag or Jon Kent becoming a "bad" kid. It's not just superheroes.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It looks interesting but Superman’s reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.
    Just wait until they make an Injustice movie. That will be the kiss of death for the character. We came seriously close to that with Snyder. It’s why I’d rather he be put on ice than ruined like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm pretty excited, Gunn is a filmmaking inspiration for me and I love Elizabeth Banks in everything she's in. Like I said in the movie thread over in the DC forums, I think that this is more of a letter to DC that Gunn is interested in making movies for them. It has the same kind of look and feel of MoS while being a complete subversion of the classic Superman story with his name plastered all over it. I think the best way to prove you know how to do something is by highlighting what not to do. It shows you understand what makes the character and that this subversion is just that, a subversion. Not trying to pass it off as a direct Superman story but taking the spirit of the idea and running a similar yet different direction with it.

Superheroes are our modern myths, movies and stories like this not made by the big two were inevitable. I don't think this will hurt the brand at all, it's more of a reflection of the times. People like subversions more the original idea nowadays. It's why we get stories like MM being a scumbag or Jon Kent becoming a "bad" kid. It's not just superheroes.
    Not really. The response to MoS and BvS doesn’t agree with that at all. TLJ is very controversial for that reason also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just wait until they make an Injustice movie. That will be the kiss of death for the character. We came seriously close to that with Snyder. It’s why I’d rather he be put on ice than ruined like that.

Not really. The response to MoS and BvS doesn’t agree with that at all. TLJ is very controversial for that reason also.
    A lot of people liked them and disliked them, some more than others. I know TLJ got a lot of hate but I loved it and a ton of people watched and bought it so there must've been a lot more people who liked it too. I don't see how TLJ is a subversion itself, there were moments like Luke tossing the saber or Kylo killing Snoke but nothing major enough to where I would call the whole film subversive. It's not Mulholland Drive, Memento, or Oldboy, those are movies where you go in and are constantly pushed and pulled around. Having expectations smashed or changed is part of a subversion but having moments doesn't make a whole film that.

Snyder was building up the journey of Clark becoming Superman while still being in the costume. That's pretty subversive (and not very good, at-least his version) compared to the usual flow. Baby lands on Earth, nice family brings him in and teaches him good ideals and values, learns his heritage and becomes a symbol of peace and Justice when he grows up. Snyder's Superman follows this very loosely and was meant to do BECOME Superman at the end of Justice League.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    This trailer definitely takes imagery from MoS's trailer.
    Heck, even the font is from Man of Steel.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So it's Goku if he hadn't hit his head? They're clearly taking pot shots at Snyder's Superman. Which I don't mind seeing as how I'm sick of "grimdark" Superman anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Heck, even the font is from Man of Steel.
    That's the idea. MoS is most of the modern audiences view of Superman, so they want to invoke similar imagery.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I think they're responsive as long as it's not actually Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's called Brightburn. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but it's perfectly clear who this is supposed to be based on.

EDIT: Technically, Gunn is just the producer, but he clearly played a large role in making it.
    Technically, it looks good. Judged on it's own merits, it may be very good. But I cannot deny my visceral reaction which was: J***s H C****t, we've had grey leather suit with lousy father depressing Superman and even more depressing Superman with Batman. Here's a crazy idea. Do a Superman movie that actually embraces what Superman is. Then do depressing versions and horror versions but first give us an actual Superman movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

Maybe and yet they are apparently putting Superman on ice indefinitely which indicates they are not at all happy with the reaction to this movie iteration of Superman and are maybe hoping the movies can still work without a reboot if they just disassociate them from Superman and possibly this version of Batman. Granted, a story that is not Superman by name can still work.

Normally, I prefer to see movies before I read reviews and form my own opinions. But, in this case, I'll wait until the critics start reviewing it and see what they say.

But I'm generally not a fan of modern horror movies. I might think a Dark Superman was a great idea IF it didn't feel like we were already saturated with that and if we already had plenty of movies embracing Superman.
    Power with Girl is better.