Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default RECAP AND REVIEW: Mr and Mrs X #6 [SPOILERS]

This recap and review is going to be shorter than usual. Today's a mess at work.

Obviously, there are spoilers ahead....

To get the most important thing out the way, there are many cat cameos, but the cats could be drawn cuter.

Gambit and Rogue are back on earth in their apartment. They are getting ready for their engagement party, when the doorbell rings. Bobby is apparently that guy who arrives early at your party, and Rogue takes full advantage of his presence and puts him to work. He pretends that he doesn't know Gambit has exquisite taste in apartments.

While Bobby is cutting the cheese and feeling oppressed by not making jokes about his task, the doorbell rings again. This time, it is Jean-Luc, who is rocking a pirate look that puts his manpatch on full display. Dr Ian Malcolm would be proud.

Rogue is considerably more charming to Jean-Luc, but it turns out that he has come to warn Gambit about an impending attack. Which crashes through the skylight in the form of a thief with a bo-staff. Rogue tells them to take it outside, and Gambit obliges by taking the other thief's staff, planting a card on him, and sending him through the skylight. As Gambit follows him, he discovers that more thieves are waiting, and a fight ensues. Remy is holding his own against them, when Rogue comes and gets a chain around her neck for her troubles. Gambit uses a card to break her free. It is the queen of hearts, because Gambit apparently buys all trick decks for the symbolism. Rogue throws down the one thief who had her captive, and punches out another other coming at her.

At that point, Rogue gets annoyed, because their guests are arriving and the quiches are burning. She takes off her collar, and knocks them all unconscious. Gambit wisely jumps off the roof. While I get why Thompson made this choice from a narrative perspective (it ends the fight scene fast), I don't love it for two reasons. I would have liked to see Gambit have more agency in resolving the situation, and I also don't see Rogue using her uncontrollable, not-yet-fully understood powers so cavalierly.

Meanwhile, Laura has arrived in time to see Gambit dive down outside the window, and get a drink from Bobby.

After the thieves have been dispatched, the X-Men are mingling. It's a cute and fun scene, and I would have been fine with it going a few more pages.

Later, Rogue has gone out for some fresh air, and Gambit steps into the bedroom. He finds a wife there, but it isn't his current one. It's Belladonna, who has a gorgeous dress and unfortunate anatomy. Seriously, if I weren't in the office, I would try and see if my leg could do that, but I don't think it could.

She is upset that she wasn't invited to the wedding, because she apparently doesn't understand how the ex-wife thing works. Gambit tries to explain that it was impromptu, and they didn't even really invite Rogue's family, other than Kurt. She tells Gambit that he always makes excuses for Rogue, and trails after her like a puppy. She also informs him that the thieves are not pleased with the marriage, and are going to be coming for his crown.

And then we have the cursed scene. Rogue is floating in the sky. She has apparently called Magneto (?), because she wants to apologize to him (?) about not telling him about her wedding. They have a heart-to-heart, and she confides in him (?) about her feelings about the suppression collar and her experiences on Genosha. She says that she's scared to talk with it about Gambit, because she doesn't want to drive him away. It's a scene that happens in this book. It made me roll my eyes a lot. It's not exactly out of character for Rogue, but does anyone who buys MMX actually want to see Rogue and Magneto interacting? Those are multiple panels that could have been used for party banter, or actual Mr and Mrs X interactions.

Finally, Rogue is back at the apartment, and bumps into Beast. He has come up with a better power inhibitor in the form of a tennis bracelet.

Gambit admires the new bracelet, and proposes that they test it out by pushing it to the limit. Rogue is in favor of science. They both realize they have to talk, but decide to leave it until the next day.

As they wander back in to the apartment, they notice another box on the table, and assume they forgot a gift. When they open it, it transports them to Mojoworld, where they have the glorious 90s uniforms. It is still one of Rogue's best looks, and her hair has never been as good since. They are slung upside down over a pit of crocodiles that may or may not be a metaphor for sexual frustration.

Final thoughts: I liked it, but I didn't love it and want to marry it.

It had some of my favorite moments in the series: I really enjoyed Rogue's interactions with Bobby, and Gambit's conversation with Belladonna. But the Magneto conversation was a choice.

I also enjoyed getting to see Gambit in action against the thieves, but was disappointed when it was truncated by yet another Rogue feat. I've been an apologist for using Rogue in the resolutions, but I think Gambit needs to get more shine.

It had the cats, but they could have been much cuter. The art in general was uneven. Sometimes, it was fun and dynamic. Other times, it was ugly and anatomically improbable.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 12-12-2018 at 08:30 AM.

BANNED

The talk with Erik was legit, even though the excuse for it was flimsy. It's nice to know that he cares about Rogue and support her marriage.

Also, the fact that Magneto of all people would float upsidr down for a heart to heart is hilarious even if OOC.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I love Rogue and Gambit as a couple but i didn't find the Magneto scene bad. It was good to see that he cares about her. But there is nothing to worry about it.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 12-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.

It was ok at best. Not satisfied with this issue.

Lame things:
    Rogue again saves the day.

Lame Magneto cameo that never was needed in this series.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 12-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.

My favorite things about this issue:
    Marry Sue Rogue saving the day. She is just so super awesome.

Rogue inviting her ex so she could talk out her issues instead of talking to her actual husband. Mags is just so manly looking and caring. I am shocked they just didn't do it in the air right then and there.

Things I am looking forward too:
    Rogue taking over as Queen of Thieves from their incompetent King. With Bella they can form an awesome duo. Go girl power!
    Last edited by remydat; 12-12-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I was expecting more of an X-Men reunion but they were mere cameos. Id like the assassins plot not to be solved so quickly too. And yes Rogue feeling like she owes Magneto an apology is eye rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    The talk with Erik was legit, even though the excuse for it was flimsy. It's nice to know that he cares about Rogue and support her marriage.

Also, the fact that Magneto of all people would float upsidr down for a heart to heart is hilarious even if OOC.
    If I'm being totally unbiased, it was a better scene than I'm making it out to be in this review. I don't find it odd that Rogue feels the need to apologize to him for not telling him. Even if I wouldn't feel the need to tell an ex I was getting married, Rogue has a strange sense of obligation towards Magneto, and probably would. I did find it a little odd that she would confide in him about her deepest insecurities, and wouldn't consider how Gambit might feel about that. But, again, that's not out of character for her. She's not a great partner in many ways.

And I did laugh at the panel where he tries to wipe her tear but it is falling the other direction.

Didn’t know people apologizing to their ex for not inviting them to their wedding is a thing, lmao what??? The whole scene was redundant and didn’t make a lot of sense imo, what exactly was the purpose of it? At least the scene with Remy and Belle was probably setting up for the Thieves Guild arc after Mojoverse. Also, Magneto taking a day off to... attend a house party..? Idk for me, the whole scene really brought down the whole issue for me because it left me with a huge ass question mark.

Hush now, there is nothing wrong with inviting your murderous EX who tried to kill your current husband and is currently at war with all your friends just to confide in him. Happens all the time.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Overall, it was an average issue probably the worst of the series so far, but to be fair my expectations with the party themed issue maybe were a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I also enjoyed getting to see Gambit in action against the thieves, but was disappointed when it was truncated by yet another Rogue feat. I've been an apologist for using Rogue in the resolutions, but I think Gambit needs to get more shine.
    Agreed, this is a must for the next arc.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    Didn’t know people apologizing to their ex for not inviting them to their wedding is a thing, lmao what??? The whole scene was redundant and didn’t make a lot of sense imo, what exactly was the purpose of it? At least the scene with Remy and Belle was probably setting up for the Thieves Guild arc after Mojoverse. Also, Magneto taking a day off to... attend a house party..? Idk for me, the whole scene really brought down the whole issue for me because it left me with a huge ass question mark.
    Agreed, I could give the "apologizing" a pass but the main problem about that scene is that she feels more confortable expressing her more intimate doubts to Magneto rather than her husband or one of the many x-men friends that were in the party, why not have that talk with Jean or Ororo instead?

Lopez has to be the most inconsistent artist I've seen, some panel are gorgeous but other are plain hideous. After this I won't complain about Bazaldua's faces anymore and I can't believe I'm say this but thanks god he is coming back for the next arc.

I'll rate this issue a 5/10

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I can't believe we have a highly-promoted ongoing book about Rogue and Gambit relationship angst (guest-starring Magneto) in 2018.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

My thoughts on this weeks, action scenes...
    L'Enfer !

Astonishing Member

Technically, it wasn’t ‘relationship’ doubts she was having, it was her personal insecurities. But she still doesn’t ‘owe’ him anything, least of all an apology and even when they were together, he was never supportive, about anything and she didn’t ‘confide anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    Exactly. I love how she tries to turn magneto into her gal pal all the sudden. Gushing about how romantic it was that Remy proposed with her powers all out of whack… Not only did he propose with her powers not being under control but he insisted that they stay married when she was ready to run once her powers were completely insane.

Anyway this was a fun issue but I really disliked the scene with magneto. She confides in this man and calls on him instead of turning to Remy. That’s her biggest problem. Kelly showcasing that she still cares about magneto does nothing great for the new marriage. I love how Rogue tells him she’s never felt more alone. Or maybe if you confided in the person that you should probably be confiding in things would be different... but NOOOOOO Let’s call your murderous ex during your would-be engagement party behind your husband’s back.

Whatever.

I did love the tender scene that they got towards the end… And I love that they showcased Rogue’s ring finally.

Belle looked gorgeous... wish Lopez could’ve worked a little his magic on rogue.

I’m trying to see the bright side in the whole magneto scene but it just leaves me with the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Am I alone in this? I’m sorry I have an actually read the thread… I just came to the comic store to pick up my floppy and had this to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It was ok at best. Not satisfied with this issue.

Lame things:
    Rogue again saves the day.

Lame Magneto cameo that never was needed in this series.
    Magneto is the elephant in the room. Im glad KT addressed it so we can move von