Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

When characters like Norman Osborn, Wison Fisk, Otto Octavius and Venom make your life a perfect nightmare then Bane is completely obscured

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Kingpin (in “Back in Black”) and the Kravinoffs have mentally/emotionally exhausted Peter as bad as Bane did to Batman.
    And Morlun, Venom, Dr Doom, and Black Tarantula have physically destroyed Peter as bad as Bane did to Batman (Morlun even killed him).
    Black Tarantula... man, I'd love to see him back in the Spidey comics. Nothing against Brubakers usage of him, but I preferred him as a crime lord. *Shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    When characters like Norman Osborn, Wison Fisk, Otto Octavius and Venom make your life a perfect nightmare then Bane is completely obscured
    Quoted for truth. I like Bane, but early 2000s Norman Osborn/Green Goblin just tortured Peter and his friends and family more than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Besides Norman & Venom were able to make things personal for Peter Parker something Bane never did for Bruce Wayne.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Besides Norman & Venom were able to make things personal for Peter Parker something Bane never did for Bruce Wayne.
    Plus or minus whatever is going on now in King's run (there's still enough story left I think it's better not to try to categorize it yet), there was also that storyline in GK when Bane was convinced his father was Thomas Wayne (sort of a leftover plot from Bane of the Demon). Not in any way saying those are comparable, but at least a couple writers have tried make Bane and Batman's vendetta more personal than was initially devised.

------------

RE: the original question: I don't think Bane's raison d'etre make sense for Spider-man. While Spidey shares a certain amount of Batman's "I gotta do this on my own" mentality, he is more likely to call people in to help (see the Red Goblin story arc, for example). He's also not a hero who's so defined by his fighting prowess that one might think "I can break him psychologically by kicking his butt up and down the street" - Pete's been peeled off the ground more than most (it's also worth noting that if one wanted to rule NY the way Bane took over Gotham, it wouldn't be enough to beat only Spider-man*). Harry and Norman both did pretty good numbers on Pete on account of knowing him so personally, and Kraven put in one really good attempt at breaking Spidey (Venom never really did anything particularly innovative in menacing Spidey - he was more goonish than anything).

*A Marvel version of this story in which our Bane character breaks down Spidey, DD, the F4, and whichever other appropriate NYC-based heroes to "take over" might be a fun twist on Knightfall.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

The one Bane Level Threat that I want Spider-Man to face are guys:

The Abomination(Emil Blonsky)

The Shadow King

Legion

Last edited by Darthfury78; 12-14-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Most of the Sinister Six stories were about wearing him down with sheer numbers. The earliest versions even did the 'Gauntlet' style of All six setting traps one after another until Doc Ock is there at the end.

He didn't break, but the plan was pretty much the same. Part of my problem with Bane... 'Gauntlet of villains' isn't exactly rocket science. It was pretty cliché even in the 90's. I think even the Batman '66 movie played that trope with 4 villains teaming up.