Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Other History of the DC Universe" Delayed Indefinitely

https://www.cbr.com/john-ridley-othe...-indefinitely/

After being pushed back once already, John Ridley's The Other History of the DC Universe has now been delayed indefinitely.

DC informed retailers that all orders for the first issue of the miniseries have been canceled. The issue was initially supposed to debut in the winter of 2018 before being delayed until Jan. 2019. However, now the issue has reportedly been canceled, according to Newsarama, although DC has said it will be re-solicited at a future date.

The Other History of the DC Universe was slated to be a part of the DC Black Label imprint and written by the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of 12 Years a Slave John Ridley. The anthology series would have recruited a different artist each issue to explore various iconic moments in the history of the DCU, all from the perspective of heroes representing different disenfranchised groups. The first issue would have centered on the origins of Black Lightning, with future issues tackling Karen and Mal Duncan, Katana and Renee Montoya.

The Black Label imprint, which is designed to give creators more freedom to explore mature themes, garnered controversy earlier this year when the first issue of Batman: Damned featured a nude scene involving Bruce Wayne. Speculation about the future of the imprint has hovered ever since, which may have played a role in the apparent fate of The Other History of the DC Universe.

Well this is disappointing to say the least.

Mighty Member

DC is caving in once again. It's a mature imprint. So what the hell did they expect? I really hope the PC crowd doesn't ruin this. Black Label and this specific book has potential.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Doesn't seem like Black Label is progressing like DC hoped it would.

Astonishing Member

I wish Mal and Karen Duncan would have been handled better in Abnett's Titans run. Mal worked best as the Guardian, and Karen worked best when she created her own outfit and powers. She didn't across near as serious a scientist in current Titans as she did in the old post-Crisis New Teen Titans issues. Maybe if they are used in the new Young Justice animated series, someone will start using the couple again.

DC has dropped the ball.
    Come on now.
    Black Lable is a mature imprint, then stick to it.

Shame. I was looking forward to this.

Very, very disappointed by this news. I was greatly looking forward to that book.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    DC is caving in once again. It's a mature imprint. So what the hell did they expect? I really hope the PC crowd doesn't ruin this. Black Label and this specific book has potential.
    I honestly don't know why they would. They constantly talk about representation, right? Why have a problem with a book that accentuates on that.

Wow, I hope this is just because of creator scheduling.

Wait, a whole line of comics could go under because of one penis in shadows ?

US people sure are weird. I wonder how they would deal with books such as Lanfeust, which is kid/teenager-friendly and full of sex and other things like that.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The Black Label imprint, which is designed to give creators more freedom to explore mature themes, garnered controversy earlier this year when the first issue of Batman: Damned featured a nude scene involving Bruce Wayne. Speculation about the future of the imprint has hovered ever since, which may have played a role in the apparent fate of The Other History of the DC Universe.
    Weren't sales great for Batman: Damned? I have to assume there's another reason for the delay than the mature aspects.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Wait, a whole line of comics could go under because of one penis in shadows ?
    I hope not. Could just be a scheduling thing. DC has claimed the book will be resolicited at a later date.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Bruce Wayne's penis potentially destroying an imprint before it can even get off the ground would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid/sad.

I really hope that, whatever problems there are, this isn't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Yeah, I was really disappointed in DC for buckling so easy on the nudity issue. It's like they missed the point on their own imprint.