Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

I may hAve had an advantage in not having read the comics. I enjoyed this thoroughly. And quite honestly, that surprised me.

Netflix has released news about how well the Umbrella Academy series performed for them per Deadline:

https://deadline.com/2019/04/netflix...oc-1202597002/

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline.com
    In its first quarter earnings report today, the streaming company has revealed that in the first four weeks on the service, Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s comic book adaptation was watched by 45M million households.

Netflix considers an episode as “viewed” if at least one episode has been watched at least 70% of the way through. Netflix zealously guards its data and has steadfastly refused to provide the kinds of ratings updates that its linear competitors do, even those not obligated to advertisers.
    So, given that Netflix doesn't ordinarily share viewer data, the fact that Umbrella Academy is one they DID share certainly means they were very happy about its performance.

Netflix has recently renewed UA for Season 2, but I guess this bodes well for even more seasons if viewership continues to hold.

I guess 45 million households over 10 episodes averages out to 4.5 million HH per episode.

Geez, comics really are taking over everywhere in today's media landscape! I'm glad to see the indy stuff also get adapted in addition to DC & Marvel.

Wouldn't mind seeing Howard Chaykin's American Flagg or other First Comics series like Jon Sable and Grimjack get a series. Once people see the variety of material that comics can offer, the more the medium can be appreciated and people like Bill Maher will be able to speak about comics with more credibility.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 04-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Season Two dropped earlier today. Gonna try to give it a watch over the weekend.

Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Fantastic Member

I just watched 3 episodes....definitely more action packed and a much faster pace...very good series so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Season Two dropped earlier today. Gonna try to give it a watch over the weekend.

Loved the first season, It'll be a while before I can binge the entire new season,
    Although, absolutely love their opening re-intro...

Last edited by Güicho; 07-31-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Don't know how many chances they get in this time-line, but all in black they look badass.

Unfortunately I work all this weekend, so I'll have to wait until next week to watch this. But I definitely plan to binge it when I can, season 1 was one of my favorite shows last year.

I've watched 3 episodes of season 2 and so far I think it's been more enjoyable/had better story pacing than season 1. Also I'm very surprised how much I'm enjoying the Allison and Diego (who has DEFINITELY gotten hotter) subplots.The end of the 3rd episode had me cringing
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

I enjoyed this season as much as the last, but I really wish they'd clarify about the commission and how it protects the timeline. They let past multiple chances to clarify that there are several different timelines, and that just makes it odd.

Minor but important detail, IMO

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I enjoyed this season as much as the last, but I really wish they'd clarify about the commission and how it protects the timeline. They let past multiple chances to clarify that there are several different timelines, and that just makes it odd.

Minor but important detail, IMO
    The way I understood it, they were from the future and because time travel had been invented, (and possibly not-too-hard to get tech), you had various time travelers wandering around doing things and their job was to protect and maintain (their original) timeline so that they would all exist. But to me, it seemed the time commission was also corrupt and clearly everyone was freelancing all the time anyway, so who knows if the whole thing was basically a scam and their original timeline is going to mostly happen no matter what.

What I didn't like was that they used a lot of the same tropes of the first season--they are all separated and then they have to come back together. I wanted to see them together working as a team and didn't want to wait through all of the filler plots to make that happen again. That said, the characterizations were better, they were all a lot more likeable this time out and I liked that they all got their own moments to shine and show that they were badasses. The acting is fantastic all around, there are really no weak links in the cast. Kate Walsh is fantastically awesome as The Handler and hopefully we get to see her again at some point.

Overall, I thought it was better than the first season, just because it was more light hearted. Yes, a feel of the jokes were cringeworthy but I also laughed out loud several times and liked the overall tone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The way I understood it, they were from the future and because time travel had been invented, (and possibly not-too-hard to get tech), you had various time travelers wandering around doing things and their job was to protect and maintain (their original) timeline so that they would all exist. But to me, it seemed the time commission was also corrupt and clearly everyone was freelancing all the time anyway, so who knows if the whole thing was basically a scam and their original timeline is going to mostly happen no matter what.
    How could they be from the future though, if the world ends? They were focused on enabling that in both seasons

So I'm half way through season 2. Avoiding spoilers but can someone answer one question. Does this season at any point address what happened to the other Kids who were born that day. Seems weird to mention 46 kids or however many but we see less then 10.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So I'm half way through season 2. Avoiding spoilers but can someone answer one question. Does this season at any point address what happened to the other Kids who were born that day. Seems weird to mention 46 kids or however many but we see less then 10.
    Keep watching.

How could they be from the future though, if the world ends? They were focused on enabling that in both seasons
    The world ended, but humanity didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    More than once actually.