Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue 6 preview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This is why I wonder why people say Superman in MoS should have taken the fight away from the city. When your moving at this kind of speed is anywhere safe?

BANNED

I love that Bendis touches on the big criticism about Lois keeping up with Clark in their relationship.

Looking forward to just how the hell Jon's return fits into the climax, I'm expecting a flash-forward of some kind

Master Hero Vladimir

Looking forward to this! As always, Ivan Reis is an art god.

Astonishing Member

Yeah this role works a lot better for Zod then trying to be a reoccurring enemy. Better as a Vegeta than a Frieza.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

In the sixth month, I came to Bendis and Reis with valid awe of their relationship.

I love that here we see Superman struggling with how he should feel about this fight, that a part of him actually wants Zod to take this guy out. Whether Superman ends up feeling he can't watch a killing take place before his eyes or not (considering Zaar doesn't take the upper hand back on his own merits), its nice to get a three-dimensional Superman. That is a good Superman.

As far as the Lois stuff...I'll be honest, after #1004 and now seeing a little nugget thrown in about past misgivings on Lois's end about their relationship...it reads as more foreboding than soothing despite the positive nature of Superman's thought there. Its almost asking me to look out for the other shoe to drop. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, I know its a touchy subject. Its genuinely the first time I've had these thoughts about any real possibility of a wrench. On the plus side for those who have been worried about marital problems from the get-go...I tend to see foreshadowing a lot, and a decent portion of the time it ends up being nothing.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    As far as the Lois stuff...I'll be honest, after #1004 and now seeing a little nugget thrown in about past misgivings on Lois's end about their relationship...it reads as more foreboding than soothing despite the positive nature of Superman's thought there. Its almost asking me to look out for the other shoe to drop. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, I know its a touchy subject. Its genuinely the first time I've had these thoughts about any real possibility of a wrench. On the plus side for those who have been worried about marital problems from the get-go...I tend to see foreshadowing a lot, and a decent portion of the time it ends up being nothing.
    No feathers ruffled, I trust Bendis with this first year more than I trust Geoff with his own event, I'm more cautious about where they end up after Doomsday Clock and what Bendis does once he starts covering the aftermath.

*shrugs* I truly can't see this opening about Lois as anything more than Bendis continuing the trend in this book (since issue 2) of having Clark relating moments of his life to the task at hand. If fact, this is the third time he has used an interaction with Lois or an example that she's set as a point of reflection for the task at hand. Even though the below starts out as a conversation with Green Arrow, it's his wife's words that he used as the counter argument.

More than possible. Probable, most likely. Lois in #1004 I still see as majorly out of character though, and that's surely influencing my being at alert.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’m as paranoid as anyone over Lois, but I honestly don’t think Bendis would be outright lying about his goals and motives for their relationship if he planned to separate them - like he said in the CBR interview:

And people who read #1004 saw Lois literally look at the camera and say "We're not breaking up," but they still are asking if they're breaking up. And it just goes to show how fragile a relationships like this can be. I'm so grateful that people have passion about this, but my goal isn't to break them up. I think they're one of the most passionate, loving couples ever. I just want to get back to that.

He’s said that marriages all have their own special issues and that couples need to work to keep them stable. I see this as more of that. Plus, it directly confronts a criticism leveled at their relationship, that she slows him down or keeps him from being the hero he could be. And he has Superman refute that explicitly.

Also, Johns has zero editorial influence over anything anymore, in particular Superman. We’ll be lucky if any of the titles are required to deal with Doomsday Clocks fallout at all. If we aren’t seeing that fallout already here.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I love that here we see Superman struggling with how he should feel about this fight, that a part of him actually wants Zod to take this guy out. Whether Superman ends up feeling he can't watch a killing take place before his eyes or not (considering Zaar doesn't take the upper hand back on his own merits), its nice to get a three-dimensional Superman. That is a good Superman.
    It really feels like a modern perspective on the original Black Zero situation. Jax Ur's even there.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I really like Superman's inner thoughts and his having concerns and worries. The beginning of this series was garbage imo. But the last two issues have really picked up and I'm finding myself really enjoying it.

The art is beautiful as always. Not a big fan of all the splash pages. Just a lazy way to waste space but it kinda works here and the action it portrays is great.

Looking forward to this.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I really like Superman's inner thoughts and his having concerns and worries. The beginning of this series was garbage imo. But the last two issues have really picked up and I'm finding myself really enjoying it.

The art is beautiful as always. Not a big fan of all the splash pages. Just a lazy way to waste space but it kinda works here and the action it portrays is great.

Looking forward to this.
    I agree about big splash pages, of course. They make any decompressed comic book run feel sparse, over too fast, not worth the money sometimes, particularly if a book is all splash pages (thereby having all of about 10 pages of content). Bendis's books are very decompressed but at least skate on the fact that we get two books, and there's denser, less splashy storytelling going on in Action.

But then we get Ivan Reis splash pages. Which at least make me rethink that a little because they're so pretty and usually pretty instantly iconic. (I mean in the case of Green Lantern back in the day, actually trying to count every character on a splash actually felt like a scavenger hunt of epic proportions worth the time and money well spent.). Only a few other artists seem to have the ability to capture the "big detail splash" like that, and the only one coming to mind immediately in the DC house is Fabok.

So yeah ... go get em' Zod.

Expecting as is usually the case with decompressed arcs that all the punch-em-ups and big spread out last few issues aside, this final issue in the arc will actually finally give us some interesting tidbits to chew on - usually all done in like five pages, the resolution resolves, gives way to a few interesting answers to finally chew on after a whole lot of inflated conflict, and then some tease at the end is actually neat. Excited for that.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com