Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there was supposed to be a jump between the page showing all the rescues and the page leading into Jon's reveal.
    This was how a read it too, but I don't think I articulated that to you well enough during our initial exchange.

And I regards to the climax being a bit of an anti climax for this chapter? I think I feel like that was the point. The multi splash page build up, Clark's rage boiling over, the speed of the battle, the mystery of Zaar, the mystery of Zod's motives, and Clark about to proclaim that this was what he was put on Earth to do, all point to this big hot-blooded ending that's side stepped by a sensible solution. Clark and the reader are left with, for lack of a better term, "blue balls." Dealing with that and refocusing was how I read the epilogue. The anti-climax was like a slap on the wrist/smack in the back of the head for Clark. That's how it landed for me at least.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

For fans of Jon it being anti-climactic could be promising. I mean, he doesn't show up leveling a building with heat vision or anything, he just pops up with a smile on his face. The aging element that is a point of contention is still there, but in regards to fears of overly-edgy it might be a good sign.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-12-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Bendis explains that the font choice (and, from what I can tell, the splash page storytelling) is a direct and deliberate callback to Superman 400.

https://twitter.com/georgegustines/s...02573227302912

There's a whole section of the collaboration that's told in nothing but splash pages and evocative, borderless, words. As a bonus, the story deal with the decedents of Superman, his direct and mark on humanity and the universe, and humanity venturing into the stars off his example. Yet another United Planets (and Jon's story) wink, if you ask me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For fans of Jon it being anti-climactic could be promising. I mean, he doesn't show up leveling a building with heat vision or anything, he just pops up with a smile on his face. The aging element that is a point of contention is still there, but in regards to fears of overly-edgy it might be a good sign.
    Yeah Jon seems alright so far. He’s not scowling with red eyes or whatever. The next arc looks promising, Multiverse shenanigans and no Rogal.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Another great issue, honestly. A bit of a quick read, but Bendis is playing to Reis' style here. Big, gorgeous pages full of character and movement. I loved it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Jon seems alright so far. He’s not scowling with red eyes or whatever. The next arc looks promising, Multiverse shenanigans and no Rogal.
    I wasn't a fan of Zaar since his intro. He seemed too generic for my taste but I wish Bendis could have given us a little more to chew on where he was concerned before moving on to Jon and this is after the last issue which I thought was great. I love this issue, it's beautiful and I'm eager to know what's happening there but I wanted more, a satisfying close to the arc (and now including very less decompression).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Even if Jon isn't angst-ridden or moody, he still got aged up, which sucks. DC is flush with teen characters. We don't need more. Making Jon into one due to a time skip or whatever is just lazy and cliche and it takes away all the great story possibilities that existed with him being the age that he was.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

How old do we think Jon is supposed to be? He seems pretty lanky/slight (by Superman standards), so he could be 14 or 15 -- still in Damian's age group.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 12-12-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Kon93

Ivan Reis makes this awesome,bendis did a respectful job with the Intermonlogue,but damn does he always have to write like he is writing for trades?

Jon,looks about 5 or more years older,sure it looks like it could work,BUT keeping him 10 worked way better,and would have kept working better in the long run.

Supergirl #25 actually had a lot of information on Rogal Zaar and his connection to the El’s.

C660601F-E0F3-44BE-8E4F-70D61BA109D8.jpg5CF28D46-5167-4796-A516-A18D13CB489B.jpg

Far more direct than what we have gotten so far from Bendis.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-12-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Supergirl #25 actually had a lot of information on Rogal Zaar and his connection to the El’s.

C660601F-E0F3-44BE-8E4F-70D61BA109D8.jpg5CF28D46-5167-4796-A516-A18D13CB489B.jpg

Far more direct than what we have gotten so far from Bendis.
    Yeah Supergirl has actually done a more through investigation into Rogal, and I wonder if that isn’t on purpose? Is Bendis deliberately leaving the matter of Rogal to Kara so as to not render her new direction redundant? That kind of makes sense but sheesh, maybe don’t do a 6-issue arc about Rogal to start off your new run then? Oh well, I’m enjoying both fwiw.

I am enjoying this, but...

There are too many people keeping secrets - secrets that have massive impact. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be an issue for me (I'm generally pretty patient, or so I've been told) but we're over 7 months into this and still don't really know anything. There are some great theories out there (like Superlad's (a lot of which I share, although I haven't gone to the uncle/half-bro thing )) but almost everything that has happened in the last 6 issues of Superman have basically taken place in a day (Zod's dream last issue may have occurred a few days before (and likely did), allowing for time for him to decide to seek out Kal and head to Earth etc).

(On the one hand, one can argue 'since it's only "a day or so" you can't expect to have any answers yet' but, on the other hand, it's been 7 months for us and we should at least have something.)

I was hoping (expecting?) Zod to have provided a little insight (other than showing that RZ is scary-strong as, despite having been in the Zone for longer than Kal (and doing none of the rescue feats Kal had to) and Zod being juiced up by two suns and 'fresh', he's able to take them both on at the same time :eek )

Zod called him 'creature' in issue 5 but that tells us nothing. 'Abomination' might have told us more.

Kal didn't need to shout 'For Kandor' as Zod already heard RZ mention it in issue 5: 'I know if I was faced with the destructor of my people... Krypton?! Kandor?! And you still can't bring yourself to kill me...' (but, dagnabbit, we still don't know what RZ realised he knew Kal 'never' (ugh ).

We're probably going to have two more Kryptonians show up (maybe three) now that Zod has 'disappeared', so Kal's going to have to get him out of the Zone or, frankly, Earth's going to get messed up again...

Adam needs to 'fess up what he knows - what has Sardath told him etc? He shouldn't rely on RZ being in the Zone to be reason enough to keep quiet. (We know the Thanagarians used him against the Tamaraneans 'many years ago' and that he had a major rep for being a being you don't want to mess with before then.)

Jor needs to let on what he knows about Kryptonian hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Still, it feels pretty stupid for Zod to engage on a one-man vendetta against Rogol, especially when he has a family to protect and a planet to command. There are two ways Zod's impulsiveness can be justified: a) Zod likely knew he wouldn't make it against Rogol, so he left his family behind in an attempt to protect them or b) Zod rushed towards Earth because once again, he wants to prove his superiority over Superman and the House of El. Whatever the reason was, Zod did what he did and there is no turning back for him now.
    I don't think Zod was looking RZ - he had a vision about him but I think he set out to find Kal because of the first part of the vision: bringing the disparate aspects of Krypton together. Unity.

He wasn't expecting Earth to be missing (shrunk) and I think he went into the Zone in order to rescue Kal and bring him onside than to battle him in any way.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Wondering if they're going to retell Chris Kent's storyline only with Jon.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    There are too many people keeping secrets - secrets that have massive impact. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be an issue for me (I'm generally pretty patient, or so I've been told) but we're over 7 months into this and still don't really know anything.
    Think of how little actual story progression has been made over these issues...and then realize that this is the issue that would mark the end of a normal trade collection.