Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

The sword and shield diminishes her, does not increase her 'heroics' to me. Besides Batman, who are the Heavy Hitters in the DC universe that use weapons to go along with their 'godly' might? Shazam? Superman? Any of the superman family? Martian Manhunter (who is probably ridicuously overpowered with the amount of abilities he has)? The Flash? Aquaman (although he does wield a silly trident, I will give you that)?
    Aquaman,Batman,Superman,Flash and Wonder Woman all just punchers. The visual variety of what they are doing on panel or in the movie comes off as boring at times. To make Wonder Woman and Aquaman distinct from other punchers they are given weapons. Ultimately it is just how do I make Superman and Wonder Woman different without changing her fighting style that answer is a sword which plays well into the Greek myth part of Wonder Woman. As fans we don't think about these things but I was reading Korean comic and the protagonist Sun Wu Kong who was super powered and was primarily using kicks.It feels so drastically different but reality is the same super strength like Superman but visual greatly differ because of style.

Me personally Batman gets utility belt which let him use the best tool in the right situation, I am fine with Wonder Woman having many tools Sword,Shield, Lasso, Magic Bracelet, etc. It feels weird people going Wonder Woman should just be one thing,If She wants to be Lethal she can use a sword, If she doesn't wants to be lethal she can use the lasso. Why does Wonder Woman just have to be one thing why can't use the tool best for the situation she is in?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Aquaman,Batman,Superman,Flash and Wonder Woman all just punchers. The visual variety of what they are doing on panel or in the movie comes off as boring at times. To make Wonder Woman and Aquaman distinct from other punchers they are given weapons. Ultimately it is just how do I make Superman and Wonder Woman different without changing her fighting style that answer is a sword which plays well into the Greek myth part of Wonder Woman. As fans we don't think about these things but I was reading Korean comic and the protagonist Sun Wu Kong who was super powered and was primarily using kicks.It feels so drastically different but reality is the same super strength like Superman but visual greatly differ because of style.

Me personally Batman gets utility belt which let him use the best tool in the right situation, I am fine with Wonder Woman having many tools Sword,Shield, Lasso, Magic Bracelet, etc. It feels weird people going Wonder Woman should just be one thing,If She wants to be Lethal she can use a sword, If she doesn't wants to be lethal she can use the lasso. Why does Wonder Woman just have to be one thing why can't use the tool best for the situation she is in?
    Why does Wonder Woman always carry a sword and shield now? At least in the DCEU. Sounds kind of boring to me to use your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    So it becomes a club?
    Yes, there is even some precedent for it in German swordsmanship manuals for armoured combat, though there it was done with both hands, and definitely not cutting straight through rifles with the edge to then incapacitating a soldier by hitting his helmeted head with the pommel.

Try to imagine the level of force control needed for that one.

And just because she is skillful enough to use a sword in that manner doesn't make it any more reasonable for her to have it as a main weapon. By that logic she could carry a gun or a bow & arrow and just have enough skill to never hit anything vital with a shot. The lasso is unique and associated with her. A sword is a dime a dozen fantasy weapon that undermines her uniqueness.
    Agreed. I much prefer the lasso-using Diana, if she goes for a weapon. But if she chooses to use a sword (or other weapon), then she should be depicted as capable of stunts like the above.

You mean the amazons use their swords as blunt instruments versus what they are meant to use it for? Where was her incredible skill with her bracelets in No mans land? She had to hide behind the shield till she got 'help'. It would have been much more satisfying for me to see her run up and block all bullets meant for her rather than the shield.
    Swords have historically been used as blunt instruments, so I see no reason for why the Amazons couldn't use them that way, if needed. I have already discussed the narrative significance in why the No Man's Land scene was constructed the way it was in order to establish Diana's heroism, earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    More impressive from a strict quantitative view of superheroing. But I'd say it would be fundamentally less meaningful from a story standpoint.
    I do agree with Killerbee911 that Diana should be more than just a puncher. She should consistently be using the whole of her body while fighting. Movie Diana fought a lot with kicks, and that should be part of it. Artists and writers should also look to how she would integrate her greaves and bracelets into her fighting style.

While the lasso can be used to kill (as Max Lord badly demonstrated), it is not automatically a lethal weapon. Swords have no other purpose than to spill blood. I've never bought the idea of Diana as someone who is looking to spill blood. She'll do it if required with less qualms than Superman or the Flash but making a sword her default weapon seems a bit off.

As a friend of mine notated years ago swords with most heroes in comics are stupid. Invariably they try to come up with a stun setting or something with them. Can't have Black Knight slicing off enemies' body parts every issue.
    Well you don't NEED to use the sword all the time, if you want to subdue an enemy you can either sheathe it or do a pommel strike instead of stabbing or slicing.

which is why I like the idea of WW only carrying it when she's planning to kill something.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well you don't NEED to use the sword all the time, if you want to subdue an enemy you can either sheathe it or do a pommel strike instead of stabbing or slicing.

which is why I like the idea of WW only carrying it when she's planning to kill something.
    In the DCEU she carries around the sword all the time. I don't think the regular folk are assuming she is carrying around a sword just to pummel the bad guys. Which seems kind of stupid from the standpoint that she has been shown to lift a tank and presumable be able to throw it a distance from her movie. Good thing she has a sword!

I can't even remember a fight where she hasn't used her sword in the DCEU unless it was broken. A superhero that can lift and throw tanks, but she has to be sword first, because, I guess you know, she is Xena....I mean warrior women. Good thing that they seem to be following this somewhat in the comics, but I could be wrong about that. I don't read the current issues besides what I see scanned on the internet.

And yes, I know I repeated myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

I am afraid there are many MANY ways to differentiate WW and Supes or Supes and Aquaman without altering who they are. In fact, if they lean into their deals and celebrate who they are the differences between them would be extracted. Wonder Woman is a peerless warrior with the best gear and the best training in comics. She already carries a lasso, bracelets, and tiara all of which are superior to any bladed weapons or shields given their pretty detailed definitions prior to the foolery of Flashpoint/New52.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I am afraid there are many MANY ways to differentiate WW and Supes or Supes and Aquaman without altering who they are. In fact, if they lean into their deals and celebrate who they are the differences between them would be extracted. Wonder Woman is a peerless warrior with the best gear and the best training in comics. She already carries a lasso, bracelets, and tiara all of which are superior to any bladed weapons or shields given their pretty detailed definitions prior to the foolery of Flashpoint/New52.
    Shhhh....don't tell that to the DCEU. She is now their version of a warrior woman with superpowers. And also depowered.

In the DCEU she carries around the sword all the time. I don't think the regular folk are assuming she is carrying around a sword just to pummel the bad guys. Which seems kind of stupid from the standpoint that she has been shown to lift a tank and presumable be able to throw it a distance from her movie. Good thing she has a sword!

I can't even remember a fight where she hasn't used her sword in the DCEU unless it was broken. A superhero that can lift and throw tanks, but she has to be sword first, because, I guess you know, she is Xena....I mean warrior women. Good thing that they seem to be following this somewhat in the comics, but I could be wrong about that. I don't read the current issues besides what I see scanned on the internet.

And yes, I know I repeated myself.
    She does at least leave the sword sheathed when she's not feeling stabby.

Why can't and I'm going with the new 52 version. She can summon weapons from her bracelets? That her bracelets are have pocket dimension and so Diana places her sword in there when she doesn't need it. She leaves her lasso out but not her sword or shield