Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Funny, then how you only brought up one out of "like 10 (if not more)". Sounds like someone who didn't have a real case to make in the first place.
    Interesting he didn't name the other 9. Could it be those other 9 had bigger and better success than Mr Punk-who NOBODY attacked for his lack of comic book writing experience unlike Eve Ewing, Roxanne Gay, Gabby Rivera, Coates, Nnedi Okorafor, Rodney Barnes & Saladin Ahmed.

The expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" immediately came to mind when I read this. It's actually a very wise practice to follow.
    Make sure you send that memo to DC Comics. I don't remember the first Justice League team with Cyborg, Batman or Superman.
    Ollie & Black Lightning had KIDS. John Stewart had a WIFE, granny, father & brother. They don't have them now.

I'm sure be being disgruntled had a lot to do with those titles not selling very well too.
    Well that is out of YOUR hands. You can't make anyone buy a book.

"if you really think you can improve origin story of FF go off and create you own blockbuster characters..."
    Yet when Marvel does that-we see the greatest gymnastic routine to NOT support it. We see it set on fire, stabbed, creators harassed and folks MAKE UP stuff to bash the book even more.

The problem I have is with Marvel and it's fans that continue to act like the Marvel Universe is this solid continuous single continuity which is just BS.
    I don't need to read X-Men to enjoy Moon Girl or Ms Marvel or Riri or any Spider-Man title. What goes on in Black Panther has no bearing on Punisher.

So to folks like me-continuity means NOTHING.

All this Marvel is out of ideas is nothing more than taking issue with who is being used.

Could we get a decent Janet story? Yeah but we got too many gatekeepers who take issue with who is hired. If we went by the gatekeepers-we would have never gotten Eve Ewing doing more with Riri in ONE issue than 20 under Bendis. If fans want this stuff to STOP-new blood has to be given shots.

iMan 42s

So this is either Original Sin 2.0 and I get to play "why was this a problem" again in the Spider-man forum, or alternatively somebody just can't leave well enough alone and changed things.

I'll still probably never know why Silk was important.

Point being is that this feel unnecessary to even consider changing when there is a host of really bad stories or moments across the Marvel Universe like; Avengers 200, Doctor Doom skinning the woman he loves, Gwen Stacy having sex with Norman Oborn, or even Spider-man making a deal with Satan.

You'd think Marvel writers would work more towards changing things that sucked.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    As far as ''pretty to look at'' that depends on who's doing the art. ''ultimately meaningless'', probably given the history. ''Over-priced'' again, probably given the history of events. I'm just waiting to see what actually happens (or at least a preview or an interview about it) before I jump to conclusions about the quality (or lack of) of the story that's all.
    And my cynicism (and yes, sarcasm), is based on Marvel's recent history proving me at least 90% right. So...to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    DC reboots aren't stopping points for continuity because the old continuity always comes back. They don't really fully reboot because there's too much history to play with. So when it comes back, things get messier in universes that were rebooted to be simpler. This is not preferable to Marvel having a straight line and occasionally adding a squiggle, and neither is the X-Men just going in actual circles.
    This.
    10char
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And my cynicism (and yes, sarcasm), is based on Marvel's recent history proving me at least 90% right. So...to each their own.
    I'm sure we'll both have plenty more to say once the story is out. As I say I'll just wait before I say how good, so-so or bad the story actually is. As you rightly say though, to each their own.

I don't really have anything to add to that for now.

You know, the new No Surrender coming out could bleed into this. 12 issue weekly series...by March we'll get to this?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    *crosses fingers* please make Sue Storm a professional of some sort. she doesn't need to be a scientist. but give her something more than aspiring actress/model.
    This. If anything comes from the retcon I hope it's this.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Marvel history is destroyed, eh? Ok, I'll play along.

1. Who gave the FF their powers?

That would be the sorcerer, Genesis, albeit indirectly. As he traveled back in time, he amassed more and more mystical energy, which ultimately had the effect of warping reality and laws of physics. As he passed through our timeline on his way to the dawn of time the FF was just beginning to take their flight into space.

2. Who brought Spider Man back after Spider Man No More?

Mephisto. He's a glutton when it comes to torturing souls and he was getting bored with the same old fixin's without Peter. It's only fitting since the greatest evil usually inspires the good.

3. Who found Captain America before the Avengers?

That's easy: it was Blue Marvel.

Technically, Steve's body was found by Inuit fishermen, who for some reason Stan determined were still the kneel before graven divine image type. Namor comes along and ruins their worship, of course. So let's take it from there. Adam Brashear, who met Namor previously, takes off looking for his friend upon hearing that Namor is off on a rampage against mankind. He finds Namor harassing the Inuit and intervenes. After calming Namor (who promptly departs), Adam notices the block of ice. With his enhanced senses he easily detects Steve and revives him. Blue Marvel and Captain America, seeing each other as kindred spirits, form a partnership, eventually adding Namor, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Hellcat, Red Guardian, Valkyrie and the Hulk to their ranks. Thus were the Mighty Defenders born. The shield to the Avengers' sword.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-11-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I'm not into reboots, so if that's what marvel is planning, it may turn of a ton of readers. I also don't like retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    DC reboots aren't stopping points for continuity because the old continuity always comes back. They don't really fully reboot because there's too much history to play with. So when it comes back, things get messier in universes that were rebooted to be simpler. This is not preferable to Marvel having a straight line and occasionally adding a squiggle, and neither is the X-Men just going in actual circles.
    I guess we view things differently then because it's pretty easy to reconcile the reboots. If it saw print after COIE, it's part of that continuity. Doesn't matter if the stories eventually reference similar events from the pre-existing universe. It's a different continuity and the events can't have happened the same way. Every reboot is a re-imagining.

Marvel is constantly inserting characters and events in it's history that aren't just " events between the panels that you didn't see" but full on changes to pre-existing stories that we are still supposed to believe are canonical history except for the parts that they will change at random in some future story and then maybe change back, but maybe not.You never know. It destroys story logic in ways that reboots don't. At least for me.

I don't hate the Marvel characters. I just hate the retcon happy mess that they've made of things while pretending it's still the same universe. The creative bankruptcy of comics division, exemplified with the fact that almost ever story I read about is still more retcons piled on more retcons is pretty sad to me to. I used to really dig Marvel. Probably more than DC at times, but, it's just ruined for me. Too many retcons. Too much character deconstruction. Too many stories that have sweeping consequences that just get ignored. Too many deaths and resurrections. It's just a fictional homunculous trying to pass itself off as the real deal.

When I started reading comics in the 70's the creators built and added to the Universe that Stan, Jack, Steve, and everyone else created. It seems like all the current folks at Marvel know how to do is strip mine and rewrite the past. Over and over and over etc etc.

Sorry for the derailment. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Really down on Marvel and their creative decisions lately.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    damn. i was hoping this wouldn't touch the x-men////

Fantastic Member

talked to a person in the know about this and i dont want to spoil anything before the intial press release but this is for a huge tribute book/limited series special event planned for stan lee

war of realms starts in april and several of the main marvel book are having dedicated tie ins to the event hell ive seen art already for some of the big books tying in like avengers thor hulk, etc

Anyone else notice they are using Kirby imagery. Maybe a connection there?

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    damn. i was hoping this wouldn't touch the x-men////
    no no no if they have an opportunity to change the stupid phoenix egg retcon in anyway, they should go for it