View Poll Results: Black male actors or White Female actors. Who has to work harder

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black male actors

20 71.43%
  • White Female actors

8 28.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Black Male actors. I have watched millions of films with women in it. I have watched the same gazillions of films with no black men in it.

I mean the most obvious example of this is Hitch.

Will Smith, biggest selling Black Actor of all time, well loved by everyone on all sides of the aisle. He stars in Hitch, a movie about a Dating Consultant who finds himself falling in love.

Studio refused to make his love interest a white woman because of 'Interracial fears' or a black woman because 'Itd alienate a white audience'.

Do you get that ? Its 2005. Will Smith is at the top of his game and yet HE STILL CANT DATE A WHITE GIRL.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Without a doubt, hands down by miles, the Oriental male. What, they actually have Oriental males actors? Yes, only in Asia. Shang Chi? Sad but I think it's going to flop.
    Correct. Black male/female parts are actually incredibly prevalent, almost as if there is a quota or hidden direction of requiring most shows and movies to have at least one/some blacks on the show.

In order of most commonly seen.

White
    black
    latino
    asian

And more recently

white
    black
    latino
    indian
    asian/middle eastern

middle easterners are moving up a bit, and so are asians. Maybe we'll get more snowmans soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOkPixYeIk8

Except when it comes to Chinese American actors. I can imagine Chinese American boys wondering where their role models are. Definitely can be an identity crisis for them.
    Certainly in the UK, I see nothing to imply my statement isn't true for Asian actors. In American TV it might be different (when specifically limited to Chinese performers) BUT I don't know enough about the number of Chinese actors and actresses to give an informed opinion.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Certainly in the UK, I see nothing to imply my statement isn't true for Asian actors. In American TV it might be different (when specifically limited to Chinese performers) BUT I don't know enough about the number of Chinese actors and actresses to give an informed opinion.

Hasnt our non-indian Asian population only really started yo noticeably increase in the last 5-10 years ?

Except when it comes to Chinese American actors. I can imagine Chinese American boys wondering where their role models are. Definitely can be an identity crisis for them.
    Asian males kinda own a genre of movie,Yeah it sucks that type casting happens but reliably they are parts available . Now Asian male love interest in drama even a comedy is a unicorn. I can't literally think of one blockbuster/big budget movie that features one.

Also White Woman have access to more roles than a bunch of minority males. I don't know why someone is going to try lump all actress in the same situation. You look up list of the highest paid female actress whole top ten is white. For the men(who get paid ridiculous more) Akshay Kumar,Will Smith, Jackie Chan, Dwayne Johnson, Salman Khan are on list along with RDJ, Clooney,Adam Sandler Chris Evans, and Hemsworth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The fact that most posters on this thread are running so hard away from the basic premise and the question that includes black men and white women only goes to prove the poignancy of the question. It funny how I'm reading people are dropping in gay people, Asian, Hispanic...? Anything to conflate the issue that our society is conditioned to look past black men in particular and have codified the image and agency of white women.
    Yes,Yes and Yes.

Worth noting the OP also created a thread called "Would The Dark Knight have survived in this new era of Feminism" Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Hasnt our non-indian Asian population only really started yo noticeably increase in the last 5-10 years ?
    Define noticeably? We've had various nations and nationalities join the country since the 17th Century (due to the Empire); and it's continued. According to the 2001 census there were 250,000 specifically Chinese British citizens.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-16-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Worth noting the OP also created a thread called "Would The Dark Knight have survived in this new era of Feminism" Hmmmm...

Define noticeably? We've had various nations and nationalities join the country since the 17th Century (due to the Empire); and it's continued. According to the 2001 census there were 250,000 specifically Chinese British citizens.
    By noticeably I mean they can actually influence the group-think of the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Asian males kinda own a genre of movie,Yeah it sucks that type casting happens but reliably they are parts available . Now Asian male love interest in drama even a comedy is a unicorn. I can't literally think of one blockbuster/big budget movie that features one.

Also White Woman have access to more roles than a bunch of minority males. I don't know why someone is going to try lump all actress in the same situation. You look up list of the highest paid female actress whole top ten is white. For the men(who get paid ridiculous more) Akshay Kumar,Will Smith, Jackie Chan, Dwayne Johnson, Salman Khan are on list along with RDJ, Clooney,Adam Sandler Chris Evans, and Hemsworth.
    I think pretty much every group has their own niche they can reliably get parts for. The heart of the question how large are those niches, and to what degree are the groups able to break out of them.

I do think certain groups have larger most defined niches, because frankly a lot of tv shows and movies have or perhaps more accurately HAD certain "formulas" or quotes or whatever you want to call it.

Cultural dissonance. In Asian circles in the West, pursuing a role as an entertainer/artist is seen as taking a gamble on something that won't necessarily get you financial security. Our role models are lawyers, doctors, scientists, entrepreneurs; of which we have plenty.

Lack of representation in the media/entertainment is a secondary concern for us.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Cultural dissonance. In Asian circles in the West, pursuing a role as an entertainer/artist is seen as taking a gamble on something that won't necessarily get you financial security. Our role models are lawyers, doctors, scientists, entrepreneurs; of which we have plenty.

Lack of representation in the media/entertainment is a secondary concern for us.
    We're probably getting way of topic here, but I do think that's a good point. In a lot of very key areas, asians are VERY well represented... Hollywood just isn't one of them.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean the most obvious example of this is Hitch.

Will Smith, biggest selling Black Actor of all time, well loved by everyone on all sides of the aisle. He stars in Hitch, a movie about a Dating Consultant who finds himself falling in love.

Studio refused to make his love interest a white woman because of 'Interracial fears' or a black woman because 'Itd alienate a white audience'.

Do you get that ? Its 2005. Will Smith is at the top of his game and yet HE STILL CANT DATE A WHITE GIRL.
    This just illustrates how black actresses get screwed over. The producers thought a white girl would be too controversial but a black girl ( who would be more statistically likely) would get the film labeled as a "black film" and limit their sales. So they split the difference with latina. Will Smith was star and was going to get a love interest ( at least in this movie) regardless, but his success didn't open doors for other african -american women.

That's why Viola Davis's speech at the Emmy's was so powerful for some people. We was saying, "Look we can do this stuff and crossover too! Let us be in more ****!"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This just illustrates how black actresses get screwed over. The producers thought a white girl would be too controversial but a black girl ( who would be more statistically likely) would get the film labeled as a "black film" and limit their sales. So they split the difference with latina. Will Smith was star and was going to get a love interest ( at least in this movie) regardless, but his success didn't open doors for other african -american women.

That's why Viola Davis's speech at the Emmy's was so powerful for some people. We was saying, "Look we can do this stuff and crossover too! Let us be in more ****!"
    In the least, it's probably more than fair to argue that a black female actress has it tougher than either a black male or a white female. They're sort of getting it from both ends.