Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Correct. That was poor wording on my part.

You may be right. If the concept of who and what Superman is keeps changing, MoS may be more accepted. Well, once all of us old fogeys that grew up in the Silver Age kick the bucket.
    I think due to the love for this film it definitely has been honored and homaged many times but like Batman 66 gets why to much blame for how the character is preceived Batman 66 was always blamed for the camp image of Batman like the 50's never happened in the comics. Batman was a very dark hero in 39 but began changing by 1940 with Robin into a less dark hero. Superman was a very social justice type hero in 38 going against the establishment who was exploiting the poor but by the war a very patriot hero evening selling war bonds and the latter was the one that stayed. As much as fans complained about the Camp era of Batman it also created diversity in the characters interpretation allowing a more accepting variety of adaptations accepted by the larger public. Until the New 52, Injustice, and DCEU Superman for about 70's was always shown as the boyscout no matter comics, radio, tv, or films outside of some elseworlds stories here and there which most people never read. So there is an image of Superman engrained into most people he's Americana and thus people are less accepting to changes to him and while the Reeve films was a link in the chain it wasn't the sole reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    If the concept of who and what Superman is keeps changing, MoS may be more accepted. Well, once all of us old fogeys that grew up in the Silver Age kick the bucket.
    Grew up in the Bronze age and this film is still my most iconic version of Superman.

Retired

I saw it in the morning on opening day at the Paramount Theatre in Edmonton. But I don't remember if that was a Thursday (the 14th) or a Friday (the 15th), I do know it was a weekday and not the weekend and I remember thinking I was one of the first people to see it among us normals (not those elites that got to see the previews). I stayed in my seat to watch it again. In those days, if you stayed in the theatre you could watch the next showing without paying for another ticket. As well, I went back to see it the day after and many other days after that.

Fantastic Member

For my money, still the best superhero movie ever made, as well as the best portrayal. No one has ever nailed a superhero performance the way Chris Reeve did with Superman/Clark Kent, imo, though there have been a few worthy contenders.

It also remains my all time favorite film.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    For my money, still the best superhero movie ever made, as well as the best portrayal. No one has ever nailed a superhero performance the way Chris Reeve did with Superman/Clark Kent, imo, though there have been a few worthy contenders.

It also remains my all time favorite film.
    Though George Reeves did a damn fine version too. Especially the early seasons, before Kellogg's started dictating content and the show tended to be on the silly side.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Some cool merch came out of the movie too:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014