Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    That doesn't explain why they nerf her in the comics. Or why aquaman has more events than her this decade and does more things than her who is just there in JL. Or how aquaman has a better lifting feat in his movie than her. So they have more faith in aquaman, despite the fact he hasn't achieved as much as her?
    Allow me to point out that objects "weigh less" under water so to speak due to buoyancy, the water produces an upward force on the object so Aquaman is not lifting the full weight of that submarine

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    But superman is not getting nerfed as often as WW. And his villains are also more respected when writers use them.
    Like Siege said, the piles of crap are slightly different, and Diana's is a little bigger, but its still two piles of crap.

Remember when marston died,
    Well he died almost forty years before I was born, so no.

and they started nerfing her and makig her more concern about getting married and being a housewife than a hero? Or the crap from priest. The writer that got WW shot in his rebirth jl run, and got a nun killed by WW's sword. The same writer that said about WW years ago, that he can't connect with white women in tiaras talking big talk. His fave WW era is the era when she had NO SUPER POWERS. Perez left because of how poorly DC treats WW. I see many examples of DC treating her badly.
    Who's saying DC treats her well? Not me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Darkseid was once used as fodder for Batman.
    That was interesting since even though Batman beat Darkseid, in doing so his hubris resulted in Orion's death because Darkseid used the bullet Batman fired at him to kill Orion. So it was a scene where the "Batgod" FAILED.
    I quite enjoyed Batman when he was the World's Greatest Detective. Now he's the World's Greatest Everything, and I find him boring. And I'm having a hard time remembering the last time he did any interesting detectiving.
    Yeah, when you look at what each member of the JLA is best at, THAT is what Batman is best at.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Thanks; didn't help much, sadly.

I sat down and read it, and I get a wholly different impression of Priest's view of Wonder Woman. Now, it's a bit histrionic in places, but it has some really interesting insights as well, especially once one remembers that Priest is a black American.

E.g., while Priest does say Wonder Woman is boring, but he gives a reason: "DC Comics, perhaps in some effort to protect their corporate interest, has traditionally handcuffed writers and artists on WW". Or as he writes later, "Wonder Woman is not a dull concept, but she has, for very long stretches, been a dull character."

I'm not sure Priest is the right writer for Wonder Woman. But I do think he is onto something here: that Wonder Woman the character suffers from the weight of her IP at DC. The writers are writing about the characters around her because they aren't allowed to say anything interesting about Diana.
    I find his claim that all writers feel handcuffed off given that lack of consistency is one of Diana’s most noted problems. How exactly are they being hand cuffed when they can come in and do whatever they want, igniting the previous run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find his claim that all writers feel handcuffed off given that lack of consistency is one of Diana’s most noted problems. How exactly are they being hand cuffed when they can come in and do whatever they want, igniting the previous run.
    *shrug*

I wouldn't claim Priest's text is well-written or that well-reasoned; most especially it conflates Priest's own views on what is interesting into the general case of interesting.

The fact is, nobody has had a consistently winning vision for the character in a long time. Any real vision for the book has to be filtered through DC's legal and merchandising team, so it's not like I could turn her into Queen Of The Bitches or anything.
    Disregard the "Queen of The Bitches" here. What Priest is saying is that attempt to reimagine Wonder Woman runs into the corporate IP machine, who all knows the character is worth big bucks but the people running the corporate IP machine understands the character all that well either.

Or as he Priest writes later:

I think Wonder Woman has lots of potential, but I could think of no greater nightmare than having to write her book every month, under the then-atmosphere of must-not-rock-boat. My fill-in stories usually surrounded WW with colorful characters since she herself was, by edict, quite pale.
    So instead of getting to play up a specific aspect of Wonder Woman that Priest found interesting to write about in a set cast, he had to vary her cast in order to write interesting stories with a constant Diana. And the corporate IP machine has forced Diana into being "the goody-two-shoes demi-goddess", in Priest's opinion. Granted, the text was also written fifteen years ago, so before Rucka came in with his first run.

So I think Priest may not be a good fit for writing Wonder Woman, but I also think that his instincts were correct in the way DC handled her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Perez quit DC, disgusted at DC treatment of WW in 1990s.
    Sorry, do you have an interview or something that backs up that info? I'm studying Perez's run and that would be of great help!

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Sorry, do you have an interview or something that backs up that info? I'm studying Perez's run and that would be of great help!
    It's from Perez Wikipedia article.
    [IIt was during this run in 1991 that Pérez encountered problems working with DC.[44] Pérez has stated that since the storyline's inception, which ran through the Wonder Woman comic and crossed over into others, he had trouble writing the War of the Gods storyline, mostly due to editorial problems.[44] Pérez felt that DC was not doing enough to celebrate Wonder Woman's 50-year anniversary.[16] To make matters worse in his eyes, DC did not place War of the Gods in newsstand distribution, which meant that the comic book could only be found in comics specialty shops. Pérez had built up a plot to marry the characters Steve Trevor and Etta Candy in his final issue. When he discovered that DC editors had decided to not only pass the Wonder Woman title's writing to William Messner-Loebs and have Messner-Loebs write the final wedding scene, Pérez quit the title and separated himself from DC for several years.[44] In 1992, he was guest inker on Deathstroke the Terminator issues #10-11.

Also in 1991, Pérez signed on to pencil the six-issue limited series Infinity Gauntlet for Marvel Comics, which was written by Jim Starlin.[45] However, due to the turbulence happening concurrently with War of the Gods, this was a very stressful personal period for Pérez, and he was not able to finish penciling the entire run of Infinity Gauntlet, leaving the project part way through issue #4. The Infinity Gauntlet editorial team decided to find a replacement artist to finish the miniseries, and Ron Lim was the artist chosen (although Pérez offered to remain on as the inker over Lim's cover art for the remainder of the miniseries).

Because of the debacles over War of the Gods and The Infinity Gauntlet, Pérez began to gain a reputation as a creator who could not finish projects as planned. Furthering that impression, he worked with independent comic book publishers Malibu Comics, drawing Break-Thru and Ultraforce (both titles were part of Malibu's Ultraverse imprint), and then working at Tekno Comix drawing I-Bots. However, despite being paid well by both publishers, he had no enthusiasm drawing the characters, and lost interest in drawing the titles.
    [/I]
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 12-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.