Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Do you prefer Emma's "they will always hate us" speech?
    It's a very pessimistic outlook, but I also think it's realistic. But I guess I should say it also depends on what kind of stories you want to tell and your audience wants to read. People like optimism in their stories and people DEFINITELY like optimism in their superhero stories! Hell, Coates' own comics are a lot more optimistic than his essays and books.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hmmm this is all very interesting. I want to check out that book now that you mentioned it but your points are one I never thought of until you mentioned them. so let me ask you this, is it wrong that this story (considering your main point is true) is written in a way to make white people feel good? is that a bad thing and if so why?
    It's fine and it's not a bad thing. It just rubs me the wrong way when a thinkpiece refers to this book as "daring" for being politically "relevant" when all Taylor does is copy-paste the news story of the day into a comic (how quickly will that Cambridge Analytica analogy get dated?) and then has Jean make the same sappy speech that X-Men have been making since God Loves, Man Kills (1982) in each issue.

BANNED

Do you prefer Emma's "they will always hate us" speech?
    I prefer that.That's truth.It's realistic.Mutants are next step of evolution.Obviously humans,well not all of them will hate the existence of mutants.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I mostly enjoyed this series, but this ending was pretty weak. As others have pointed out, the underlying idea that any instance of bigotry can be solved through empathy and communication, while pleasingly idealistic, is flawed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I mostly enjoyed this series, but this ending was pretty weak. As others have pointed out, the underlying idea that any instance of bigotry can be solved through empathy and communication, while pleasingly idealistic, is flawed.
    To me it seemed she was trying to do the same thing she did in Poland. Show the other side there isn't anything to fear.

It's a step up from Xavier just wanting to talk it out...Jean's using her powers in a way that tries to help others have some empathy. She isn't forcing people to think a different way she's adding another level to the discussion.

BANNED

I admit that I'd be swayed by the book's message when I was younger and more optimistic but my country elected a man who openly made racist remarks (comparing black people and natives to cattle), defended the fact that the military gov tortured people and said gay people are like that bc their parents didn't hit them enough in childhood. And he he still was elected with everyone knowing that.

People are bad and prejudiced a lot, if not most of the times. And in a lot of cases, trying to teach them empathy is a waste BC they don't think that's necessary lol

BANNED

To me it seemed she was trying to do the same thing she did in Poland. Show the other side there isn't anything to fear.

It's a step up from Xavier just wanting to talk it out...Jean's using her powers in a way that tries to help others have some empathy. She isn't forcing people to think a different way she's adding another level to the discussion.
    I can give you poland?
    But nova??I don't think so.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Overall this series was great to showcase Jean's return.....
    and that was about it for me. I'm disappointed in the lack of a team feel throughout the series. There were moments throughout, especially towards the end, but I dislike an advertised team book that is really just all about one character. (see X-Men Pyrite's use of Kitty Pryde). All battles were underwhelming and seemingly resolved in a manor making them feel like they weren't really a threat to begin with. I feel like in some ways what should have been a fastball pitched to Jean testing her ability to hit it at the plate ended up being an underhanded lob for her to hit, if not a tee ball stand.

Cassandra Nova also had a journey, as she has now officially cemented herself as an official X-Villain: a villain of the X-Men who, when first introduced was such a threat that drastic measures were taken to stop them, but in secondary or tertiary appearances have been "problematic" at most for the X-Men to defeat. See Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, and Stryfe for other examples.

Cassandra Nova was handled poorly. Some of what she COULD have accomplished would have been great. But she essentially allowed jean to call the shots and made her moves from there.

This issue was good for me, as it showcased a lot of characters doing things to try and resolve the problem. I think we all got really excited Jean was back and getting her own team, and like Astonishing, realized the book wasn't going to meet the hype.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Emma's Frost's speech was exquisite.

It's truth and also very Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Overall this series was great to showcase Jean's return.....
    and that was about it for me. I'm disappointed in the lack of a team feel throughout the series. There were moments throughout, especially towards the end, but I dislike an advertised team book that is really just all about one character. (see X-Men Pyrite's use of Kitty Pryde). All battles were underwhelming and seemingly resolved in a manor making them feel like they weren't really a threat to begin with. I feel like in some ways what should have been a fastball pitched to Jean testing her ability to hit it at the plate ended up being an underhanded lob for her to hit, if not a tee ball stand.

Cassandra Nova also had a journey, as she has now officially cemented herself as an official X-Villain: a villain of the X-Men who, when first introduced was such a threat that drastic measures were taken to stop them, but in secondary or tertiary appearances have been "problematic" at most for the X-Men to defeat. See Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, and Stryfe for other examples.

Cassandra Nova was handled poorly. Some of what she COULD have accomplished would have been great. But she essentially allowed jean to call the shots and made her moves from there.

This issue was good for me, as it showcased a lot of characters doing things to try and resolve the problem. I think we all got really excited Jean was back and getting her own team, and like Astonishing, realized the book wasn't going to meet the hype.
    I would add Exodus and Nimrod/Bastion to that list.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Can't take Jean's speech seriously when the world's population forgot it after their next bowel movement.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Can't take Jean's speech seriously when the world's population forgot it after their next bowel movement.
    That's the crux of it all.
    A pretty, hopeful sentiment but at the end of 11 issues nothing is actually changed other than Cassie now has "feelings" (and we'll see how long that lasts). There's no pay out. After 11 issues, you'd expect something of note to build on.

what Emma speech are people going on about?

Mighty Member

This is some shounen jump shit.

Seriously though: what happened to Forge? They couldn't include one panel of Forge being freed? Ideally, it would have been a page with Storm's reaction. At the very least, they should have shown him in the background at the UN since everyone else was there.

The Avengers added nothing to the story. Storm could have easily taken Thor's place and she actually has ties to both Gentle and Gambit to make their rescue more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    This is some shounen jump shit.
    Oh lord no. You haven't seen how deep that rabbit hole goes.

On their worst day Red and even Blue top the dreck Kishimoto was putting out for the last two years of Naruto. The direness that was IvX is a gold standard in writing compared to the last three years of Kubo's diarrhea with a pen that was Bleach post Aizen.