Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #60 Preview

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...the-god-of-war

I must say, the writing in this preview is quite good. Diana appeals with compassion and common sense before violence. I also like that she used her bracelets instead of her shield to stop Ares' axe and that the lasso channels Zues' lighting. The interior art is still an eye sore but that Dodson cover almost makes up for it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The tragic thing is, Cary Nord isn't a bad artist, even though I'm not fond of his style. His Ares is perfectly fine. His Diana at home in #58 had personality and humour. The mythological creatures were all nice. But he makes Diana in action into a slender maiden perpetually looking frightened and distressed.

Nice to see Diana using the bracelets to block for a change

I like the writing and where GWW is going with Diana, but, oddly, I'm not that into the art. And I generally enjoy Nord. Something feels off in regards to how dynamic the art should be considering the situation. I'll have to think about that some more once I read the issue.

Also, I'm not a fan of the lasso being used as a whip, as it has been lately and in the film. A totally different weapon to me, that I don't see Diana needing to use it that way given her other gifts. (Leave the whip cracking to Selina.)

Also, also, I kind of liked that Cassie's lasso channeled the lightning as opposed to Diana's, but I realize that was a reality or two ago. If it's the case that this lasso does that or Diana channels some kind of empyrean energy now (like in the finale of the movie), it still feels a bit "extra" given Diana's already formidable power set and abilities.

I'm not feeling this one. Is Ares' turning back into a villain this easily? Idk, they focused so much on the "Ares as an ally" thing that I feel this is weird and abrupt. Of course it's just a preview of a longer issue and a longer arc, so the discussion could be developed further.

Also, the description of the fight in the captions (last page) is so 80's...

Spectacular Member

Fun preview. It made me excited for this next issue as the previous two were lukewarm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...the-god-of-war

I must say, the writing in this preview is quite good. Diana appeals with compassion and common sense before violence. I also like that she used her bracelets instead of her shield to stop Ares' axe and that the lasso channels Zues' lighting. The interior art is still an eye sore but that Dodson cover almost makes up for it.
    Agreed; so happy to see her bracelets being used instead of a shield. Also appreciate they broke Ares' axe. The only friction I had with that scene is the internal monolog of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The tragic thing is, Cary Nord isn't a bad artist, even though I'm not fond of his style. His Ares is perfectly fine. His Diana at home in #58 had personality and humour. The mythological creatures were all nice. But he makes Diana in action into a slender maiden perpetually looking frightened and distressed.
    I'm of two minds of this. I know the modern incarnation of Wonder Woman has been to have a more muscular form, perhaps even a tad too masculine. I've been wondering if it's necessary? Why can't Wonder Woman be both feminine in action and form and still be extremely powerful and strong?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Also, also, I kind of liked that Cassie's lasso channeled the lightning as opposed to Diana's, but I realize that was a reality or two ago. If it's the case that this lasso does that or Diana channels some kind of empyrean energy now (like in the finale of the movie), it still feels a bit "extra" given Diana's already formidable power set and abilities.
    I saw this panel as Wonder Woman lassoing the lightning and throwing it back at Ares, which for me is a pleasant throwback to her lassoing all manner of things in the Golden and Silver Age comics. I did not see her channeling the lightning.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    FI saw this panel as Wonder Woman lassoing the lightning and throwing it back at Ares, which for me is a pleasant throwback to her lassoing all manner of things in the Golden and Silver Age comics. I did not see her channeling the lightning.
    I just double checked the preview, and it does indeed look like Ares is summoning the lightning down on her, and she uses the lasso to send it back at him. Combined with her shattering the God of War's ax with her bracelets and strength, this is pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I'm of two minds of this. I know the modern incarnation of Wonder Woman has been to have a more muscular form, perhaps even a tad too masculine. I've been wondering if it's necessary? Why can't Wonder Woman be both feminine in action and form and still be extremely powerful and strong?
    To me these are two separate things. I like a Diana with some flesh on her bones, and Nord's Diana is very much on the slender side, but I'm not going to complain about a slender Diana in art.

The issue I have is rather with how Nord poses Diana and draws her facial expressions. I don't see Diana express power or confidence in any of the panels that she is in, and instead we get exaggerated bosoms sticking out. She hardly even looks dynamic, when compared with the poses the Dodsons or Frison put her in.

I like the visual that as Ares' falls back into villain status, his appearance takes more on the qualities of the classic Ares. Mainly in the sense of the glowing red eyes behind a helmet that shadows the rest of his face.

That said, with his reversion to villain status happening so quickly, I somewhat wonder why him coming back seemingly with good intentions was even done in the first place. At this point I don't see what the story might be losing if he wasn't just resurrected immediately back into that pre-imprisonment role.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think there'll be a few more shades of grey this time around. Wilson isn't done yet exploring the situation. There may indeed be more nuance than the preview indicates. In any event I loved that bracelets maneuver!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I just double checked the preview, and it does indeed look like Ares is summoning the lightning down on her, and she uses the lasso to send it back at him. Combined with her shattering the God of War's ax with her bracelets and strength, this is pretty great.
    Yes, well, it is a Magic Lasso! While I did not anticipate that, it was great to see. I too enjoyed the bracelets being used and Diana showing her true strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, well, it is a Magic Lasso! While I did not anticipate that, it was great to see. I too enjoyed the bracelets being used and Diana showing her true strength.
    Come to think of it im pretty sure I remember her using the lasso in a similar fashion back in the day...Pre crisis era

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Come to think of it im pretty sure I remember her using the lasso in a similar fashion back in the day...Pre crisis era
    Oh, right, the story with black lightning bolts that were cutting buildings in half? I think Diana had her lasso around one trying to pull it away from a building.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To me these are two separate things. I like a Diana with some flesh on her bones, and Nord's Diana is very much on the slender side, but I'm not going to complain about a slender Diana in art.

The issue I have is rather with how Nord poses Diana and draws her facial expressions. I don't see Diana express power or confidence in any of the panels that she is in, and instead we get exaggerated bosoms sticking out. She hardly even looks dynamic, when compared with the poses the Dodsons or Frison put her in.

You make a fair point--Nord's Diana so far has been lackluster. It's jarring when the interior art isn't up to par with the covers. That said, both the Dodsons and Frison are in different leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

I recall her lassoing planets and such in the Golden Age. From the Silver Age, I recall her spinning the lasso to create a vortex to catch debris. Wondy's done some amazing stuff with the lasso pre-COIE.

the fight could just be in the beginning? It’s too early to tell if he’s going to be full villain the entire issue. He just see Justice in a wrong way.