Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Right? RIGHT? I always read your posts Romy Ship and see that we are kindred spirits.

I totally get where you are coming (I was shocked too), but I personally feel in Kelly’s story Magneto (see? I can’t even say his real name…I REFUSE) is in the past and I’m excited we’re moving forward. And I do appreciate that Kelly respects the pasts – as much as we hate them, they are a part of the characters. There are so many times where I remember writers for Rogue and Gambit (there were a few of them) openly admitting that if the past didn’t work into their current storyline, they simply chose to ignore it. That always felt like a slap in the face to readers (especially if you were loyally following every book you could find the characters in). Kelly even explains her thought processes for questionable moments, which I appreciate (i.e. power inhibitor is not just for mutant powers as mandated by editors or Rogue doesn’t really speak French even though she told Northstar otherwise and the X-Men trading cards circa the 90s said Rogue was – because if she is fluent, why haven’t her and Gambit ever had a conversation in his native tongue after all these years? So I can accept it). I think Kelly had huge challenges given Rogue and Gambit’s messed up pasts/relationship and is finding ways to piece everything back together in a way that totally makes sense to me. In a way that makes sense of what the characters went through and what we had to endure. Think about where we were at this time last year! Just before the ROGUE & GAMBIT mini-series launched. Never in a MILLION years did any of us think the current storyline for Remy and Rogue was possible. Look back in the threads. Over and over posters were stumped on how to piece them back together. Even I was skeptical because it was too much (mountain heavy, right)? But for me, Kelly’s making it work.

I know it's not on her agenda any time soon (too many other big fish to fry), but if Kelly can make sense of Death for me...It's over. "I'd follow you anywhere Mr. Gump."
    You're my new friend, LegoLiz. By chance are you on Tumblr? lol.
    You have your continuity history down. When I came back into the fold this year after lord knows how long of a hiatus I delved back in and read a bunch of the old issues.

X/saksiv and Remydat over there who love to bicker with one another (Hi guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight I promise) are posters that definitely helped me in going back into history and yes... there's been a ton of horrible storylines for both of them. No matter how bad it got what was always underlined between Gambit and Rogue is that no matter how horrific the things they've done they have always forgiven each other (is it the healthiest relationship? Maybe not but this is comics and that's how it goes) and continued to be friends because they love one another that much. I'm under the impression that they are soulmates but that is my point of view and I don't expect others to share it. It's evident why I'm even here *looks at my ridiculous user name* but that was how excited I was when I stumbled on their marriage TWO days after it happened by utter happenstance this year. I came running here to help soak up a lot of the stuff I had missed and sort of now wish I had continued to miss *ahem, Legacy* but it's a part of their history and like Kelly made it clear, we can't ignore it.

I'm going to hope for their survival and I know remydat and others will continue to hope for the big D. I'm not referring to whitequeenemmafrosts version of the big "D" either but I'm sure Rogue will get her fill of that version.

I forget my point but anyway... nice to meet ya, Liz.
    Last edited by Romy Ship; 12-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Amazing Member

God forbid me fighting with anyone)))
    Thank you ROMY shippers, you help a lot!))

I supported the issue, and will... Kelly does hear my complains, she wrote them through Bellas dialog.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    You have your continuity history down. When I came back into the fold this year after lord knows how long of a hiatus I delved back in and read a bunch of the old issues.

X/saksiv and Remydat over there who love to bicker with one another (Hi guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight I promise) are posters that definitely helped me in going back into history and yes... there's been a ton of horrible storylines for both of them. No matter how bad it got what was always underlined between Gambit and Rogue is that no matter how horrific the things they've done they have always forgiven each other (is it the healthiest relationship? Maybe not but this is comics and that's how it goes) and continued to be friends because they love one another that much. I'm under the impression that they are soulmates but that is my point of view and I don't expect others to share it. It's evident why I'm even here *looks at my ridiculous user name* but that was how excited I was when I stumbled on their marriage TWO days after it happened by utter happenstance this year. I came running here to help soak up a lot of the stuff I had missed and sort of now wish I had continued to miss *ahem, Legacy* but it's a part of their history and like Kelly made it clear, we can't ignore it.

I'm going to hope for their survival and I know remydat and others will continue to hope for the big D. I'm not referring to whitequeenemmafrosts version of the big "D" either but I'm sure Rogue will get her fill of that version.

Well said everyone, I think we just have to realize that after all these years, there were editors who still cared while folks stopped...it was like why bother? Some hater asked why simply can't Remy do other stories with other gals and why can't Rogue do other stories with other men. I think it was really tried, Didn't we see Remy as ladies man in X Factor? (if this worked, how come I hadn't seen any praise?) Rogue with other men that would not even get a blip by New York Times? Did it work? No, cuz I hadn't seen the attention outside of Marvelverse the way Rogue/Remy does...and I'm talking about SyFy, NY Times, etc. Look at the stories we STILL have with the two that still has angst/sexiness/chem despite the supposed anvil of getting married...which at one point the editors proclaimed that marriage is a death knell of a superhero?

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Things I Liked:

Belle's new Marilyn Monroe-as-Margaery-Tyrell look
    Remy jumping off the roof

Things I Didn't Like

Jean-Luc's continued pirate look
    The inconsistent art, where the first panel we see of Belle makes her look like dear old Fontanelle (as was said upthread).
    Rogue's look, especially her weirdly-spaced eyes.
    I wanted more of the party and less of the fight.
    I'm tired of Rogue finishing fights.

Thing I Absolutely Hated:
    Rogue inviting Magneto and APOLOGIZING TO HIM FOR NOT BEING INVITED TO THE WEDDING. You do not owe your genocidal creepy grandpa ex an apology for anything least of all that. I'm honestly not enjoying Rogue--R&G showed me that she and Remy DO work well together. And I do want them to stick together for a lot of reasons, but she needs to get her **** together and quick. All I've been seeing is someone who's still seems ready to run and isn't ready for a committed, married status.

And I don't think she'll be Queen of the guilds. I don't think she'd want to get involved with guild BS.
    Last edited by CamilleMoineau; 12-13-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post

So nice to MEET YOU! And you came back two days after their marriage? YAY! Does that mean you missed out on Spasticatt posting here? I don't believe she posts here anymore. Goodness that lady was a beacon of light during the dark ROMY/RAMBIT days - and quite the artist. But she is on Tumblr. Unfortunately, no, I lurk on Tumblr but don't have an account. I'm too technologically challenged. I still can't figure out how to hide spoilers here (don't look at me, I'm hideous). I DO contemplate joining as I no longer have the ability to ask Kelly Thompson questions, but my account would only exist to do that.

And shhhh!!! I've always thought Rogue and Gambit were soulmates too! And who knows what the future will bring for them? I'm with you on staying on the optimistic side. But for now, I want to enjoy this gift we've been given that we never though would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Honestly, this is realistic. Gambit had no business proposing to her impulsively like that and she shouldnt have accepted. Everything happened too fast and they hadnt been back together long so eventually problems would crop back up. Makes sense and this is better than writing them as the perfect couple with no issues.
    Well this was my point when the marriage first happened. Always felt more like a gimmick than something that made sense and right now the story is proving me right.

I’m going to say here and now that I really appreciate remydat’s posts. Sure, you and I totally disagree on a lot of things (I am admittedly a ROMY/RAMBIT fan), but 1) you know your Gambit history (dude, even when I’m stumped) so kudos there and 2) most importantly, you always have Remy’s back. Maybe I’m not always aligned with your rationale, but you passionately always defend your boy and fight for him. And let’s be honest here, GAMBIT NEEDS THAT! The hell he has been through – the Trial of Gambit, abandoned in Antarctica, Green Lady thing, being blinded by his own freaking exploding card, Bizarre Love Triangle, DEATH (WTF?), Lili Penrose, trailing after Rogue and helping her time and time again and then she chooses Magneto over him (WHY ROGUE? WHY!?! I am still angry, but if Gambit’s forgiven her, I am willing to), disappearing from the books for years, him being the stupid and sleazy character who accidentally sleeps with the wife of the boss (he isn’t Barney or Ted from HIMYM) when you know Gambit would have been in the know of all the players from the get-go, and Lorna slapping Gambit for a kiss when we all know she was hot and heavy for just fake Remy during her bachelorette party (feel free to correct me on the last two All New X-Factor points as I was boycotting back then and only know from my online monitoring). To me, remydat is that one friend who will back you up no matter what and continue to fight for you. They saw what you went through and KNOW you are way better than that and will be suspicious of people who hurt you until they- be it love interests or writers in general - have proven their worth over a long period of time (maybe even never). The standards are way higher for them as it should be. Gambit doesn’t even feel threatened by Magneto (I personally think Rogue told Remy about her desire to talk with Magneto and he was fine with it because Remy knows where he stands with his new bride – who recently rejected Magneto’s proposal, but that is just me), but in real life, his friends would be VERY cautious and angry. Like forever.

So to remydat – you keep doing you. And I salute you!
    Lol, I salute you too. At the end of the day, all we can do is debate our points from our perspective and to each his/her own.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    I agree that this should happen if they would be in healthy relationship.
    For me they never were in healthy relationship.
    So it is in character for them to make wrong decisions.

I agree about Rogue.
    I have different opinion about XXM, Austen, Milligan runs. Gambit had a lot of secrets then. I also think that Gambit didn't had some off panel development. I think that he still has secrets.

I agree that Rogue made wrong decision. I simply think that this is in character.
    I never disputed the fact Gambit had secrets during those runs. I said he has not been keeping secrets from her since they reunited ie since the Romy mini and now this book. The point is Gambit appears to be taking his marriage vows seriously while Rogue is finding comfort in another man.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Yeah but what xmen showed up to the party tho?

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleMoineau View Post
    All I've been seeing is someone who's still seems ready to run and isn't ready for a committed, married status.
    This is exactly the problem isn't it. We saw in the mini that Gambit said he was tired of carrying all the baggage himself and yet here he is doing it again. When Rogue's powers flared, it was Gambit who had to tell Rogue he won't let her run and in this issue when they are suppose to be celebrating their new life together with their friends, she runs off to confide in her genocidal ex.

We are 11 issues into KT's version of Romy and it is just the same old Rogue never willing to fight for this relationship and the sucker for love Gambit carrying the baggage alone. Rogue has like a 12 year old's understanding of relationships. I keep waiting for the epiphany to happen and for Rogue to stop being so self absorbed and acting like she is the only one with problems but not looking like that will happen anytime soon.

And when the eventual divorce happens, this whole wishy washiness will be used by whatever writer to say, "See the continuity was always that Rogue wasn't 100% committed to Gambit." But alas, enjoy it while you can I guess. I just have seen these warning signs enough to realize this relationship is doomed as long as Rogue continues to be written this way.

So nice to MEET YOU! And you came back two days after their marriage? YAY! Does that mean you missed out on Spasticatt posting here? I don't believe she posts here anymore. Goodness that lady was a beacon of light during the dark ROMY/RAMBIT days - and quite the artist. But she is on Tumblr. Unfortunately, no, I lurk on Tumblr but don't have an account. I'm too technologically challenged. I still can't figure out how to hide spoilers here (don't look at me, I'm hideous). I DO contemplate joining as I no longer have the ability to ask Kelly Thompson questions, but my account would only exist to do that.

And shhhh!!! I've always thought Rogue and Gambit were soulmates too! And who knows what the future will bring for them? I'm with you on staying on the optimistic side. But for now, I want to enjoy this gift we've been given that we never though would ever happen.
    Great to meet you too. Yeah, I walked into a comic book store on the right day. Lured in by a kitty cat. Crazy because someone said to me it was like one of Remy's cats luring me in so I could pick up Gold #30 and instead of seeing Kitty and Piotr tie the knot it was my favorite X-Men couple I had long since given up on. Well I never gave up on them but more like I had given up on Marvel.

I read the old Romy appreciation thread and read through a ton of her posts. Spas' art is beautiful and her fanfic "In Between" is one of my favorites.

I'm with you on just enjoying the ride and heck no did I ever think this day would come. We finally got a break and no matter what I'm glad it's finally cannon that they are married. I hopped on the forums and Tumblr to keep tabs on what is happening with our newly weds. I still need to review MMX 6 on Tumblr but I've been waiting to digest it and thanks to you I think I'm finally there and feeling better about it. I'm certainly coming to the understanding I needed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

I think it is good that Rogue and Gambit do not have the perfect (re: boring) relationship. We do not want them to turn into Scott/Jean ala the 90's. I will get flack for that comment I'm sure. My biggest complaint so far in this book is the softer more lovey-dovey aspects of the relationship. Yeah they are married but we want them to retain their individual personalities. We want them to still be independent but come together to solves problems and save the day. I don't like it when Gambit calls Rogue "wife". I said it in the Scott/Jean thread and it rankled folks but I just find that so dismissive and reductive. I know married couples and they call each other by their names not by their marital titles! Just a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Overall, I find this book very enjoyable. I think KT is a great talent and we are lucky that we have a talented writer who loves and respects these characters!

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I love thread because we are all yard selling our relationship trauma and KT has low key written the Xbook of the year.

I liked the issue, I enjoy X-Men downtime stories. Would've loved to have seen more X-Men interaction. Iceman and Belladonna were great, I know Belle will be popping up later on, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of Bobby in this series.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I don't like it when Gambit calls Rogue "wife".
    He’s probably just as annoyed as you are that there’s no French equivalent to wife.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    He’s probably just as annoyed as you are that there’s no French equivalent to wife.
    He speaks Cajun.

Cajun < Quebec French < French

It is to French people what Cockney is to Brits or Texan is to Americans.