Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Lightbulb X-Men Red #11 review *spoilers*

Starts off as in the preview with an army of Magneto helmets versus an army of angry Cassandra Nova Groupies.

Cassandra goes and decides to make the helicarrier she is controlling blow up nuclear style, Gambit as an expert on explosions says this will be bad.

Gentle goes to plug up the leak, Thor is away doing other stuff at the time.

Cassandra takes off Jeans Magneto helmet and starts doing her thing, this leads to Jean going cannonball at her which makes a nice visual.

The rest of the team initially decide to throw the helicarrier in the ocean forgetting the King of the Ocean is in ear shot. The alternate plan is for Gambit to charge it up.

Cassandra has Jean on the ground in a non sexy way and gets tagged by X-23. This turns out to be a distraction for Nightcrawler to port in everyones loveable side kick Honey Badger to literally stick her hand in Cassandras head, which once again makes a nice visual.

Thor rescues Gentle before he disintegrates and takes him and Gambit off the craft before it explodes.

Cassandra disregards the hand in her head until Jean points out Honey Badger was holding a reprogrammed nanite and that's now inside her. This nanite gives Cassandra the gift of Empathy and she is sad.

It ends with Jean giving a speech about everyone loving each other.

I liked the series overall, the pacing was a bit slow but I found each issue interesting enough by itself. Taylor didn't do a great job of showcasing the teams individual strengths but reminds us that a nanite in the head is worth more than in the hand. Also loves conquers all something something.

BANNED

Centrist drivel.

A bit mushy at the end but Gambit had a pretty cool moment so ended on a good note for me.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Good. This series is over. Let's just move on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Centrist drivel.
    Agreed.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The best part was Jean's speech at the end.

I really prefer Nova as a irredeemable monster. Trying to humanize or redeem her is not right, it makes her less interesting. She is better as a pure evil schemer rather than a bad copy of xavier.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 12-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Yeah this was...okay. With most of the team being ignored until now this issue felt jumbled with how many people where there with Taylor trying to find something for eveyone to do.

Overall score for Red: 6/10, great creative team with a not so great execution, too many characters with most of the plot devoted to usually the same 3 over and over left the rest feeling like background. The action was very lacking as well, every battle was cut short and few characters got 1 or so interesting power displays. Even though we knew it was going to end here it still feels like there was a hard cut, no time to go over what happened or get the team's last thoughts out, just feels like the X-Office is like "Next!" with questions left unanswered without a second glance. Honestly would've liked one last issue to wrap up like Gold and Blue did.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The best part was Jean's speech at the end.

I really prefer Nova as a irredeemable monster. Trying to humanize or redeem her is not right, it makes her less interesting. She is better as pure evil than a bad copy of xavier.
    Plus, we already did this in GM's New X-Men run, when she was made into Ernst (via Stuff), and eventually reemerged as a hero in 'Here Comes Tomorrow'. If that rehabilitation-in-progress has somehow been undone, the card's already been played - burn the card. Do something new and different.

Poor showing for Cassandra. At least there's nothing left from Morrison's run to be ruined.

I mean I guess...

I really loved the end.

Too bad it will be ignored

Just when I thought Taylor possibly couldn't top "Magneto Helmets", he makes Jean defeat Cass by literally giving her empathy. This book. It has given us such gems as "Phoenix, one of the most powerful entities in the whole Marvel universe, was holding Jean back." and defeating nanobot swarms with literal Internet hate comments.

God, this book outdid itself in disappointing me.

And my [hopefully] last obligatory "Shut up, Gabby!" comment.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I don't know how I really fell about this issue. I thought the cast was kind of bloated. There was too much going on that you really couldn't absorb all that was going on with the issue. However, I do appreciate what Taylor was trying to do with Cassandra by way of making her empathize with those she called so much pain. Though I thought this was nice and appreciated the moment it unfortunately all fell flat for me and came off as lame. Overall I thought the whole series was very lackluster and didn't really do what I think taylor was hoping to do with Jean returning to the franchise.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Well, this was underwhelming. I'll miss this book but the portrayal of Nova overall was ridiculous. And the centrist message in the end was just comical.

Also, congratulations to Jean for basically doing a more palatable version of the "don't call me the m-word, call me Alex" speech. It's all about presentation after all.

It's sad cause Jean's speech was really nice but considering this is ending and we already have stories that happen after it, it feels like nothing was accomplished....

This felt very rushed.

And lol Jean's words at the end do have a lot in common with Havok's "call me Alex" bullshit and Guggenkitty's "not mutants, but heroes" speech.