Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Prep-God shtick gone too far?

I'd like to pose this question to the Batman fans out there, honestly, am I the only one who's beyond the point of suspension of disbelief when it comes to Batman's prep feats?

Case in point, the Batman who laughs. This is a version of Batman who managed to kill of the justice league and proceed to conquer, not just the earth, but the galaxy/universe or whatever, to the point a cosmic entity took notice and plucked him out of his own universe so Batman could wreak havoc in other universes. I mean, really?

A mortal man managed to defeat all the worldly and other-worldly powerful beings in all the cosmos? Sorry, but no amount of 'prep' is going to allow batman to defeat someone like DarkSied.

Now, granted this is a different Batman from the main line but still, this is not out of the realm of how writers view Bruce overall. He's constantly being given PIS/CIS-style prep and it needs to be toned down, IMO.

Batman, for all his prep-God greatness, has his limits. I'd just like writers to go back to remembering that.
    Last edited by seaturkey; 12-09-2018 at 06:50 PM.

The entire Batgod concept has gone way, way, way too far.

At this point, Batman's the most powerful being in the multiverse. He can defeat anyone, at any time, and has already prepared perfect, unbeatable plans for anything that could ever possibly happen on any level ever. Hell, he has a plan, already set in motion, to defeat me personally if I somehow ever end up in charge at DC and decide to enforce an editorial edict saying that the Batgod stuff has to be toned down. He's *that* good. And anyone else reading this and thinking that they're tired of the Batgod too? He has plans for all of you as well.

I cannot help but literally laugh out loud whenever I see people talk about how Batman is "relatable" because he's "human." Just a regular old guy, right? Because who doesn't dodge Omega Beams, trip the Flash, and defeat the entire Justice League with little more than some smoke, some glue, and some bubblegum?

Batman is awesome. But the Batgod needs to die and never see the light of day again. Never ever ever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What I want answered before I admit that as a valid complaint is:

How is he supposed to realistically compete with ANY of the other major DC powers without superior prep skills?

He's a mortal with fantastic ninja skills and some flashy equipment, yet is expected to go toe to toe with people who can injure Superman, Flash, and Wonder Woman in hand to hand combat. How does he survive, much less contribute to the team, without fantastic improvisational and strategic abilities?
    I don't think the Dark Multiverse versions are valid counterpoints. Their worlds were essentially created to be destroyed by them and that obviously didn't work in a more stable world, since all of them were defeated. I'm also pretty sure the Dark Superman versions did the same takeover/kill everyone to their worlds, even if that also would realistically have failed.

Also, are we counting times he gets absolutely crushed by his enemies? Just recently, he : 1) was almost killed by reverse flash (who showed painfully how outmatched Batman can be by a superpowered villain), 2) had every bone in his body broken by Luthor, 3) was out chess-mastered by Bane, 4) was knocked out by Arsenal's trick arrow while he was busy detaining/beating up wayward son #2, and 5) was even outmaneuvered by Harley Quinn (though many people complained about that last one, to be fair). It's not like he does this all the time; it mostly seems to happen when he's up against a threat where realistically, he would otherwise be absolutely useless. I see a Batman who is able to go toe to toe with major powers because of his strategic thinking. He's a general who can move forces around strategically and spot weakpoints, maybe even get in a few blows if he's clever. This does make him much more than a typical human, but he has to be able to fight at the appropriate "super-weight" level for the story to work. He also seems to rarely have similar planning ability in street-level Gotham stuff, demonstrating to me that it's mostly a Justice League/ special event thing.

To demonstrate otherwise, I think you would have to demonstrate clear examples of:
    1) Extraordinary and unrealistic planning far beyond the norm for a typical chessmaster-type character in the a DC world.
    --> It can't just be unrealistic; that's typical for supervillains like Luthor, Joker, Riddler, etc. It should be demonstrably above the norm for a superhero universe.
    2) said planning is used to elevate Batman well over and above the capabilities of his peers, and not just place him on equal footing with fellow Justice League members and the other members of the Trinity.
    --> Batman has to be able to play the game, or he can't appear in Justice League, for the same reason Nightwing as currently written could not appear in Justice League: He'd get squished.
    3) That this a *consistent* flaw and not just a couple-story fluke
    --> three-five recent examples (last decade) and a general account of how this typically plays out would be sufficient.

Failing that, I suppose you could argue that Batman should be too weak to be on the Justice League and/or help out in Special Events and that toning him down that much would be an improvement. If so, why? Wouldn't people just complain more?

[note: I don't think outplanning the Justice League in Tower of Babel counts; every chessmaster seems to do that at least once, the plan only temporarily incapacitated them, and Wonder Woman did the exact same thing in League of of One.]

It's entirely possible I'm wrong; I admit I'm new to comics and haven't read as much Batman as most of you have, but I just don't see this as a problem, so long as it's properly confined to specific series...
    Last edited by Jared S; 12-09-2018 at 10:30 PM.

BANNED

I honestly think its Scott Snyder whose blown it all out of proportion. In Morrison's head all major DC characters are Gods so there's parity in how he writes them. Other cases of Batman going Batgod have serious context (Tower of Babel) or just outright bad writing. Scott Snyder is to me the first person who has completely overdone it. This Batman who Laughs that the OP mentioned is the perfect personification of that. This character literally has done nothing on panel whatsoever. All he does is show up and give a big overwritten speech in that obnoxious font of his, laughs and then somehow wins. I have seen no displays of intellect, physicality or combat skills from this character whatsoever. His backstory is garbage and he is all around an incredibly poor character. Yet of all the Dark Knights he is by far the most over hyped and most overexposed. His entire gimmick by Snyder's own repeated admissions is that he wins because he laughs, rolls eyes.
    Beyond that Snyder has over wanked Joker by having his gas just magically work on everyone, he regularly has Batman pull out armor after armor. Really his Batgod is more Irongod.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    I'd like to pose this question to the Batman fans out there, honestly, am I the only one who's beyond the point of suspension of disbelief when it comes to Batman's prep feats?

Case in point, the Batman who laughs. This is a version of Batman who managed to kill of the justice league and proceed to conquer, not just the earth, but the galaxy/universe or whatever, to the point a cosmic entity took notice and plucked him out of his own universe so Batman could wreak havoc in other universes. I mean, really?

A mortal man managed to defeat all the worldly and other-worldly powerful beings in all the cosmos? Sorry, but no amount of 'prep' is going to allow batman to defeat someone like DarkSied.

Now, granted this is a different Batman from the main line but still, this is not out of the realm of how writers view Bruce overall. He's constantly being given PIS/CIS-style prep and it needs to be toned down, IMO.

Batman, for all his prep-God greatness, has his limits. I'd just like writers to go back to remembering that.
    It's such a laugh that the man who's always prepared for any contingency somehow thinks he's going to live forever so he forgets to make out a will so that his legacy and family can continue on with his mission. Kinda reminds me of when Alexander the Great and his stooges asked to whom would leave his vast kingdom--to which, Alex croaks out, "The strongest!"

As long as Batman is on the Justice League there is a reason for Batgod. The root of problem is that Batman classic form is to be street level hero so he nevers keeps any upgrades,anytime he gets a upgrade at some point you have to default back to classic batman. If Batman was allowed to develop then he would be something similar to Black Panther. Black Panther has physical attributes which make him a meta, Black Panther has suit which is amazing tech but not so high tech that he is mecha. Reality that is what Batman should be instead they go with just mortal man and also always revert Batman costumes to suits that can be damage by his classic rogue gallery Twoface, Penguins, Joker, Riddler,etc

The prep god is what keep Batman relevant in stories he doesn't make sense being in , And until some writer final approaches sheer insanity of Batman (and even worse the Bat family) operating in the superhero realm as plain humans and finally get the Batman beyond being just regular humans then the prep god is the best thing. In sports athletes cortisone shots(a steroid) when hurt to continue playing with a injury, I say this because I could see Batman research borderline technique and drugs and adding what is good as part of his regime to becoming Batman, Modern Athletes use hyperbaric chambers, blood platelet surgeries and every single edge they can to be competitive. For me I in vision Batman would be the same way except there is no one to tell him not use HGH or some other drug. For me my head canon is Batman through combination of Asian mysticism/martial arts and modern advance science techniques and drugs combined plus with advance suit tech that Batman is the dreaded "M word" a Metahuman. For me stories with Dark Gods of multiverse and super aliens have advanced past the point of going with "he is relatable and awesome because he just a human". For me I don't mind Batman being a singularly minded focus and filthy rich person who use nearly any means at his disposal to be in his physical peak.

If you don't want Batman as Midnighter or Black Panther which I understand why people don't want this then you just have deal with Batgod moments
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-10-2018 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared S View Post
    What I want answered before I admit that as a valid complaint is:

How is he supposed to realistically compete with ANY of the other major DC powers without superior prep skills?
    He isn't. That actually adds to stories. The few times he defeats superior opponents get better the less times he actually does it.

Batman should have a role in the league, but its certainly not on the front lines nor should he be dealing with threats that trash the league.

Batman should be financing the league, doing detective and coordination for it and also doing stealth work.

For example, an assault on Apokalyps shouldn't feature Batman trying to kung fu Darkseid etc. He should be planting bombs in power sources and using the shadows to avoid and stealth-take down Parademons.

Mighty Member

Couldn't the same thing be said about Luthor, why no complaints about him? All Lex has is his intelligence yet he is always involved in cosmic schemes. Look at him now leading and ordering villains far more powerful than him. Making fools of the JL and dealing with cosmic level power. Yet no one bats an eye. At least in universe there are reasons (if you choose to accept them) that Batman can have Batgod moments. His obsessive and paranoid nature, his inability to fully trust anyone even friends, and is tactical and strategic mind is second to none and yes he has plans in place deal with almost any senerio. And as been said he gets his ass handed to him much more than he does any batgod feats. If it comes down to a contest between a highly intelligent non-powered person with a brilliant tactical and strategic mind vs a superpowered person of average intelligence and no concept of tactics I will take the non-powered person everytime. The one who can out think, out wit and out maneuver his opponent will almost always win and that is Batman's specialty. So I have no problem with some batgod moments.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    He isn't. That actually adds to stories. The few times he defeats superior opponents get better the less times he actually does it.

Batman should have a role in the league, but its certainly not on the front lines nor should he be dealing with threats that trash the league.

Batman should be financing the league, doing detective and coordination for it and also doing stealth work.

For example, an assault on Apokalyps shouldn't feature Batman trying to kung fu Darkseid etc. He should be planting bombs in power sources and using the shadows to avoid and stealth-take down Parademons.
    batcard.jpg
    Well, the tradeoff is that all the sneaking around and, uh... bankrolling? (*holy infinite bank account batman!*) superhero stuff is that

1) It's typically not half as interesting,
    2) twice as hard to write well, and
    3) fans will complain anyway (do they ever not)?

Instead of Batgod™ the Omniscient, we will all be on forums talking about The astounding Bat-wimp™, the Billionaire with the fat wallet who is... otherwise kind of useless. What is he even doing on that team? Why do we want this again?

Can't speak for others, but I am perfectly willing to sacrifice an inch of reality for an ell of story. It's not like this constructed universe makes a lot of sense in the first place.
    Last edited by Jared S; 12-10-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    It's such a laugh that the man who's always prepared for any contingency somehow thinks he's going to live forever so he forgets to make out a will so that his legacy and family can continue on with his mission. Kinda reminds me of when Alexander the Great and his stooges asked to whom would leave his vast kingdom--to which, Alex croaks out, "The strongest!"
    I was under the impression that he left a will? I KNOW I saw some holographic messages to Alfred. Also, Jason apparently completely lost it 'cause Batman's message literally said he needed to seek some mental health treatment when Bruce last "died." I'm pretty sure he even requested Dick take up the mantle, but I'd have to look it up to double check.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Couldn't the same thing be said about Luthor, why no complaints about him? All Lex has is his intelligence yet he is always involved in cosmic schemes. Look at him now leading and ordering villains far more powerful than him. Making fools of the JL and dealing with cosmic level power. Yet no one bats an eye. At least in universe there are reasons (if you choose to accept them) that Batman can have Batgod moments. His obsessive and paranoid nature, his inability to fully trust anyone even friends, and is tactical and strategic mind is second to none and yes he has plans in place deal with almost any senerio. And as been said he gets his ass handed to him much more than he does any batgod feats. If it comes down to a contest between a highly intelligent non-powered person with a brilliant tactical and strategic mind vs a superpowered person of average intelligence and no concept of tactics I will take the non-powered person everytime. The one who can out think, out wit and out maneuver his opponent will almost always win and that is Batman's specialty. So I have no problem with some batgod moments.
    It's typically a more interesting story too, at least for me. The thing is, anyone can draw one guy beating another in hand-to-hand combat or in struggle of superpowers. It's not entertaining because they're not real people, so the author can pretty much make them do whatever ridiculous thing they want to win (you can never REALLY say, "that last punch should have knocked Superman out, that's unrealistic").

But you CAN show a guy outwitting someone else, and, if you're clever enough, I can go... "Huh, that really was a good strategy, why didn't I think of that?" So properly done, Batprep actually makes for a more interesting story, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared S View Post
    It's typically a more interesting story too, at least for me. The thing is, anyone can draw one guy beating another in hand-to-hand combat or in struggle of superpowers. It's not entertaining because they're not real people, so the author can pretty much make them do whatever ridiculous thing they want to win (you can never REALLY say, "that last punch should have knocked Superman out, that's unrealistic").

But you CAN show a guy outwitting someone else, and, if you're clever enough, I can go... "Huh, that really was a good strategy, why didn't I think of that?" So properly done, Batprep actually makes for a more interesting story, in my opinion.
    The problem is that it’s rarely if ever properly done.

The difference is that Lex tends to lose with the only real victory being that he can avoid jail some times. Also, Lex recently lost control of his team to the Joker and had never been written as doing stuff like single handedly beating Darkseid.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Luthor, why no complaints about him?
    Because Lex rarely wins, and its even more rare to see him go toe-to-toe with Clark. And even when Lex has his power suit, he usually doesnt actually pose a real physical threat; Superman rips that suit to shreds 95% of the time. At best, Lex is able to slow Clark down with the power suit but he can't actually match the Man of Tomorrow.

Batman on the other hand, not only defeats Clark, but also Barry, Diana, Barry, Hal, etc. All at once. With bubble gum. The difference is pretty damn clear.

Batman has a role on the League, like has already been said, but he shouldn't be on the front lines fighting Despero in hand-to-hand combat or dodging Omega beams.

In fact, if Darkseid or Despero even realize Batman is there, you're writing Batman wrong.

The way to handle Batman in the League is to make him the "stealth weapon." While Clark and Diana and the others are keeping the bad guys' attention with a frontal assault, Bats should be sneaking around the back, disabling the doomsday device or planting bombs on the alien mothership or hacking the villain's computer systems, whatever. At the very least, he should be in the Bat-plane launching missiles, not throwing batarangs at gods and monsters. And where Bruce really shines is in the build-up to the fight. Think about Darkseid War, when the League is investigating Kanto's murders. Bruce is the best detective on earth (well, he was before being possessed by the Batgod, who has no need for such silly things) and he's the one leading the investigation and putting the clues together. If not for his efforts, the League wouldn't have made much headway and would've been even less well prepared for the eventual battle.

Consider the Superman-Batman story where Kara is brought into post-Crisis. The Trinity (I think Diana was there too?) go to Apokolips and while Clark (and Diana I think?) are fighting the Furies and Darkseid, Bruce is planting bombs in the firepits. He does escape a few hell hounds and parademons, manages to blow a few up with grenades, but he doesnt confront Darkseid until his bombs are in place. Bruce pulls out a victory not through physical force but through strategy. And make no mistake, it's Batman who won that confrontation, but he did it without throwing a punch.

That's how you use Batman in the League. He doesn't defeat his enemy with kung fu or batarangs, but with daring tactics. If you write Batman on the front lines of a big League battle, you shouldn't be writing the Justice League at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It went way too far many years ago. In actuality in recent years its kinda wore down a tad for Bruce himself (instances like the Bat-gum debacle notwithstanding). But unfortunately its just taken root elsewhere, like Joker, Damian, and now the Batman Who Laughs.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El