Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Finished it yesterday. Excellent season and completely enjoyable. Great music, great storylines (mostly), and great humor.

Speculation about what happened at the end:

spoilers:
    Vanya is to blame again. Harlon has her powers now and Reginald now has a great interest in people with powers. Harlon is seen playing with a bird like toy a lot and it was probably a sparrow. Reginald probably acquires Harlon and studies him which leads to the formation of the Sparrow academy. Harlon would be in his 60's by 2019 so I expect we'll see him aged such in S3 and living at the Sparrow Academy.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Finished it yesterday. Excellent season and completely enjoyable. Great music, great storylines (mostly), and great humor.

spoilers:
    Vanya is to blame again. Harlon has her powers now and Reginald now has a great interest in people with powers. Harlon is seen playing with a bird like toy a lot and it was probably a sparrow. Reginald probably acquires Harlon and studies him which leads to the formation of the Sparrow academy. Harlon would be in his 60's by 2019 so I expect we'll see him aged such in S3 and living at the Sparrow Academy.
    end of spoilers
    Just to point this one out(and to suggest a "Comics..." aspect that folks might want to avoid until they finish this season...) -

That ending was quite a bit like the ending of The Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The world ended, but humanity didn't.
    There's no indication of that, and frankly, it's odd that no one brings it up

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    There's no indication of that, and frankly, it's odd that no one brings it up
    It'd be hard to kill all of Humanity just because chunks of the moon crashed on Earth. 5 went to the future and could breathe/live, so it makes sense that whoever survived the initial explosion would find a way to survive as well. Ditto with a nuclear war--you'd have pockets surviving. To me, the end of the world talk was basically hyperbole.

In any case, the writer of the show pretty much explained what happened at the end in interviews--I don't want to spoil it but you can google it. The next season will tie in elements of Hotel Oblivion and the new part that hasn't come out yet. The pandemic causing production stoppage of the show might help the show stay ahead of the comic book.

Ultimate Member

It'd be hard to kill all of Humanity just because chunks of the moon crashed on Earth. 5 went to the future and could breathe/live, so it makes sense that whoever survived the initial explosion would find a way to survive as well. Ditto with a nuclear war--you'd have pockets surviving. To me, the end of the world talk was basically hyperbole.

In any case, the writer of the show pretty much explained what happened at the end in interviews--I don't want to spoil it but you can google it. The next season will tie in elements of Hotel Oblivion and the new part that hasn't come out yet. The pandemic causing production stoppage of the show might help the show stay ahead of the comic book.
    Key plot elements shouldn't be explained in interviews, it should be in the story itself.

In the first season, 5 was around for decades and never saw another survivor.

In the second, he somehow travels to 1982, untouched by any destruction whatsoever, when in the series, nukes fly in the 60s.

Ultimate Member

Also, the piece of the moon that struck the planet and the friction lit everything on fire. I'm hard pressed to see how anyone could have survived.

Astonishing Member

Key plot elements shouldn't be explained in interviews, it should be in the story itself.
    I was referring to the Season 2 cliffhanger, which will presumably be explained in the next season.

In the first season, 5 was around for decades and never saw another survivor.
    He couldn't teleport anymore. He presumably was never able to really get out of the surrounding area. Random people living underground or happened to be in space or since it's a fantasy world, even off-planet or had super powers. You would only need a few people here and there to repopulate the planet. Life is really hard to kill off once it gets a foothold.

Spectacular Member

The second season already released on netflix. Yay

I'm predicting that season 3 will quickly do a "Two years later" time jump to account for Aiden Gallagher getting older. Plus since they jumped back to 2019 this would catch the show up to 2021 which optimistically be when we see S3.

I liked season 2 even better. It's a bizarre combination of stories. Part deadly serious exploration of social issues with very realistic characters. Part superhero action. Part ridiculous cartoon with cardboard cartoon characters with the time bureau. That it works together is amazing.

spoilers:
    I thought the portrayal of the time period was intensely real or felt like it. I was a small child at the time and wouldn't have seen these aspects of the adult world but the parts I do remember seemed quite authentic.
    end of spoilers
    Power with Girl is better.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Good assessment, especially the Sparrow part. I kept thinking Harlan would eventually become Vanya's father but that turned out to not be the explanation for his powers. I now expect him to show up as an old man too since she triggered something that gave him powers. I'd like to see Allison's husband show up as an old man but he'd be almost 90 so more likely a bittersweet visit to his grave. I'm assuming there will be some relevance to people with the same names and appearances being in old television and newspaper footage as suspects in the Kennedy assassination assuming they are still publicly known super beings in the present. And what was with that cryptic remark Kennedy made just before he was shot? Well, Jackie, here we go again??
    end of spoilers
    Power with Girl is better.

Finished it, really enjoyed it.. I dont know why but after everything. When Diego for the 20th time said he was gonna save the president and took off running. I just died laughing. Diego and Luthor both did things that came across as silly and Corny throughout. But its done so well.

Dude from Misfits who played the immortal and now plays Klause is the MVP for me. Just like with Misfits hes the standout actor for me. Everyone is great but Charlie Sheenan(Or something like that) seems to have a little extra of that X factor.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I finished it last night. Definitely enjoyed it. I thought it was a better version of season 1. A lot of similar beats and moments, but I liked the tone and the story more. Klaus and Five are my faves. Diego, Alison and Ben have their moments. Not a fan of Luther or Vanya. I'm not sure Luther's salvageable, but maybe Vanya can move from plot device to an actual character.

I'm excited for season 3, whenever that happens.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    That's interesting. spoilers:
    I thought we'd see Harlan (good catch on the bird thing) and Lila again but my assumption on the Sparrow switch was simply that Reggie was disappointed in the Umbrella team in the past and went in a different direction (although this all creates a paradox). He didn't meet Ben, so he made it back in but the rest would all be a reset. He remembered and was expecting the Umbrella folks.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Finished this earlier today, and I liked it a lot. The season was well paced, and it had a great blend of action, humor, and character interactions.

Klaus is my favorite, and I really want to see how much his powers can improve, since they keep teasing it. didn't think they could make Reginald any harsher, but wow, the scene where he makes Deigo stutter again, and the flashback where he give Ben's eulogy, were downright vicious.

As for the ending, there was no way everything would've been exactly the same after the characters messed around in the past so much and informed Reginald of their existence before he was supposed to know. I didn't expect him to collect an entirely different set of children though. In the meantime, I think I'm actually gonna give the comics a read.
    end of spoilers

I binged the first 2 seasons the past couple weeks..........Great stuff. I consider this the second best TV adaptation of a comic book, second only to The Boys.

Five is my favorite character, with Diego in second. I'm looking forward to season 3.

I decided to buy the comics. Is the comic continuously good, throughout, or does the quality dip at any point?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    and I had no idea Mary J. Blige was such a good actress.
    She has obviously gone through acting training. I saw one of her first acting jobs in the live theater adaptation of The Wiz on NBC a few years ago, she was downright horrible. I was prepared to see some more horrible acting from her in this show, but she did alright. I don't see her as having huge roles in the future, but she's adequate for the type of role she played in The Umbrella Academy.