Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default "Gimmick" Celebrities That Turned Out To Actually Be Talented....

This comes from Grey Lensman's post on the Controversial Opinions Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Lady Gaga tried to just sing music initially, but failed to get much notice. It's only after she went all outlandish that anyone cared for what her music was like.
    Way back in his breakout days, I thought there was no way that Prince was going to last once people tired of his antics, and I can see that people might have thought the same of Elton John. Both of them proved to have real talent that lasted over time.

Who else is out there like that who's image masks their very real abilities? (not just limited to musicians)

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Jim Carrey is a failed actor who turned out to be a talented artist.

If thats failure then damn

The thing about Gaga though was afaik her gimmicks were designed because the corporate music industry wouldn't let her on stage because she didn't have 'the right look' so she had to generate her own hype via stunts.
    Last edited by jetengine; 12-09-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Carrey just quit acting; his career was doing fine and dandy.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

I don't think Jim Carrey was ever a failed actor. His career kept going upward until very recently as he's gotten older.
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-09-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    If thats failure then damn

The thing about Gaga though was afaik her gimmicks were designed because the corporate music industry wouldn't let her on stage because she didn't have 'the right look' so she had to generate her own hype via stunts.
    That sounds like Christina Aguilera doing her over the top 'sex sells' routine. I am mostly convinced that it was to permanently break the 'virginal pop idol' image they wanted to stuff her in.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This comes from Grey Lensman's post on the Controversial Opinions Thread:
    Way back in his breakout days, I thought there was no way that Prince was going to last once people tired of his antics, and I can see that people might have thought the same of Elton John. Both of them proved to have real talent that lasted over time.

Who else is out there like that who's image masks their very real abilities? (not just limited to musicians)
    Well, obviously, Mr. T. [I'm joking].
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, obviously, Mr. T. [I'm joking].
    Fun fact - he called himself that so that white people would have to call him "Mr." He had childhood memories of his father, uncle, and older brother always being called 'boy.'

That sounds like Christina Aguilera doing her over the top 'sex sells' routine. I am mostly convinced that it was to permanently break the 'virginal pop idol' image they wanted to stuff her in.
    If you're going to credit sexy-as-a-gimmick, then Madonna? I can't say she did it first, but she did it for like decades...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Mighty Member

never liked him or his work. acting or artwork... it's all the same for me.

let's put it this way... if he weren't a celebrity and didn't consistently try to make politically provocative works.... how many people would be praising his artwork? I'd sooner read Doonesbury or look up what Aaron MacGruder is doing lately.

I'm not saying Carrey doesn't have a certain type of talent... but, I have always disliked what he DOES with that talent.

Nah. Its a common trope in the Corporate Music industry iirc.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    let's put it this way... if he weren't a celebrity and didn't consistently try to make politically provocative works.... how many people would be praising his artwork? I'd sooner read Doonesbury or look up what Aaron MacGruder is doing lately.
    TBH, I don't see that he has any talent outside of his acting/comedy. There's no way that anyone can honestly say he's a failure at his acting/comedy.

Honestly, no one has mentioned a "gimmick" celeb yet, imo. The talent of all of these people was very clear before anyone ever heard of them.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Weird Al. The man is still going strong decades after he started. If he was not really talented he would have faded away a long time ago.

Jonah Hill?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Boisterously Confused

People forget that Tom Hanks began as a goof-ball actor/standup dude, whose first notable role was in a cheesy two-season sit-com.

Incredible Member

This is too long ago for most of you, but - Tiny Tim was a long-haired ukulele-playing weirdo who sang really old songs in a quavering falsetto. The media treated him as a joke, but he was a genuine musicologist and scholar of early 20th century music.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org