Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I loved the issue. I can see where people are coming from for having concerns, but I still really enjoyed it.

What I loved:

Bobby – Loved his friendship moments with Rogue and Gambit’s little digs at him. I keep thinking about X-Men #45 and how Remy experienced one of his most painful breakups in front of Bobby with Bobby even telling Gambit something like “I’m sorry man. You tried your best.” So those little interactions win points with me.

BEAST! BEAST! Why are we not talking more about Beast? How sweet was he? And after doing all that work to help Rogue, he even admits that he wishes he could do more! Loved the teasing with Storm and Beast and how Storm confides in her bestie, Remy, that she did forget she was driving Beast home. After his Christmas story and how lonely he appears to be, I thought this was incredibly thoughtful of him. Plus, we know he was the top of the list of the X-Men phone tree informing Gambit of the Deadpool/Rogue kiss so he owed him one

Belladonna is not a crazy lady. She voiced out reasonable issues about Rogue and all for her concern for Remy – her best friend, first love and ex-husband. Sure, because I love Rogue, part of me automatically wants to hate Belle, but I like seeing her as a cool, smart and collected leader. Gambit would only have fell in love with an awesome person, so I'd like to see that. I hated her as crazy in the Rogue first limited series.

Bishop – referencing the boysenberry pie! HA!

Kelly calling us readers out in Mojo’s announcer message – you know we’re all thinking these things.

Gambit telling Kitty he’d throw her out of the window

For further discussion:

Gambit asking Rogue to join the fight: I never saw this as Gambit needing help. He just knows his spit-fire wife enough to know she’d want in on the action. Plus, Gambit never seemed like the kinda guy always needing to flex his muscles and prove something. He was always confident in his abilities (knowing he could deal with the intruders himself if he had to). But if you want to come with, sure.

Rogue saving the day: I’m okay with it because for the story’s sake, it ended the fight for the party. Do I need Gambit to save the day soon and do even more awesome things – YES. But I’m being optimistic and patient believing it is coming. I HAVE FAITH in Kelly Thompson. I believe she adores and respects Gambit.

Where’s Tante Mattie: I figured we need to have a bigger moment with her. It always touched me that she loved Rogue right away and I think she knew from the start how important Rogue would be to her boy. So rushing Tante Mattie in here along with Jean Luc wouldn’t do it justice.

The Rogue and Magneto scene: Okay…I don’t know how to truly describe how much I hated the Rogue and Magneto THING back in the day. It’s the reason I skipped Magneto’s story in the X-Men Holiday issue. It’s the reason, I’ve refused to watch many of the Marvel movies (because Magneto is a focus and yah, I get he is an interesting character and prior to being with Rogue, I actually liked him but now, I can’t stomach it). It’s the reason I continued my boycott of comics for so long. It’s the reason I still refuse to appreciate Carey’s work in building up Rogue’s character. But even then, I was able to appreciate this conversation with Rogue and Magneto in MMX#6. Like it or not, they were together (I AM GOING TO THROW UP) and for me, the conversation was a nail in that coffin – it was closure and something a lot of readers were looking for. It makes sense to pair it in the issue where Gambit first discusses his marriage with Belladonna. Mind you, in real life, I would consider Rogue’s dialog more offensive to Magneto over Gambit – “sure, we all know I rejected you dude when you asked me to marry you, but let me gush insensitively about why I JUMPED at the chance to marry Remy and how I’m so scared to lose HIM when I so easily walked away from you.” To his credit, Magneto doesn’t take it this way, listens and offers his advice. He is respectful and even says that Gambit is a solid guy who wouldn’t run when things get rough. Magneto appears to care about her happiness and tells Rogue she is lucky to be with Remy. That’s got to be painful. Her confiding in Magneto doesn’t rub me the wrong way because I feel that she is going to tell Remy but is working up the courage to. The cheek caress is less offensive to me compared to Belle kissing Gambit on the cheek – and I was still okay with Belle’s departing gesture.

Anyone else curious about how Rogue will react to Gambit having to get his house in order? She says it herself that she doesn’t care about the thieves situation too much and while comedic, made me wonder what’s coming down the pipe? Rogue needs to step up and start supporting her man and this is a huge part of his life. Plus, when you marry someone, you marry their family. What does that mean when it’s the Thieves Guild.

Random thought: I think this all plays nicely into the opening lines of the series in MMX #1. I’m paraphrasing but along the lines of “you’re always the star of your own world and your story and what happens when you collide with someone else’s.” Gambit and Rogue had such interesting and explosive stories on their own so it’s so exciting to see how their marriage would work. It is a lot to deal with, but like real life relationships, they are trying to make it work. I just love that.
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 12-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The problem for me with the Magneto scene is that whenever in the future that Marvel decides to break up Remy&Rogue some writer will use this to justify that Rogue never really closed her heart to Magneto. It will be a Carey mess again. It's always harder to swallow the "she never really loved him, she never got over X" stories then the other crap Marvel backtracks with when they decide to undo a couple. So In that regard any involvement from Magneto would have best been dealt with a charged helmet as a "thank you for last time". It almost feels like KT is writting a story where relationships and emotions are dealt with in a mature adult maner, in a world where nothing but absolute black/white seems to survive writers vivid interpretations of 80's stories.

A bit to much Bobby for me, about half of the jokes worked for me.

KT should know by now that Gambit needs to shine more in the fights. Hopefully that will be adressed in the next arc before this gets to be more of a sore point for the ongoing. Worst case they are so far into issues that it can't be adressed until 3-4 issues into the future.

Small nitpick but does Laura call him Remy or Gambit? Don't want to flip through my X-23 issues & the wedding for such a small thing. Ahh I miss Marjoriue Liu. Would be so much fun seeing another comic like an teambook where she can give her view on the happy couple.

Overall: 7 of 10. Not the best so far but still so much more enjoyable then the rest of what Marvel offers.
    An iconic X-relationship will forever be in murky waters because of a prior controversial relationship issue. Huh...

evo107_6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Magneto is the elephant in the room. Im glad KT addressed it so we can move von
    The only thing that it addressed was that Rogue still feels some type of way towards Magneto, enough for her to apologize and confide in, rather than her own husband...??
    Last edited by rogueisbae; 12-12-2018 at 04:04 PM.

She treated Magneto/Rogue with respect which as a fan all I could ask for bc I wouldnt have been surprised if he had been thrown under the bus to prop them up which KT definitely could have done and Marvel has him on the path of being a villian
    Oh wow, she treated Rogue and her ex with respect by having Rogue disrespect and keep secrets from her husband. You don't see the problem with that?
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Oh wow, she treated Rogue and her ex with respect by having Rogue disrespect and keep secrets from her husband. You don't see the problem with that?
    She is doing what Gambit is doing. He is her teacher.

She respects Gambit.

I havent said anything about Gambit's marriage. I am speaking as a fan of Magneto and Magneto/Rogue and felt KT handled them well considering the circumstances. If my last two posts werent clear, thats what I was referring to when I mentioned the word respect.

The Genosha event Rogue was talking with Magneto about was UXM#236, which came out in October of 1988. I feel it won't be the last will be the last time this will be referenced, because of the emotional impact of being manhandled while powerless at hands of the Genoshan guards, Rogue retreated into the deeps of her subconscious, the Carol persona convinced Rogue to release her from Rogue's subconscious. They didn't get along real well sharing Rogue's body. (See UXM#244 for a good example.) Two years to the month that Rogue released the Carol persona from her subconscious in UXM#236, Rogue and the Carol persona are sepperated after Rogue comes out the Seige Perilous in UXM#269 dated October 1990. Here is the cover of UXM#236. Look famiiar?
    http://www.Marvel.com/comics/issue/1...x-men_1963_236
    I still feel the events of U/A 22/23 caused a block in her subconscious, which caused Rogue to lose control of her power.
    Last edited by mikeb; 12-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Anybody notice in the 2-page spread ( the one where Laura says "Talk to the claws, man".) there are 2 Rogues and 2 Gambits?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Anybody notice in the 2-page spread ( the one where Laura says "Talk to the claws, man".) there are 2 Rogues and 2 Gambits?
    I assumed it was a kind of time-lapse shot. Wasted opportunity to have the cats be a little more engaged, maybe getting into food, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    She is doing what Gambit is doing. He is her teacher.

She respects Gambit.
    Umm they made a committment as part of marriage. Trying to compare that to **** that happened when they were not married is disingenuous and juvenile.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I havent said anything about Gambit's marriage. I am speaking as a fan of Magneto and Magneto/Rogue and felt KT handled them well considering the circumstances. If my last two posts werent clear, thats what I was referring to when I mentioned the word respect.
    Yes I understood. I am saying having Rogue treat Mags with more respect than her actual husband is a problem.

BANNED

Umm they made a committment as part of marriage. Trying to compare that to **** that happened when they were not married is disingenuous and juvenile.
    I am sorry. That wasn't my intention.

I wanted to say that I think that this works for them. One of them is making mistake and later is saying:"I love You." and they have a kiss and they are happy.

I think that assuming that people change because of marriage is naive.

Gambit married Rogue because she is ok with this. She also acts that way right? For example in XXM (ending).

They both acted this way many times before marriage. They married because that's ok for them.
    Last edited by Xelossik; 12-12-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Ultimate Member

I think that the big problem is that Gambit didn't ask for his ex-wife to show up at the party, she crashed it, unlike with Rogue who of her own free will went to her ex to talk about her current relationship...kind of an odd thing to do...and that Magneto would care at all about Gambit...

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    For further discussion:

Gambit asking Rogue to join the fight: I never saw this as Gambit needing help. He just knows his spit-fire wife enough to know she’d want in on the action. Plus, Gambit never seemed like the kinda guy always needing to flex his muscles and prove something. He was always confident in his abilities (knowing he could deal with the intruders himself if he had to). But if you want to come with, sure.

Rogue saving the day: I’m okay with it because for the story’s sake, it ended the fight for the party. Do I need Gambit to save the day soon and do even more awesome things – YES. But I’m being optimistic and patient believing it is coming. I HAVE FAITH in Kelly Thompson. I believe she adores and respects Gambit.

Where’s Tante Mattie: I figured we need to have a bigger moment with her. It always touched me that she loved Rogue right away and I think she knew from the start how important Rogue would be to her boy. So rushing Tante Mattie in here along with Jean Luc wouldn’t do it justice.

The Rogue and Magneto scene: Okay…I don’t know how to truly describe how much I hated the Rogue and Magneto THING back in the day. It’s the reason I skipped Magneto’s story in the X-Men Holiday issue. It’s the reason, I’ve refused to watch many of the Marvel movies (because Magneto is a focus and yah, I get he is an interesting character and prior to being with Rogue, I actually liked him but now, I can’t stomach it). It’s the reason I continued my boycott of comics for so long. It’s the reason I still refuse to appreciate Carey’s work in building up Rogue’s character. But even then, I was able to appreciate this conversation with Rogue and Magneto in MMX#6. Like it or not, they were together (I AM GOING TO THROW UP) and for me, the conversation was a nail in that coffin – it was closure and something a lot of readers were looking for. It makes sense to pair it in the issue where Gambit first discusses his marriage with Belladonna. Mind you, in real life, I would consider Rogue’s dialog more offensive to Magneto over Gambit – “sure, we all know I rejected you dude when you asked me to marry you, but let me gush insensitively about why I JUMPED at the chance to marry Remy and how I’m so scared to lose HIM when I so easily walked away from you.” To his credit, Magneto doesn’t take it this way, listens and offers his advice. He is respectful and even says that Gambit is a solid guy who wouldn’t run when things get rough. Magneto appears to care about her happiness and tells Rogue she is lucky to be with Remy. That’s got to be painful. Her confiding in Magneto doesn’t rub me the wrong way because I feel that she is going to tell Remy but is working up the courage to. The cheek caress is less offensive to me compared to Belle kissing Gambit on the cheek – and I was still okay with Belle’s departing gesture.

Anyone else curious about how Rogue will react to Gambit having to get his house in order? She says it herself that she doesn’t care about the thieves situation too much and while comedic, made me wonder what’s coming down the pipe? Rogue needs to step up and start supporting her man and this is a huge part of his life. Plus, when you marry someone, you marry their family. What does that mean when it’s the Thieves Guild.

Random thought: I think this all plays nicely into the opening lines of the series in MMX #1. I’m paraphrasing but along the lines of “you’re always the star of your own world and your story and what happens when you collide with someone else’s.” Gambit and Rogue had such interesting and explosive stories on their own so it’s so exciting to see how their marriage would work. It is a lot to deal with, but like real life relationships, they are trying to make it work. I just love that.

Gambit and Rogue fight: I basically agree with your point here. Gambit doesn't come across as incompetent in the fight. He's clearly got the situation handled by himself, even before Rogue arrives on the scene. I think others are being a bit hyperbolic about how bad he looks. He is doing fine against a large group of armed thieves. He jumps off the top of a skyscraper and lands without a scratch. He is clearly a badass there.

I just would have liked to see Gambit have more of a role in finishing the fight. It feels like Rogue always gets to deliver the coup de grace (since she can usually do it quickly in a panel or two), and it would have been nice to mix it up in this case. Especially since Gambit would have a real stake in showing he can still put down rebellions as king of thieves.

Also, I don't see Rogue using her new powers that casually.

But that raises another issue I have with the series, which isn't a major gripe. It feels as if each issue has just one or two too many things happening it. I'm certainly not a professional comics writer and I can't be fully aware of the pressures they're under to produce commercially-successful work. But it feels as if the stories so far could have benefited from having an element or two removed. In the first arc, the Starjammers felt like one cameo too many. In this book, I thought it was overly ambitious to do thieves, Belladonna, Magneto, and X-Men. It's a testament to KT that she almost pulls it off perfectly, but focusing just on Gambit's family, the thieves, and Belladonna would have created more space.

Rogue and Magneto: I appreciate your take on it. I hadn't thought about how tactless Rogue was being by gushing about Gambit's proposal to a man she shot down, and I am pettily into it.

Rogue and thieves: I am also very interested to see how that will play out. It's clear that she's always seen that as Gambit's other life. While she doesn't care that much about his extracurricular activities, she also doesn't want to get involved in it. But now she has no choice since she married into it. It's like being the first lady.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    The only thing that it addressed was that Rogue still feels some type of way towards Magneto, enough for her to apologize and confide in, rather than her own husband...??
    It is often easier to confide in someone who isn't your husband, especially about fears or problems you may have about your relationship. There's less at stake. There's even less at stake when it's someone who is way outside your social circle, and you know it won't make it back to the person. It's why people write to advice columnists and post on r/relationships on reddit. Magneto is basically acting as her agony aunt.

Rogue's always kept up a protective front around Gambit. She hides a lot of her fears and vulnerabilities under a layer of sass. She loves him, and that gives him the power to hurt her. She's scared that, if she tells him how bad the situation is and how afraid she is about it and how mixed her feelings about the collar are, he will leave her. It's something she definitely needs to work on in the marriage.

(I can empathize with this a lot, because I know I sometimes worry about letting my husband see my mental health issues... It's easier to talk to a therapist than to him about them, and my husband is a wonderful, supportive guy who would absolutely understand.)

So, I don't think it's a sign she doesn't love Gambit or trusts Magneto more.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 12-13-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Gonna keep this laser focused and roll out all the YUS of this issue. But I may forget something (lots going on this issue) and I don't have my copy with me for reference. Here goes.

YUS(!):
    Remy was giving me swagger when he descended his sick staircase and scooped up his kitty.
    Rogue's boots were hawt.
    So much kitteos (kitty camoes -- the lil' babies, not Pryde)
    Remy being hella boss, throwing down HARD with the thief gang.
    Something about that moment when Remy tells Rogue "Chere, eyes" and she closes hers as the card pelts her assailant in the face. Loved that moment.
    Remy being hella boss, AGAIN, just HURLING HIMSELF OFF THE FLIPPIN ROOF AND NOSE DIVING TO WHAT IS CLEARLY A LANDING SO RAD AND CATLIKE WE CANNOT FATHOM, thus it was not shown on panel.
    I really liked Bobby saying the thing so many Laura fans are thinking, about her making jokes and more or less displaying a personality. ha ha ha. That was hilarious, imho.
    I ADORED the bird's eye view of the party in full swing and getting all those little conversations, even if just briefly.
    BEAST comes through AT LAST with a worthwhile contribution and melts my heart in the process.
    Belle looked fierce. Respect.
    I dug the ending and I find the whole being hung upside down by your captors running gag rather charming. This is their THIRD(?) hung-by-their-feet-capture under Kelly, if I'm not mistaken-- Couples retreat, Shi'Ar fiasco and now Mojo. Its funny. Hate me all you want.

Now I'll be deeply and unabashedly shallow and make two requests moving forward: 1) I hope we get sexier art moving forward. Zero disrespect to Lopez, he's a star storyteller. 2) Let Rogue grow her platinum out, losing the gangs and giving us full sweeping mane please.