View Poll Results: What would you prefer?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live Action

5 8.33%
  • Animated

17 28.33%
  • Both

38 63.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men Films: Would you prefer live action or animation?

Superhero films have been trending for the past decade, and it looks like that trend isn't going anywhere any time soon. No matter if you personally like Marvel Studios' films, you have to admit that they are damn successful, and much more cohesive than other franchises from other studios. I, personally, think this is in part due to Disney owning Marvel. I've been intensively studying Disney lately and they always strive to produce the highest quality content; plus, they are amazing marketers.

Disney has acquired Fox, meaning the X-Men is now under their banner. As fans, I think it's a basic desire to see our favorite comic characters on the big screen. We constantly ask which characters will be chosen, who will be cast as these characters, and what storylines they will adapt. However, after seeing the success of Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and the fact that it currently has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and has been nominated for multiple awards (including a Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film) shows that animated films can be just as high quality as live action films (also considering movies from Walt Disney studios are usually praised). So, I pose a question:

Would you prefer the new X-Men film franchise to be live action or animated?

Factors to consider when answering this question:

1. Can an animated film better showcase the grandeur of the X-Men? (i.e. flashy colors, superheroics, bizarre concepts, character designs, etc.)
    2. Would producing animated films be cheaper, thus the possibility of having more films more often? (Spider-Man: Homecoming cost $175 million and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse cost $90 million; however, depending on the animation, it may be more expensive -- Tangled is currently the most expensive animated film costing at $260 million)
    3. Would making the X-Men an animated franchise easily separate them from the Avengers-centric MCU, but while still being in the same universe?
    4. Would you want a combination of both? (i.e. main X-Men stories get live-action films, but satellite stories like New Mutants' Demon Bear get animated films)

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

We need live-action Glob.

I mean AGAIN.

Mighty Member

I love animation. What you can do with lighting in live action has the addition of angular or rounded features in animation. You can also get a unique style from animation based on a number of factors.

In the post-merger world, I think an animated film of the X-Men would do us well to distinguish it from FoX-Men.

You can get really colorful costumes in the world of animation without looking too goofy. Hell, you can get characters like Sauron and be able to take yourself somewhat seriously.

only if we get scenes with Storm flying and ordering meet me at the monorail..

This is so ironic because I was just thinking about this the other day.

Due to how cgi heavy the mcu films are (and most blockbuster films these days, to be fair) I thought to myself: i would be fine with animated xmen flicks.

So yea I vote animated or both. But not just live action.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Both of course

I'd say both. Live action and animation have their own sets of pros and cons, both in terms of financial investment and artistic techniques.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

One of the biggest pros of animation is that you don't worry about aging characters unless it's a prepubescent boy voicing a prepubescent boy. You can have New X-Men: Academy X for much longer than you could a live action film.

Both. I think the X-Men have a lot of characters and effects that only CGI could do justice (look how much better Colossus in Deadpool was, compared to in the X-Men movie), but I don't want to lose the suspension of disbelief in live action, either.

Both but I would be more excited for an animated movie.

Why do we have choose? The Avengers have both. The X-men can have both Cartoons can tell comic accurate stories in all their glory and Live action can tell reinterpretations of comics change and adjusting stuff to better fit live action. A great example is Civil War and Infinity War are great movies but animated story can have more characters and be done at big scale.

I am greedy I want great live action movies and tv shows, I want great animated tv shows and since Spiderverse is proving it can be done I want great theatrically animated stuff as well.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Live action. For two reasons:

1. I prefer translation from a medium to another to have a different look and format, because too much closeness shows the flaws up. Since comic-books are static drawings, I wouldn't choose to turn them to animated drawings, but to another thing.

2. I love animation. That's precisely why I don't want Disney to make X-cartoons: I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think that current Disney animation (in fact, current popular USA animation --even current popular European animation, as this is too a globalized sector) has not the highest quality right now*. Alright it has the highest technology, but not the art. Its designs and actions are disappointingly repetitive and stereoptyped, and I can't express how much the characters' tics and gesticulation annoy me. No please, I don't want to see Ororo or Kurt making faces such those.

On the other hand:

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    [*]Can an animated film better showcase the grandeur of the X-Men? (i.e. flashy colors, superheroics, bizarre concepts, character designs, etc.)
    Yes, undoubtedly.

[*]Would producing animated films be cheaper, thus the possibility of having more films more often?
    Yes, but I'm not sure at all I would want to have X-films more often. I rather have a few, good though.

[*]Would making the X-Men an animated franchise easily separate them from the Avengers-centric MCU, but while still being in the same universe?
    I'm undecided about this.

[*]Would you want a combination of both? (i.e. main X-Men stories get live-action films, but satellite stories like New Mutants' Demon Bear get animated films)
    Transmedia storytelling? Mmmmmh... Maybe... But please, with a much more ambitious, tasteful, and original animation.

* I personally think that "Robin Hood" (1973) was probably the last real good Disney animation picture.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 12-12-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Watching people's frustrations of the FOX TV show Gifted avoiding not mentioning Magneto, referencing X-Men with no X-Men showing up. I am going to say something beyond animations and movies. a very expensive television show. What is left for X-Men. X-Men has already had the best it can get out of animation and movies. None of the future movies would be as good as the old ones. Marvel is still stuck in the 90s if I was to list the best Marvel animations . The next thing for X-Men to explore is a television show with the A-list mutants.

I am ecstatic Sony pulled this off, I had faith Into The Spiderverse was going to be brilliant. my boss saw it last week, he said it was the best CBM of 2018. I am seeing it next week though he never is usually wrong. If anyone is going to steal or revisit the idea of animated movies it will be WB not Marvel. The Killing Joke was released in cinema for limited screenings. DC competes only with top Japanese animes for animation. Only a few number of years DC releases an expensive animated movie to compete with Sony since Sony plans on making more animated movies of Into the Spiderverse. Shout out to Spidergwen for making me not stop thinking about my girl, Emma Frost.

I think there’s room for both now. With Spider-Verse getting so much praise, I think the flood gates have been opened for animated superhero movies. And with X-men returning to Disney, the timing couldn’t be better. An animated feature provides more flexibility for the more fantasy/sci-fi elements of the X-men mythos. I think animation is the best avenue to develop a Starjammers movie or something featuring the Morlocks. There will still be a place for live action, just as there’s a place for Tom Holland’s Spider-Man in the MCU. But Disney built its empire on quality animation and I think it makes sense to build on it, especially with the X-men back in the fold.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

"Would making the X-Men an animated franchise easily separate them from the Avengers-centric MCU, but while still being in the same universe?"

That's just not gonna be a thing. They're not gonna include animation on the MCU. They can make animated X-Men movies separately on their own univese.