Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    [insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    He speaks Cajun.

Cajun < Quebec French < French

It is to French people what Cockney is to Brits or Texan is to Americans.
    No, he speaks French. The dialect is Cajun French. But it’s French.

“Texan” is an accent / dialect of English. Mostly English with a bunch of y’alls and something about terrible BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    No, he speaks French. The dialect is Cajun French. But it’s French.

“Texan” is an accent / dialect of English. Mostly English with a bunch of y’alls and something about terrible BBQ.
    Does Gambit, though? Even when he is speaking to his family members, he is speaking English. They don't even do the comic conceit of "Translated from the French."

I have always found that a bit curious.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Does Gambit, though? Even when he is speaking to his family members, he is speaking English. They don't even do the comic conceit of "Translated from the French."

I have always found that a bit curious.
    We know he can speak French, but you raise a good point. I did remember pausing in X-Men #33 when Gambit first meets Sabertooth and addresses him in French at first and is happy he can speak to him in English because "his French stinks, neh?" Or something like that. Blew it off that as perhaps some French is considered higher class than others rather than him not being fluent. And didn't Kelly say something along the lines that Gambit and Rogue - being more worldly and away from the cities they grew up in - have a grown a little out of their accents - maybe Rogue moreso than Remy?

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    We know he can speak French, but you raise a good point. I did remember pausing in X-Men #33 when Gambit first meets Sabertooth and addresses him in French at first and is happy he can speak to him in English because "his French stinks, neh?" Or something like that. Blew it off that as perhaps some French is considered higher class than others rather than him not being fluent.
    I just assumed he spoke more of a relaxed type of french that he picked up in NOLA so hence why his ‘French’ was terrible. Think like British English vs Californian English. California’s are INSANE with use of inflections and the about of “like” “so” injected into every sentences. I speak English but god help anyone learning it from me.

And more to Sabretooth & Gambit meeting, Gambit was 17 running into his, laughing at his own terrible French. After he was kicked out of NOLA, we know cannonly he did spend time in France and around Candra so he probably has improved to know more ‘proper French’ regardless if he uses it or not.
    Last edited by PeachFlavoredXanax; 12-14-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: UBB is hard, okay?

BANNED

Cajun/Creole French isn't just Louisiana a number of people have a mixed language in the Gulf states.

It's more to do with the writers than Gambit himself tho...give judgment where it's due

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I liked the issue but I think it would have been great to see a little more downtime between the X-men, specially Jean and Lorna who are supposed to be frineds but barely talk to each other anymore.

Rogue & Gambit: I liked that they are inviting friends to their home but like most newly wed couples, they still have a lot of stuff to manage between each other and they also have comunication issues, but this can be good if the author uses them to make them grow as characters, I like this better than them being almost one mind, like Scott and Jean used to be, to the point their characters are affected negatively because their relationship overcomes everything else in their lifes.

With that said, I agree with the complaints about Gambit not having much development in comparison to Rogue, imo, Kelly would do well to expand on Gambit´s side of the relationship, after we had Rogue´s feelings about her powers being worse than ever again. It would be nice to know more about him. I loved Belladona as a leader, and yes, she´s suposed to be here to make Rogue jealous but it will interesting if Kelly goes beyond that makes Bella a character in her own right.

Rogue: I know her powers always become an issue once she´s in a relationship, my guess is that the origin of her lack of control is related to relationship issues she has and not so much about not being capable of controling them, as a new wife you could understand she being nervious about her future, thinking everything is going to go badly once again, yes, it can be taken as inmature on her part, but once again, she never has been married. So I think her actions are a little inmature and self centered but understable in this situation imo.

Magneto: Now the elephant in the room and my favourite character, as his fan I feared what Kelly would do to with him in this context, I feared that he could become a caricature of himself and act like the "typical scorned lover" in those kinds of books were he´s the ex of the main couple, happily this didn´t happen, I liked that he´s still a friend of Rogue but curiously, I am happy they are not together anymore, from my pov, they only work in a context similar to the Age of Apocalypse, even if I didn´t like how they got togetheR , a context in which it makes sense for them both to become leaders, work together and have a not so pacific position as X-men and an "ends justifices the means" kind of philosophy, without it imo, they don´t really have much in common and their character issues show a lot more, that without talking about all the bad story between them as X-MEN foes.

But what I really liked about this is that Kelly seems to have made a nice scene that relates to one of their last moment together on X-men Legacy, Rogue dislikes Magneto´s general behavoir, and his means justify the ends pov, but precisely because of his darkness she isn´t so afraid to show him her own darkness, which I thik happened in this issue, is hard to show herself vulnerable to her husband about their relationship when they just got married, she´s bassically afraid of her powers scaring off Gambit and making him seek other women with less issues than her, Magneto can relate to this imo, because his own wife leave him when Anya died and he lost control of his powers killing off ppl, but this is completely different to the relationship Rogue and Gambit have, Magda and Max didn´t know he was even a mutant, while Rogue and Gambit have trust issues but they have known each other for years and they do seem to love each other. They just need to talk things out, which can be hard considering they prefer to deal with their issues on their own but they have to overcome this so their relationship can get better imo.

Well, that´s my general view of the issue.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-20-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lucyinthesky. I wasn't a big fan of the Rogue/Magneto scene, but your POV kind of changed my mind. Definitely gives me more to think about for sure
    Make Good Art

Rogue having power issues and not trusting Gambit enough to share is a cool and interesting story . . . in the 90s.

We already went through Rogue's drama in thr mini so why we continue to revisit this with her over and over is beyond me.

How does stuff like this still interest people. My grandkids will pick up a comic 40 years from now and Rogue will still be crying about her powers and her relationship. Hopefully by then Gambit will have moved his dumb ass on or died and been put out of his misery.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Thanks Sandmans_Raven I am glad you liked it
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Rogue having power issues and not trusting Gambit enough to share is a cool and interesting story . . . in the 90s.

We already went through Rogue's drama in thr mini so why we continue to revisit this with her over and over is beyond me.

How does stuff like this still interest people. My grandkids will pick up a comic 40 years from now and Rogue will still be crying about her powers and her relationship. Hopefully by then Gambit will have moved his dumb ass on or died and been put out of his misery.
    Dude, you're making me feel a little embarrassed for defending some of your other posts (more legitimate posts) earlier. While you make some sense, your last paragraph is completely un-necessary and doesn't contribute anything to this review thread. If you hate the comic that much then don't read it, if I hated it that much I wouldn't even waste my time in this thread. I don't like cyclops at all so I don't go into the cyclops thread at all.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I liked the issue but I think it would have been great to see a little more downtime between the X-men, specially Jean and Lorna who are supposed to be frineds but barely talk to each other anymore.

Rogue & Gambit: I liked that they are inviting friends to their home but like most newly wed couples, they still have a lot of stuff to manage between each other and they also have comunication issues, but this can be good if the author uses them to make them grow as characters, I like this better than them being almost one mind, like Scott and Jean used to be, to the point their characters are affected negatively because their relationship overcomes everything else in their lifes.

With that said, I agree with the complaints about Gambit not having much development in comparison to Rogue, imo, Kelly would do well to expand on Gambit´s side of the relationship, after we had Rogue´s feelings about her powers being worse than ever again. It would be nice to know more about him. I loved Belladona as a leader, and yes, she´s suposed to be here to make Rogue jealous but it will interesting if Kelly goes beyond that makes Bella a character in her own right.

Rogue: I know her powers always become an issue once she´s in a relationship, my guess is that the origin of her lack of control is related to relationship issues she has and not so much about not being capable of controling them, as a new wife you could understand she being nervious about her future, thinking everything is going to go badly once again, yes, it can be taken as inmature on her part, but once again, she never has been married. So I think her actions are a little inmature and self centered but understable in this situation imo.

Magneto: Now the elephant in the room and my favourite character, as his fan I feared what Kelly would do to with him in this context, I feared that he could become a caricature of himself and act like the "typical scorned lover" in those kinds of books were he´s the ex of the main couple, happily this didn´t happen, I liked that he´s still a friend of Rogue but curiously, I am happy they are not together anymore, from my pov, they only work in a context similar to the Age of Apocalypse, even if I didn´t like how they got togetheR , a context in which it makes sense for them both to become leaders, work together and have a not so pacific position as X-men and an "ends justifices the means" kind of philosophy, without it imo, they don´t really have much in common and their character issues show a lot more, that without talking about all the bad story between them as X-MEN foes.

But what I really liked about this is that Kelly seems to have made a nice scene that relates to one of their last moment together on X-men Legacy, Rogue dislikes Magneto´s general behavoir, and his means justify the ends pov, but precisely because of his darkness she isn´t so afraid to show him her own darkness, which I thik happened in this issue, is hard to show herself vulnerable to her husband about their relationship when they just got married, she´s bassically afraid of her powers scaring off Gambit and making him seek other women with less issues than her, Magneto can relate to this imo, because his own wife leave him when Anya died and he lost control of his powers killing off ppl, but this is completely different to the relationship Rogue and Gambit have, Magda and Max didn´t know he was even a mutant, while Rogue and Gambit have trust issues but they have known each other for years and they do seem to love each other. They just need to talk things out, which can be hard considering they prefer to deal with their issues on their own but they have to overcome this so their relationship can get better imo.

Very interesting insight, good post.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post

This is a pretty great post

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    Dude, you're making me feel a little embarrassed for defending some of your other posts (more legitimate posts) earlier. While you make some sense, your last paragraph is completely un-necessary and doesn't contribute anything to this review thread. If you hate the comic that much then don't read it, if I hated it that much I wouldn't even waste my time in this thread. I don't like cyclops at all so I don't go into the cyclops thread at all.
    What did I lie about? Have we not been reading about her powers and relationship issues for decades?

Like what was the point of the mini where Rogue felt things from Gambit's perspective if she is still going to fall back into the same repetitive storyline? It is like she has learned nothing from the mini.

What more does Gambit have to do for Rogue to confide in him? She felt how he felt about her. Dude became Death because he loved her and the X-men. Dude joined Sinister to save her. If she still hasn't gotten it through her thick skull that he isn't going anywhere then there is no hope for them. You can't keep playig trust issue card when Rogue saw all those memories through Gambit's eyes.

Nothing the dude does is ever good enough for her to just be happy with him. But all Mags had to do is stop murdering people for half a second and she is head over heels for him.

I would be happy to read something else. Let me know what other books Gambit is in. Until then I am stuck reading about him and a wife that doesnt deserve him.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-20-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Thanks Mateo3000 and Rogued

Folks, enough with the personal crap. If you're not here to talk about the issue move along.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)