Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    This is too long ago for most of you, but - Tiny Tim was a long-haired ukulele-playing weirdo who sang really old songs in a quavering falsetto. The media treated him as a joke, but he was a genuine musicologist and scholar of early 20th century music.
    I remember him. He got married on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    People forget that Tom Hanks began as a goof-ball actor/standup dude, whose first notable role was in a cheesy two-season sit-com.
    To be honest, I wish he would do a comedy again.
    Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    To be honest, I wish he would do a comedy again.
    Me too (now that my own harrowing renovations are many years in the past), I find The Money Pit hilarious. Still, his performances in Saving Private Ryan, Philadelphia, Castaway, and Apollo 13 were better than fair.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were a joke band, but ended up being a band that performed nude, wearing only socks over their junk, that's hung around now for 30 years, and had major success. Flea is arguably one of the best bassists of all time.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 12-12-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Beastie Boys - gimmicky white boy rappers. They went from junk like "She's on it" to much better stuff and a 20 year career.

Kylie Minogue - Aussie soap opera star turned singer. debuted with a cheesy cover of "the Locomotion" in 1988 followed by a series of hits, including a duet with Nick Cave, and remains popular thirty years later.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Jpop and youtube sensation. Her crazy/silly song "Pon pon" went viral in 2011 and she remains popular in 2018. Far as Jpop Idoru go that's like the Rolling stones' endurance!

Boisterously Confused

The Beatles. "Sergeant Pepper" showed us they weren't just A Pop Boy Band, and they never looked back (even when some of them got weird later).

The Rolling Stones. (I can't substantiate this, but) Their original producer allegedly called them "My little Three-Chord Shits" for years. They went from a deliberately designed Beatles knock-off to (an apparently undead) musical force of nature.

Ultimate Member

The Police -- three seasoned musicians initially masquerading as a 80s punk band.
    Blur -- four talented musicians initially marketed as a 90s "Madchester" group.
    Pantera (Ratt, Poison, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Motley Crue, etc) -- "glam" bands that helped redefine rock and metal

The Cure
    Slipknot
    The Archies
    Wu-Tang Clan
    The Darkness
    Gorillaz
    Primus
    Jimi...

"In September 1963, after Cox was discharged from the Army, he and Hendrix moved to Clarksville, Tennessee, and formed a band called the King Kasuals. Hendrix had watched Butch Snipes play with his teeth in Seattle and by now Alphonso 'Baby Boo' Young, the other guitarist in the band, was performing this guitar gimmick. Not to be upstaged, Hendrix learned to play with his teeth.

He later commented: "The idea of doing that came to me... in Tennessee. Down there you have to play with your teeth or else you get shot. There's a trail of broken teeth all over the stage."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 12-13-2018 at 11:13 PM.

The Beatles. "Sergeant Pepper" showed us they weren't just A Pop Boy Band, and they never looked back (even when some of them got weird later).
    For me, they started getting really good in Rubber Soul (with a few moments of genius before that), but it was clear from even the early stuff that

The Rolling Stones. (I can't substantiate this, but) Their original producer allegedly called them "My little Three-Chord Shits" for years. They went from a deliberately designed Beatles knock-off to (an apparently undead) musical force of nature.
    They might have been a Beatles knock-off visually, but musically they were an R&B band.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers were a joke band
    No they weren't. They were goofy, and fun, but they always took what they did seriously from a musical perspective.

I give you Ken Jeong. Actor...comedian...Medical Doctor!

Dr. Ken Jeong.jpg

Ken Jeong is a Korean-American actor, comedian and physician, best known for his role as the comedic gangster Leslie Chow in 'The Hangover' film franchise.

...While working as a practicing physician, seeing patients for seven years at Kaiser Permanente, Jeong performed at Los Angeles' famed Improv and Laugh Factory comedy clubs. His side gigs gave him the experience he needed to secure higher-profile entertainment jobs, and he soon appeared on ABC’s The View and earned the title "The Funniest Doctor in America."...
    This is one seriously talented individual.

https://www.biography.com/people/ken-jeong-20996403

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Conga line sex kitten Charo is now one of the most respected flamenco guitarists in the world.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers were a joke band
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    No they weren't. They were goofy, and fun, but they always took what they did seriously from a musical perspective.
    While I would agree, I could certainly see how a band that was that heavy on the Parliament/Funkadelic feeling like "JOKE".

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Conga line sex kitten Charo is now one of the most respected flamenco guitarists in the world.

Huh! Had no idea. That's neat!

The biggest example of this I can think of is, of course, the Monkees.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

MF Doom probably

Also Digital Underground.