Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Secret Empire was actually a pretty great story, as long as one knew - as anyone reasonable person should have - that Marvel was never going to actually let Steve Rogers turn out to have been a Hydra agent all along and just enjoy the twists and turns of the story as it unfolded. Aside from the main event, the Steve Rogers Cap book during Secret Empire was a particularly strong run, as "Stevil" outplayed everyone around him.

We all knew it wasn't going to stick but it was still insulting to (on his anniversary ) turn Cap into a nazi in Americas current political climate.

As for all these posters just being about cosmic ghost rider I've no problem with people getting irritated before they kbew the context. Marvels done too many dumv events in the last ten years and ridiculous "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING" **** as a weak sales boost tactic that its just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    As for all these posters just being about cosmic ghost rider I've no problem with people getting irritated before they kbew the context. Marvels done too many dumv events in the last ten years and ridiculous "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING" **** as a weak sales boost tactic that its just boring.
    Well, it got a lot more people talking and paying attention that if Marvel had just released the solicit. So mission accomplished I guess?

No, it will likely not get people who wouldn't care anyway interested in reading it, but now more of those who would knows about it.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Looks like we got an answer, it's all about Cosmic Ghost Rider messing with the timeline: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...c-ghost-rider/

Attachment 74864
    LMAO! I can't even with Marvel and those mysterious, almost dramatic teasers and then... this. But I guess people shouldn't be surprised. We all know how Marvel is like when they wanna push a character. Cosmic Ghost Rider is simply going through a Deadpool/Wolverine/Captain Marvel phase. I just hope good stories come out of it.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Looks like we got an answer, it's all about Cosmic Ghost Rider messing with the timeline: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...c-ghost-rider/

Attachment 74864
    I was excited until Cosmic GR's involvement was announced. Too bad.
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.

BANNED

We all knew it wasn't going to stick but it was still insulting to (on his anniversary ) turn Cap into a nazi in Americas current political climate.
    From the way some people acted, clearly not everyone knew it would be ok in the end. You don't send death threats when you know "Aw, it's just a story - Cap will be fine!"

As for it being insulting, the only thing as a fan I find insulting is not getting the best story a writer can deliver. Secret Empire was a great story and where some thought the timeliness of it was inappropriate, I think it's what made it all the more compelling.

And as we know, SE didn't actually turn Steve into anything. It was his doppelganger and the real Steve is still intact.

Would I want Captain America to always be mired in an evil Cap storyline? No, of course not. But too many fans are too quick to hit the panic button rather than let a story play out (or even react calmly to teasers!).

insulting to whom? American Nazis? I loved Secret Empire. and I wish that it were still ongoing.

Secret Empire was actually a pretty great story, as long as one knew - as anyone reasonable person should have - that Marvel was never going to actually let Steve Rogers turn out to have been a Hydra agent all along and just enjoy the twists and turns of the story as it unfolded. Aside from the main event, the Steve Rogers Cap book during Secret Empire was a particularly strong run, as "Stevil" outplayed everyone around him.
    I can only speak for myself. but I think they should have exploited it more. unlike the Dark Reign era, we saw very little of Secret Empire from the viewpoint of the actual villains. during Dark Reign, there was a Dark Avengers book and several minis. this time, we just got Brave New World. If not a Secret Empire Avengers book, they could have at least given me my Taskmaster/Black Ant mini!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I can only speak for myself. but I think they should have exploited it more. unlike the Dark Reign era, we saw very little of Secret Empire from the viewpoint of the actual villains. during Dark Reign, there was a Dark Avengers book and several minis. this time, we just got Brave New World. If not a Secret Empire Avengers book, they could have at least given me my Taskmaster/Black Ant mini!
    I sure wouldn't have complained about that! But I'm happy that Spencer is using Taskmaster and Black Ant over in ASM now.

I sure wouldn't have complained about that! But I'm happy that Spencer is using Taskmaster and Black Ant over in ASM now.
    of course. i'll take what I can get. but I just think that they would have a unique take on Secret Empire; as Madame Hydra's "bodyguards" and non-loyalists. might have been good to see Thor's take on what was happening, as well. we didn't get much into his headspace. now that I think about it, a Chthon possessed Scarlet Witch book might have been cool as hell. not many elder demons get solo books. they could have gone bonkers with it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, guess I can safely ignore this then .
    So can I still it was fun to speculate over what it might've been before we found out what it actually was about.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    I was excited until Cosmic GR's involvement was announced. Too bad.
    Agreed. More and more, Marvel is helping me perfect the art of saving my money.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Marvel posted a few intriguing teases, which probably most fans reacted to with interest, curiosity, and speculation.

It's not Marvel's fault that some other fans are so quick jump immediately into hysterics over nothing.
    There smart enough to know using the word destroyed would do that

it wasn't coincidence it was tactics

one they've made good use of

They expect it, even hope for it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It's a great move if you respect your audience enough to assume they have a sense of humor about themselves, and can handle benign ribbing about their tendency to overreact in regards to vague teasers.

I'm not planning on buying this book any more than I would be if it was the latest ridiculous event, but I can appreciate a good joke.
    It's just a tactic to poke a reaction, to get some heat so the books get some notice

They know it does what it does

they are relying on it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the problem is, with Marvel's recent history of too many "events" / universe-changing arcs, it's sometimes hard these days to tell if Marvel is kidding or not. (Hell, look what they dragged Steve Rogers through in Super-Secret-OMG!-Empire!)
    I agree

It's ok for them to do it, I'm not saying they can't

But I no longer trust anything they say in promotional teasers like this is invariably I just don't bother with the books

I suppose I saying that for a lot of people I think this stirring tactic is now very jaded and off putting

Not that Marvel would notice or care really

imo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Agreed. More and more, Marvel is helping me perfect the art of saving my money.
    Down to 2 books if I give up on avengers which is increasing in likely hood