Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

I've yet to read a single book with Cosmic Ghost Rider in it, yet I'm already absolutely sick of the character. It's almost like he's the new Deadpool, with this rabid need to put him in EVERYTHING (also see: Wolverine for most of the 80s and 90s). Of course, the big difference is that Wolverine and (to a lesser degree) Deadpool were original characters, while CGR is just combining two characters into a new take. That so may fans are fully embracing him like this speak just as poorly on them as it does the creators who came up with this prefab knockoff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I've yet to read a single book with Cosmic Ghost Rider in it, yet I'm already absolutely sick of the character. It's almost like he's the new Deadpool, with this rabid need to put him in EVERYTHING (also see: Wolverine for most of the 80s and 90s). Of course, the big difference is that Wolverine and (to a lesser degree) Deadpool were original characters, while CGR is just combining two characters into a new take. That so may fans are fully embracing him like this speak just as poorly on them as it does the creators who came up with this prefab knockoff.
    I'm not a rabid fan of him and I understand that, based on the concept alone, fans are inclined to make kneejerk assumptions but, as written, the character is more than a one note creation. Maybe the fans who are embracing the character are doing so because they, get this, actually read comics featuring him and enjoyed them.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I called this on the X-Boards! I'm a genius!

Also, Marvel successfully got the internet to freak out about a quirky comedy book. Never doubt the marketing department again.
    As I said, it's a tactic to stir the pot

Of course it gets some Internet heat

but this kind of marketing ploy just puts me off even trying it out, as by the time It's here I find in longer care from it just irritating me by the misdirection it applies

Astonishing Member

I really didn't like the thanos fan fiction story (imo) I first saw him in

So now I'm just skipping anything I see with him attached

BANNED

Haven't read through all the posts on this thread but has anyone considered that this may be an elaborate tribute to Stan Lee? That he or a characterization of him will be the central thread through all these titles that he originally had a hand in creating and all these stories fill in gaps with Stan being the one who "gives the FF their powers" who "brings Spidey back"? All as a tribute to "The Man". The fact that it centers around characters identified with Stan makes me believe this is a possibility.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I very much enjoy that this was all for a new Cosmic Ghost Rider series, and it had so many people worked up over nothing. It would be for nothing regardless I suppose, but at least with CGR you know the trolling was intentional.

This is the kind of laughing at the audience I respect the hell out of.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I very much enjoy that this was all for a new Cosmic Ghost Rider series, and it had so many people worked up over nothing. It would be for nothing regardless I suppose, but at least with CGR you know the trolling was intentional.

This is the kind of laughing at the audience I respect the hell out of.
    Yeah, it's always a smart move to poke the people who help pay the bills

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    You may want to look a bit closer...
    Breaking it up to help...

Writer Chip Zdarsky will team up with penciler Carlos Magno to bring the new story of the Invaders to life in INVADERS #1 in January 2019! Artist Butch Guice will create the cover; Mico Suayan and Alex Ross will provide variant covers.

Marvel's first super team made its first appearance in AVENGERS #71 back in 1969. The WWII-era team consisted of Captain America, Bucky Barnes, the Human Torch (plus his sidekick Toro), and Namor. (Team backstory. The past.)

The powerful foursome will reunite this winter -- with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and Namor as their enemy. INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Johnny Storm facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat. (Setup for the new series. The present.)

It looks like a Geoff Johns approach, where the modern team is based on the namesakes of the originals (such as with his Teen Tutans and JSA series).
    Thus, the reason for Johnny Storm to sub for Hammond.
    The original announcement said Jim, not Johnny.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...m-the-invaders

"INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Jim Hammond facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat."

And this tweet confirms it. https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1048196095573147649
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-12-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Marvel posted a few intriguing teases, which probably most fans reacted to with interest, curiosity, and speculation.

It's not Marvel's fault that some other fans are so quick jump immediately into hysterics over nothing.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    It's a great move if you respect your audience enough to assume they have a sense of humor about themselves, and can handle benign ribbing about their tendency to overreact in regards to vague teasers.

I'm not planning on buying this book any more than I would be if it was the latest ridiculous event, but I can appreciate a good joke.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Marvel’s Mightiest Podcast discusses this news and more on tonight’s episode
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It's a great move if you respect your audience enough to assume they have a sense of humor about themselves, and can handle benign ribbing about their tendency to overreact in regards to vague teasers.

I'm not planning on buying this book any more than I would be if it was the latest ridiculous event, but I can appreciate a good joke.
    But the problem is, with Marvel's recent history of too many "events" / universe-changing arcs, it's sometimes hard these days to tell if Marvel is kidding or not. (Hell, look what they dragged Steve Rogers through in Super-Secret-OMG!-Empire!)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the problem is, with Marvel's recent history of too many "events" / universe-changing arcs, it's sometimes hard these days to tell if Marvel is kidding or not. (Hell, look what they dragged Steve Rogers through in Super-Secret-OMG!-Empire!)
    Secret Empire was actually a pretty great story, as long as one knew - as anyone reasonable person should have - that Marvel was never going to actually let Steve Rogers turn out to have been a Hydra agent all along and just enjoy the twists and turns of the story as it unfolded. Aside from the main event, the Steve Rogers Cap book during Secret Empire was a particularly strong run, as "Stevil" outplayed everyone around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The original announcement said Jim, not Johnny.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...m-the-invaders

"INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Jim Hammond facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat."

And this tweet confirms it. https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1048196095573147649
    Ah, my bad.
    Apologies.

Guess it is Hammond, after all.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.