Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

How is this do much better than (at least for me) the marvel shows?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    How is this do much better than (at least for me) the marvel shows?
    Feel like they spent more money on it(no idea if they did but it feels like it watching it) and is bigger In scope. Also less episodes so they didnt beat around the Bush as much. That said I wouldnt say it's better then the best of the Marvel Netflix stuff. First half of DD season 2 is my favorite thing on Netflix. Then they switch from Punisher to the nonsense hand stuff. Again first half of Luke Cage season 1 before Mahershala Ali leaves was amazing imo. Really loved both Seasons of Punisher and Jessica Jones season 1 was pretty good. Iono where I'm put Unbrella acadmay it's up there though by the top.

What I liked best about This show was the weird tone. Like sometimes it left me asking myself if I was suppose to be taking it seriously with some of the wonky weird **** happening. But then it suck me back in and be very grounded. They balanced the tone well. And I've said it like 5times already but more Robert Sheehan In Everything. Whe he slaps 5 I the dudes office was the best moment of the show for me. I cackled like a Hyena
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-20-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Only one episode more to go and I can honestly say I don’t need another Dark Phoenix Story for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thought the same thing but apparently that was on the wrong planet.
    Wouldn't that explain why it took so long before they were born?
    Live true or lie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Wouldn't that explain why it took so long before they were born?
    I guess so. I find it weird though that they point out there was like 40 something kids and he only got 7 and everyone said the rest of the kids never come up in the comics. Does he have to do something to these kids to manifest there powers or did they just decide later to not use the other 30 something kids that should have powers.

I guess so. I find it weird though that they point out there was like 40 something kids and he only got 7 and everyone said the rest of the kids never come up in the comics. Does he have to do something to these kids to manifest there powers or did they just decide later to not use the other 30 something kids that should have powers.
    A couple of things...

On the kids and their powers, it sort of assumes that they would even have had powers of note. In the comics, The Kraken's(Diego) main power is that he is able to hold his breath underwater indefinitely(from what they can tell). As powers go, that's not exactly Earth shattering. Never mind the children like Klaus or Ben who have wanted to hide their powers because of the physical/mental toll.

On that they haven't come up, the three story lines(one in progress/two complete) don't really cover a vast amount of time. That said, there is a potential development in the latest story. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Thought the same thing but apparently that was on the wrong planet.

Ok so were all those people at elis island Alien refugees? Or is Hargreaves the only one who came to earth and just snuck into line with human immagrants and his origin is a secret.
    I believe he is the only one. In the book it's only an after thought that he is an alien and they never mention it again. There is another mention of aliens in the book but they omitted it from the show. It also makes it apparent that the children's birth are not connected to the other aliens
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Finished off the show last night. I very much enjoyed it. As others have said it's less a direct adaptation of the comics, and more of putting many of the elements from the first two stories into a blender with vodka. Some primarily visual elements were missed, but it had the right vibe, and I can understand why they altered so much. Rather than force some things to work in a medium it was never designed for, they grabbed what would work and made it their own. I respect that, and honestly think it was the right call. So much of what made UA a good comic is limited to the medium itself, maybe they could have pulled it off in animation. Personally I'm happy to have both stories that are similar but distinct.

My only beef is spoilers:
    No Cowboy god.
    end of spoilers
    He was kinda racist so I can completely understand why it was changed
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Only one episode more to go and I can honestly say I don’t need another Dark Phoenix Story for the rest of my life.
    You gotta admit though, it's the best one out there, easily equal to the original

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    He was kinda racist so I can completely understand why it was changed
    Yeah maybe, it's been the better part of a decade since I've read Dallas. I just think as a visual element it would have been nice. Since they were doing the seen anyway at least.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I finished it today and liked it. Some moments could have been better like the Diego spares Cha-Cha scene but I thought it was good. I'm curious what they are gonna do for season 2 and whether or not they will answer the big questions of the comics( how did 6 die? where are the other 36 special kids? where did Hargreeves come from etc?).

Diego's scenes with Grace aka Mom-bot was my favorite scenes(RIP).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I finished it today and liked it. Some moments could have been better like the Diego spares Cha-Cha scene but I thought it was good. I'm curious what they are gonna do for season 2 and whether or not they will answer the big questions of the comics( how did 6 die? where are the other 36 special kids? where did Hargreeves come from etc?).

Diego's scenes with Grace aka Mom-bot was my favorite scenes(RIP).
    Gerard Way said it takes 18 months to complete a season. (Who knows if they've already started pre-production on Season 2, I would guess 'Yes') And that he plans for the comics to stay ahead of the TV series in terms of answering/touching on a lot of the questions from the comics. Also, he says the show writers know everything from his outlines--so they can also foreshadow stuff that readers from the comics don't pick up on.

The comics have always been on my radar but I never read them. Once I began to hear rumours of the series I took it off of my long reading list thinking it might be fun to just watch the show first.

I absolutely loved this show. Mainly for the portrayal of the characters by the actors, from the script and the actor focused direction. My non comic reading wife is having withdrawal symptoms already, which bodes well for ratings.

To me the show felt like X-Men crossed with Watchmen. The characters and set-up feels very X-Mansion, and the sensibility, with the flashbacks and especially the portrayal of the action in the final episode feels very Watchmen. It doesn’t have the deep commentary that Watchmen has. For me this is the kind of intimate and character focused storytelling that the X-Men should have but hardly ever do on screen. It also felt very Wes Anderson especially The Royal Tenenbaums.

My main questions to those that have read the books would be that white violin scene, which is surely time related not just alien, and whether the original also has this X-Men under an even more dysfunctional Xavier sensibility. Also, given that Hazel and Cha Cha are so similar in portrayal to DeBlanc & Fiore in the Preacher TV series, so were they “inspired” by The Umbrella Academy comics?

The one thing I wasn’t a fan of was the use of pop music. The music choices were OK but something about how the tracks were so high in the mix made them sit wrong for me.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-23-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The comics have always been on my radar but I never read them. Once I began to hear rumours of the series I took it off of my long reading list thinking it might be fun to just watch the show first.

I absolutely loved this show. Mainly for the portrayal of the characters by the actors, from the script and the actor focused direction. My non comic reading wife is having withdrawal symptoms already, which bodes well for ratings.

To me the show felt like X-Men crossed with Watchmen. The characters and set-up feels very X-Mansion, and the sensibility, with the flashbacks and especially the portrayal of the action in the final episode feels very Watchmen. It doesn’t have the deep commentary that Watchmen has. For me this is the kind of intimate and character focused storytelling that the X-Men should have but hardly ever do on screen. It also felt very Wes Anderson especially The Royal Tenenbaums.

My main questions to those that have read the books would be that white violin scene, which is surely time related not just alien, and whether the original also has this X-Men under an even more dysfunctional Xavier sensibility. Also, given that Hazel and Cha Cha are so similar in portrayal to DeBlanc & Fiore in the Preacher TV series, so were they “inspired” by The Umbrella Academy comics?

The one thing I wasn’t a fan of was the use of pop music. The music choices were OK but something about how the tracks were so high in the mix made them sit wrong for me.
    On "That White Violin Scene...", there some sort of a more specific question there?

On Hazel/Cha Cha, along with a few other elements of this show they are almost completely a "For Television" creation.

As for the show, it is almost entirely the Legion cookie cutter pressed into the previously existing IP.