Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I liked the issue but I think it would have been great to see a little more downtime between the X-men, specially Jean and Lorna who are supposed to be frineds but barely talk to each other anymore.

Rogue & Gambit: I liked that they are inviting friends to their home but like most newly wed couples, they still have a lot of stuff to manage between each other and they also have comunication issues, but this can be good if the author uses them to make them grow as characters, I like this better than them being almost one mind, like Scott and Jean used to be, to the point their characters are affected negatively because their relationship overcomes everything else in their lifes.

With that said, I agree with the complaints about Gambit not having much development in comparison to Rogue, imo, Kelly would do well to expand on Gambit´s side of the relationship, after we had Rogue´s feelings about her powers being worse than ever again. It would be nice to know more about him. I loved Belladona as a leader, and yes, she´s suposed to be here to make Rogue jealous but it will interesting if Kelly goes beyond that makes Bella a character in her own right.

Rogue: I know her powers always become an issue once she´s in a relationship, my guess is that the origin of her lack of control is related to relationship issues she has and not so much about not being capable of controling them, as a new wife you could understand she being nervious about her future, thinking everything is going to go badly once again, yes, it can be taken as inmature on her part, but once again, she never has been married. So I think her actions are a little inmature and self centered but understable in this situation imo.

Magneto: Now the elephant in the room and my favourite character, as his fan I feared what Kelly would do to with him in this context, I feared that he could become a caricature of himself and act like the "typical scorned lover" in those kinds of books were he´s the ex of the main couple, happily this didn´t happen, I liked that he´s still a friend of Rogue but curiously, I am happy they are not together anymore, from my pov, they only work in a context similar to the Age of Apocalypse, even if I didn´t like how they got togetheR , a context in which it makes sense for them both to become leaders, work together and have a not so pacific position as X-men and an "ends justifices the means" kind of philosophy, without it imo, they don´t really have much in common and their character issues show a lot more, that without talking about all the bad story between them as X-MEN foes.

But what I really liked about this is that Kelly seems to have made a nice scene that relates to one of their last moment together on X-men Legacy, Rogue dislikes Magneto´s general behavoir, and his means justify the ends pov, but precisely because of his darkness she isn´t so afraid to show him her own darkness, which I thik happened in this issue, is hard to show herself vulnerable to her husband about their relationship when they just got married, she´s bassically afraid of her powers scaring off Gambit and making him seek other women with less issues than her, Magneto can relate to this imo, because his own wife leave him when Anya died and he lost control of his powers killing off ppl, but this is completely different to the relationship Rogue and Gambit have, Magda and Max didn´t know he was even a mutant, while Rogue and Gambit have trust issues but they have known each other for years and they do seem to love each other. They just need to talk things out, which can be hard considering they prefer to deal with their issues on their own but they have to overcome this so their relationship can get better imo.

Well, that´s my general view of the issue.
    Wow. I truly enjoyed your insightful post. Especially coming from a big fan of magneto. It took me a few days to sit down with this issue to finally understand basically the things that you’ve pointed out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Thanks Romy ship I am glad you enjoyed it and well , I like to see the pov of each character from their perspective, and that helps to understand a little more where the writer is leading the characters, it doesn´t always work but it´s fun to understand the characters and while Magneto is my favourite X-men character, I enjoy reading about Rogue and Remy too, specially with Kelly´s style.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I never disputed the fact Gambit had secrets during those runs. I said he has not been keeping secrets from her since they reunited ie since the Romy mini and now this book. The point is Gambit appears to be taking his marriage vows seriously while Rogue is finding comfort in another man.
    You are right. He appears to be taking his marriage vows seriously. Till next writer.
    People don't change just because they married someone.

Rogue acting that way means that she respects Gambit. She is doing what he was doing (years 1991-2016). That's how she appreciates Gambit and his behaviour.
    Is this ok? no
    is this healthy? no

but she married a man who has a lot of secrets. He always had. He preffers to solve his troubles alone.
    Why she should tire him with her troubles?

You don't show love or respect by picking up the bad habits of your spouse. That is absurd. You keep trying to indirectly blame Gambit for Rogue's flaws. Rogue is her own person. Her flaws are of her (or more precisely the writers) own making and have nothing to do with Gambit.

And sure maybe Gambit will revert back to his bad habits under another writer but as it currently stands, it is Rogue not Gambit that is not fully committed to this relationship. Trying to blame Gambit for that fact isn't going to change the current reality. If Rogue wasn't going to attempt to turn over a new leaf like Gambit apparently has then she shouldn't have accepted his proposal.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I liked the issue but I think it would have been great to see a little more downtime between the X-men, specially Jean and Lorna who are supposed to be frineds but barely talk to each other anymore.

Rogue & Gambit: I liked that they are inviting friends to their home but like most newly wed couples, they still have a lot of stuff to manage between each other and they also have comunication issues, but this can be good if the author uses them to make them grow as characters, I like this better than them being almost one mind, like Scott and Jean used to be, to the point their characters are affected negatively because their relationship overcomes everything else in their lifes.

With that said, I agree with the complaints about Gambit not having much development in comparison to Rogue, imo, Kelly would do well to expand on Gambit´s side of the relationship, after we had Rogue´s feelings about her powers being worse than ever again. It would be nice to know more about him. I loved Belladona as a leader, and yes, she´s suposed to be here to make Rogue jealous but it will interesting if Kelly goes beyond that makes Bella a character in her own right.

Rogue: I know her powers always become an issue once she´s in a relationship, my guess is that the origin of her lack of control is related to relationship issues she has and not so much about not being capable of controling them, as a new wife you could understand she being nervious about her future, thinking everything is going to go badly once again, yes, it can be taken as inmature on her part, but once again, she never has been married. So I think her actions are a little inmature and self centered but understable in this situation imo.

Magneto: Now the elephant in the room and my favourite character, as his fan I feared what Kelly would do to with him in this context, I feared that he could become a caricature of himself and act like the "typical scorned lover" in those kinds of books were he´s the ex of the main couple, happily this didn´t happen, I liked that he´s still a friend of Rogue but curiously, I am happy they are not together anymore, from my pov, they only work in a context similar to the Age of Apocalypse, even if I didn´t like how they got togetheR , a context in which it makes sense for them both to become leaders, work together and have a not so pacific position as X-men and an "ends justifices the means" kind of philosophy, without it imo, they don´t really have much in common and their character issues show a lot more, that without talking about all the bad story between them as X-MEN foes.

But what I really liked about this is that Kelly seems to have made a nice scene that relates to one of their last moment together on X-men Legacy, Rogue dislikes Magneto´s general behavoir, and his means justify the ends pov, but precisely because of his darkness she isn´t so afraid to show him her own darkness, which I thik happened in this issue, is hard to show herself vulnerable to her husband about their relationship when they just got married, she´s bassically afraid of her powers scaring off Gambit and making him seek other women with less issues than her, Magneto can relate to this imo, because his own wife leave him when Anya died and he lost control of his powers killing off ppl, but this is completely different to the relationship Rogue and Gambit have, Magda and Max didn´t know he was even a mutant, while Rogue and Gambit have trust issues but they have known each other for years and they do seem to love each other. They just need to talk things out, which can be hard considering they prefer to deal with their issues on their own but they have to overcome this so their relationship can get better imo.

Well, that´s my general view of the issue.
    Hi Lucyinthesky,

Wanted to say thank you for taking the time to review. Was very interesting hearing your thoughts and perspective, and you definitely raised a few points I wasn't aware of. Much appreciated!

BANNED

You don't show love or respect by picking up the bad habits of your spouse. That is absurd. You keep trying to indirectly blame Gambit for Rogue's flaws. Rogue is her own person. Her flaws are of her (or more precisely the writers) own making and have nothing to do with Gambit.
    Your words are true for almost any relationship. I would agree with You (without any but) if they would be about different people.

For me Rogue and Gambit relationship is unique because of how their powers works(mostly Rogue powers obviously).
    what happenned when she absorbed his memories for the first time? or in Antartica?
    I don't see any reason why R+G should be different. Rogue should acts similar to Gambit because of R+G. right?

And sure maybe Gambit will revert back to his bad habits under another writer but as it currently stands, it is Rogue not Gambit that is not fully committed to this relationship. Trying to blame Gambit for that fact isn't going to change the current reality. If Rogue wasn't going to attempt to turn over a new leaf like Gambit apparently has then she shouldn't have accepted his proposal
    I agree completly with You.

The Gambit she read in R&G mini is committed so acting similarly to him would mean she should be committed. You are pretending like the Gambit whose experiences she felt is the Gambit from the 90s. He is not. He is a Gambit 100% committed to Rogue and willing to move forward with her without secrets. So no, her actions here have nothing to do with Gambit. It is her own insecurities and lack of commitment at fault.

The whole premise of the mini was that she absorbed his memories and in so doing was able to feel how much she meant to him so it is a farce to now claim she took on his negative attributes as if that were the case then she wouldn't have gotten back with him on the basis of those memories.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Hi Lucyinthesky,

Wanted to say thank you for taking the time to review. Was very interesting hearing your thoughts and perspective, and you definitely raised a few points I wasn't aware of. Much appreciated!
    No problem LegoLiz glad you liked it and that it added a different perspective, this review thread also helped me to see different povs.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

The Gambit she read in R&G mini is committed so acting similarly to him would mean she should be committed. You are pretending like the Gambit whose experiences she felt is the Gambit from the 90s. He is not. He is a Gambit 100% committed to Rogue and willing to move forward with her without secrets. So no, her actions here have nothing to do with Gambit. It is her own insecurities and lack of commitment at fault.

The whole premise of the mini was that she absorbed his memories and in so doing was able to feel how much she meant to him so it is a farce to now claim she took on his negative attributes as if that were the case then she wouldn't have gotten back with him on the basis of those memories.
    I don't believe in off panel development.
    That's a reason why i think that Gambit still have secrets.
    Comitted Gambit will prefer to solve his troubles without Rogue and she will also act this way.

Gambit after antartica was often saying that he loves her. His actions were usually different. I didn't read a story which would develop Gambit to change him.
    He was proud of his actions(even if they would be questionable). He probably still is.

You dont believe in off panel development but you have made up an entire scenario in your head of Gambit keeping secrets despite no on panel evidence of this at the moment?

The current canon is that the Gambit from the mini and this series is committed. There has been zero evidence of what you claim. It may happen in the future but on panel he is a different person because he experienced things through Rogue's eyes.

BANNED

You dont believe in off panel development but you have made up an entire scenario in your head of Gambit keeping secrets despite no on panel evidence of this at the moment?

The current canon is that the Gambit from the mini and this series is committed. There has been zero evidence of what you claim. It may happen in the future but on panel he is a different person because he experienced things through Rogue's eyes.
    There is on panel evidenca that he keeps secrets. His secrets weren't revelead in R+G right?

There is also on panel evidence that he is committed.

He can be committed and still has secrets. Why do You think that this is impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    There is on panel evidenca that he keeps secrets. His secrets weren't revelead in R+G right?

There is also on panel evidence that he is committed.

He can be committed and still has secrets. Why do You think that this is impossible?
    What secrets are you referring to? In the mini, Rogue saw his memories so there is no evidence he is still keeping secrets.

Has nothing to do with being impossible. Has to do with you inventing secrets that don't exist.

BANNED

What secrets are you referring to? In the mini, Rogue saw his memories so there is no evidence he is still keeping secrets.

Has nothing to do with being impossible. Has to do with you inventing secrets that don't exist.
    He could always hide anything he wanted. One of the reasons why we had antartica was: he had secrets even after she absorbed his memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    He could always hide anything he wanted. One of the reasons why we had antartica was: he had secrets even after she absorbed his memories.
    Yes he could but the point is he hasn't since the mini so you are making shit up. Just because Rogue keeping secrets doesn't mean you can invent secrets for Gambit to make Rogue look better.

Astonishing Member

I kinda don’t see what point you’re trying to make here , xel... you could go with the far easier and more logical angle of she wasn’t really keeping secret, because she was inviting him to a party where she knew her husband and a dozen of her friends were going to be, instead of an odd theory that she’s keeping secrets because gambit wants her too...that doesn’t even make a little bit of sense...