Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Without trying to spoil too much or confuse you, they sort of threw the first two trades into a blender and made a season out of it.

- Klaus and Number Five's stories are largely pulled from the second trade.
    - The rest is a version of the first trade.

Notable exception being Ben. That stuff was all essentially created for television.
    Ok I like what they did with Ben.
    What's the deal with Hargraves in the last episode? Like the quick flash back was confusing as hell. Without putting any spoilers that whole intro to the final episode I'm not sure what that was for except to set up where Vanyas Violin came from

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    What's the deal with Hargraves in the last episode? Like the quick flash back was confusing as hell. Without putting any spoilers that whole intro to the final episode I'm not sure what that was for except to set up where Vanyas Violin came from
    From what I can recall, that(along with: Ben/Hazel and Cha-Cha being fleshed out/Diego having a love interest) was a "For Television" creation. Feels like they were just trying to pad out a season.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    From what I can recall, that(along with: Ben/Hazel and Cha-Cha being fleshed out/Diego having a love interest) was a "For Television" creation. Feels like they were just trying to pad out a season.
    There was some other stuff without giving anything away where Hargreeves has a glowing jar and a bunch of missiles launching around him. So confusing. Then bam hes at Ellis island I think

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

What?!?!? They ended it like that????? Arghhhh! That is seriously messed up!

I was wondering what they were going to do for the second season. I guess that answers that.

Okay, setting that ending aside, this series was brilliant. The actors were spot on, the dialogue and interaction was great. I like how they deviated a little from the comics (which I love), but not too much as to take away from the story in the comics.

The special effects were awesome too. I couldn't believe how cool they made everyone's powers, but especially Vanya's. That was amazing at the end. Loved how she went Dark Phoenix, but gradually and used the violin. Had they not used the violin in the show, I would have been very disappointed.

Another scene I really liked was the scene between Luther and Allison when they were in the park and he asked her to dance with him. Very tender moment between the two characters.

I would say this was one of Netflix's best original series ever. Right up there in the top 3

Can't wait for the second season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm not sure what you didn't understand about it so I'll recap what I took away from it from the gunshot onward. Allison decided not to kill Vanya but to deafen her, disabling her power. (Nice reversal of what Vanya did to her.) Vanya channeled the last thing she heard, the gunshot, into a tight beam that destroyed the moon, causing the actual apocalypse when the huge rock hit the earth. Number 5 then took them all to the past to have a second go at everything with hopefully a better ending. They all reverted to their younger selves, like Number 5 did when he first returned to the present.
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed the show a lot, the white violin sequence was great.
    spoilers:
    You sure? I thought she killed Vanya. I need to watch this again. Which is why I was confused about bringing Vanya back with them. I thought it was just some overload or discharge that hit the moon.

I have a lot of time travel logistical questions and not just with the ending but the commission as well.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's interesting that you say that, the original comic was very inspired by Morrison's Doom Patrol.
    I was referring to the new tv show not the original comic. Sorry if I was unclear. I have one or two gripes about Doom Patrol but will see how the show ultimately shakes out.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    spoilers:
    You sure? I thought she killed Vanya. I need to watch this again. Which is why I was confused about bringing Vanya back with them. I thought it was just some overload or discharge that hit the moon.

I have a lot of time travel logistical questions and not just with the ending but the commission as well.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm absolutely sure. Allison moves the gun to the side of Vanya's head before she fires it, we can look into the barrel at this point, which is close to Vanya's ear. I've heard of more people that seem to miss this. Maybe it's the bright light making things a bit unclear, and the expectation of a headshot to follow, after the gun was aimed for that for a pretty long moment.

I'm right there with you with regard to the commission.
    end of spoilers
    Live true or lie well.

spoilers:
    I'm absolutely sure. Allison moves the gun to the side of Vanya's head before she fires it, we can look into the barrel at this point, which is close to Vanya's ear. I've heard of more people that seem to miss this. Maybe it's the bright light making things a bit unclear, and the expectation of a headshot to follow, after the gun was aimed for that for a pretty long moment.

I'm right there with you with regard to the commission.
    end of spoilers
    Forsetti is right and its really obvious.

Loved the comic series when I came out, so I was kind of looking forward to this, but after watching the first episode, I came away... underwhelmed?

There's just something about the direction that feels off. The sets are great, everything looks nice, great effects, the actors are good - but the movement of the camera feels basic and naff, the visual flourishes are downright boring - right down to the basic-as-hell title and caption fonts - and when there's not a piece of licenced music being played, the music score sounds positively sitcomy. It's just a bit weird that a show that has a guy who's been living on the moon, a time-travelling kid, an android and a talking monkey doesn't seem to be embracing the vibe of the comics with both hands. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Deadly Class which I feel comparatively has been leaning right into the source material.

Do these elements get any better, or...?
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Finished off the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. As others have said it's less a direct adaptation of the comics, and more of putting many of the elements from the first two stories into a blender with vodka. Some primarily visual elements were missed, but it had the right vibe, and I can understand why they altered so much. Rather than force some things to work in a medium it was never designed for, they grabbed what would work and made it their own. I respect that, and honestly think it was the right call. So much of what made UA a good comic is limited to the medium itself, maybe they could have pulled it off in animation. Personally I'm happy to have both stories that are similar but distinct.

My only beef is spoilers:
    No Cowboy god.
    end of spoilers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

I think it was just to establish that he's some kind of alien. That's how he knows to do and build all the weird tech stuff. Also to sort of give him more of an explanation of him being a terrible father. It's might not be because he doesn't know enough about humanity to raise 7 children and be a good parent. Supposedly they live in modern times but their regular world also seemed way technologically backwards--like they are living in a timeline where some things were already changed and their technology had not yet caught up to ours yet.

They also seemed vague on almost everyone's power. It seems a lot of their power sets have room to grow. Also Luther is probably the worst leader in the history of comic book super teams ever. I'm surprised they tolerate his shitty leadership. There is a frustration when watching the last 4 episodes or so--yes in 99% of any normal family things would have never gotten to this point and the world wouldn't have ended--but we were watching the 1%.

The acting was superb. Klaus, 5, Vanya, and Hazel were all standouts, and no one was really bad.

Loved the series--haven't read the comics yet but I'm excited to start it now!

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I think it was just to establish that he's some kind of alien. That's how he knows to do and build all the weird tech stuff. Also to sort of give him more of an explanation of him being a terrible father. It's might not be because he doesn't know enough about humanity to raise 7 children and be a good parent. Supposedly they live in modern times but their regular world also seemed way technologically backwards--like they are living in a timeline where some things were already changed and their technology had not yet caught up to ours yet.

They also seemed vague on almost everyone's power. It seems a lot of their power sets have room to grow. Also Luther is probably the worst leader in the history of comic book super teams ever. I'm surprised they tolerate his shitty leadership. There is a frustration when watching the last 4 episodes or so--yes in 99% of any normal family things would have never gotten to this point and the world wouldn't have ended--but we were watching the 1%.

The acting was superb. Klaus, 5, Vanya, and Hazel were all standouts, and no one was really bad.

Loved the series--haven't read the comics yet but I'm excited to start it now!
    Ok I thought those were nuclear missiles but you think it was people abandoning an alien planet... makes sense

So in the beginning they say iono something like 42 kids were born and he was able to buy 7 of them. Do the other kids play a factor in the comics? Like other heroes and villains or did I just hear that wrong?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

So in the beginning they say iono something like 42 kids were born and he was able to buy 7 of them. Do the other kids play a factor in the comics? Like other heroes and villains or did I just hear that wrong?
    In the comics the other children aren't really an entity. I'm not caught up with the current mini-series, but I don't recall any of the other children being mentioned. If any of them had their own heroic or villainous stories I imagine they weren't important to the Umbrella Academy.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Ok I thought those were nuclear missiles but you think it was people abandoning an alien planet... makes sense
    When he let the lights out of the jar, I immediately thought those lights would become the children.
    Live true or lie well.

Hargieves is an alien. It's only mentioned once in the comics. Apparently his planet died like krypto and he is the only survivor.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

When he let the lights out of the jar, I immediately thought those lights would become the children.
    Thought the same thing but apparently that was on the wrong planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Hargieves is an alien. It's only mentioned once in the comics. Apparently his planet died like krypto and he is the only survivor.
    Ok so were all those people at elis island Alien refugees? Or is Hargreaves the only one who came to earth and just snuck into line with human immagrants and his origin is a secret.