Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has Spiderman ever faced a Bane level threat?

So I'm currently watching Disney XD on demand Marvel's Spiderman and I'm currently on the arc where all these bad guys have been hired to kill Spiderman and it's got me thinking of the Batman Knightfall story arc where Bane broke out all the Batman villains in order to make Batman exhausted before taking him down. Now I can't help but wonder has Spiderman ever taken on a Bane type villain one that studies him relentlessly and seeks out to break him? I personally think it would be interesting to see that and I'm not sure if Peter would recover from an attack on that level. The only thing better would be Bane crossing over to Marvel and I think something like that would make for a good cross over story like Bane gets hired to kill Spiderman and Batman gets wind of it and shows up in time to stop Bane from breaking Spiderman's back.

I think that's what they're going for with Kraven next year.

The closest we've gotten to a Knightfall-esque storyline for Spider-Man was The Gauntlet, where the Kravinoffs manipulated a whole bunch of events to occur where Spider-Man had to face off against most of his original villains all in a row, emotionally and physically tiring him out, until finally concocting their master plan which involves executing most of the Spiders in order to bring Kraven back to life.

Can't wait for Tom Hardy to tear it up with another goofy voice in Sony's Kraven trilogy.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It would’ve been great to have see a Jason Mamoa Kraven vs Tom Holland Spider-Man.

But yeah, I’d say Kraven has always had the potential to be that kind of threat.

I dunno, there wasn't a "villain gauntlet" involved but when I think of a Bane-level villain I think of Morlun since he visibly "broke" Spider-Man like Bane broke Batman.

Isn't that the jackell who got peter so messed up he hit his wife then turned "dark and angry". Plus peter thought he was a clone and left his job and life only to find out he was real. Jackell did a number on peter.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Wasn’t the Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-man arc similar to this?

iMan 42s

Spider-man books have never pulled anything like Knightfall.

Nobody has ever broke Spider-man that he both physically and mentally cannot fight the villain.

Villains have hunted him and put him through the ringer, but nobodie's ever gone Bane on Peter.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

This has happened a few times with Kraven. Spider-Man: Blue retconned a few Lee/ Romita stories as being part of Kraven's efforts to learn more about Spider-Man.

In the Gauntlet, Ana Kraven used Madame Web's ability to see the future to target Spider-Man after he had been through some difficult challenges, and to make encounters with his enemies worse than it would otherwise be.

The other aspect of Bane is that he's big and vicious, so Venom does some of that. Though he isn't the same level of tactician.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

In terms of 'being beaten and brought incredibly low', Kraven, as other posters have pointed out.
    In terms of 'superior in almost every other way', Venom.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

- Morlun? Venom? pretty much.. (blah to both of them...)

Also, Black Tarantula, who has pwned Spidey several times in a row; absolutely horrible..

Now I can't help but wonder has Spiderman ever taken on a Bane type villain one that studies him relentlessly and seeks out to break him?
    Norman Osborn, Jackal, and Judas Traveler come to mind as three big examples.

I think the one that "broke" him the worst was Harry though, when Peter found out that his parents where really just robost that Harry had made to mess with him. It took Spidey years to recover from how badly that messed him up.

The only thing better would be Bane crossing over to Marvel and I think something like that would make for a good cross over story like Bane gets hired to kill Spiderman and Batman gets wind of it and shows up in time to stop Bane from breaking Spiderman's back.
    Bane is a tough Batman enemy, but he'd probabaly break his knee trying to slam Peter against it. Spdiey takes punches from people like the Rhino and Venom and gets back up from it.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Eh, you really don't need to plot on the same level as Bane did to catch Spider-Man on a bad day. That would be overkill. He's already distracted enough thinking about falling short on his rent, or making it to Aunt May's for dinner!

Astonishing Member

Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Kingpin (in “Back in Black”) and the Kravinoffs have mentally/emotionally exhausted Peter as bad as Bane did to Batman.
    And Morlun, Venom, Dr Doom, and Black Tarantula have physically destroyed Peter as bad as Bane did to Batman (Morlun even killed him).