Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

All I can say is ... O5 are no way below 30.
    Bobby is the youngest and I’d say he’s 31 or 32.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Sadly the characters have been de-aging in some cases. Read Domino's current solo by Gail Simone. Domino should be in her mid-late thirties, but is written like an awkward 20-year-old.

Sabretooth is older than Wolverine, and tends to be written like a dumb frat-boy jock. He's recently been stated to be on dating sites, using smart-phones and texting with emojis and speaking with words like "man." - "Stryker, looks like we just killed ya, man." And how he mentions lurking on twitter.

Honestly, the de-aging of some characters is even worse. No way the current Domino would've ever been in a relationship with Cable. Currently she's dating Warpath, and calling him stuff like "beef-cake" and "hot guy I like to play smash-mouth with."

I prefer the more old-fashioned adult characters, rather than the newfound millennial characters.
    I know right!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    Yeah, he's totally written as a 30-something who's only just come out. He can act pretty juvenile, but people in the West now are just young for longer than they were when the X-Men books started in the 60s. Meanwhile, Scott has been married twice, dead twice and had a kid, and he acts very much like a more old-fashioned concept of a thirty-something adult, as does Storm.

On my Grindr profile I use the sliding timescale to calculate my age. lol

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People need to start treating all comics like Archie and stop worrying about ages.

The characters age changes based on whatever is needed.

Example. In the 90's Deadpool, Wade had Siryn as a love interest. So she had to have been a grown woman, as Wade certainly wasn't a young man at the time. JDW says he's between 45-50 now. Meanwhile, in the 90's GenX, Monet was 16 or 17 when the series ended. Come X-Factor, she appears to be Siryn's age group & they slept with the same guy.

Emma's age received good bits of debate when she's stated to be no older than 28 now, which makes her young as fuck with some of her earlier stories.
    Well, Wade is probably older than Xavier.
    Madrox and Siryn were said to be around the same age in Fallen Angels (they're supposed to be older than Roberto and Boomer).
    Monet was introduced after them as a teenager while the two were now adults.
    So Monet is probs early 20s and Jamie and Theresa are above 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    Spider-Man debuted at age 15 BEFORE the X-Men first appeared. Bobby's no older than Peter, so he should be 28-29.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It really isn't something one can figure out, it's not worth trying to be honest. You have hundreds of characters being handled by dozens of creators for a period spanning Five decades in a fiction that doesn't play out in real time. Occasionally you might get an established age for a character that works okay, but for the most part it's better to keep things in vague terms like characters being: teenagers, young adults, rookies, veterans, elders, etc. Sometimes where a character falls can be conditional or a matter of preference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Spider-Man debuted at age 15 BEFORE the X-Men first appeared. Bobby's no older than Peter, so he should be 28-29.
    Which is weird as Twenty-Three seems to be the age they're rolling with for Peter Parker at the moment.

It's nonsense, no point in trying to make it sense.

Agree that comics should refrain from citing specific ages when possible.

If they do that, it’s easy to just kinda not overthink it and go with the flow.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

LMAO 23 Peter wouldn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    LMAO 23 Peter wouldn't make sense.
    Yeah, it gives him Eight years of being Spidey which is reasonable, but doesn't really take into account his academic career. I think it's to limit the age difference between Peter, and Miles. As that's the situation in the PS4 game. If I recall correctly during Spider-Men II Bendis implied that the age gap between them was even smaller.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 12-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Peter shouldn’t be 29 either

Extraordinary Member

Sadly the characters have been de-aging in some cases. Read Domino's current solo by Gail Simone. Domino should be in her mid-late thirties, but is written like an awkward 20-year-old.
    This isn't even about de-aging, it is just lack of control with editorial. It is because Harley copied Deadpool so they copied it back with Domino. Other cases are just writers not being told no, probably because most of the editors don't even know how the characters are supposed to act and like the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Which is weird as Twenty-Three seems to be the age they're rolling with for Peter Parker at the moment.

It's nonsense, no point in trying to make it sense.
    Was this established in Spencer's current run?

Slott put him to 27-29 as I recall.

Sliding timescales and ploys to make the heroes "younger" for new audiences is lazy nostalgia wank. We've seen writers that aren't afraid to age up and evolve characters and MOST of the time, there's positive feedback. I don't want to see my favorite characters to stay wallpaper because editors want to relive the 80s "for a new generation" for the eighth time. For me:

O5: 30+

ANAD: ranges from 30-late 40s (not counting outliers like Logan and Colossus)

New Mutants: early to late 20s

Generation X and New X-Men overlap a LOT, and it's not on accident as we see students from both generations interacting like peers more than teachers/students. So Generation X would be 18-25ish or 26. New X-Men range from 18-22.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Was this established in Spencer's current run?

Slott put him to 27-29 as I recall.
    I don't believe it has been established, but Spencer doesn't see Peter as being much older than the average college graduate going by his portrayal/new status quos. Bendis was on board with that back during Spider-Man II when he established that Pete wasn't much older than Miles, he didn't give an exact number. It could have just been Peter in character not wanting to feel old I guess.

Slott definitely portrayed Peter as being in his late Twenties, but others tend to play him off as being younger. Twenty-Three seems to be the sweet spot, which is why I assume the new game runs with it.