Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    BANNED

The book has been acknowledged as one of the best X-comics in years since it started. Of course it's on some lists.

I would have given it high marks even if it had been a bad series just because of the way it angered extremists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I honestly feel like Red ended up a bit like Bendis's run. At the beginning it felt really new and exciting but by the end it was kinda "Yeah, well, that's it...".
    The first issue was exciting. There were a few narrative hiccups, but those could've been addressed later - the real hook was seeing that Cassandra was the primary antagonist and that Jean had no clue. Cassandra gets the better of you when you know she's coming, what would Jean do without knowing? It was an interesting concept that was let down in the subsequent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    The book has been acknowledged as one of the best X-comics in years since it started. Of course it's on some lists.

I would have given it high marks even if it had been a bad series just because of the way it angered extremists.
    Being acknowledged as one of the best in recent years is a pretty low bar to reach.

And that's just poor rationale, a bad book is a bad book.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    Sasuke won’t apologise tho ... he’s a scum.
    Apologize for what? He's like the one good character in that series, along with Team Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Actually he gave a half-hearted "sorry" to her when Sasuke and Orochimaru revived the four Hokages, and she immediately went all yogurt panties on the spot. So not a lot of convincing needed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Being acknowledged as one of the best in recent years is a pretty low bar to reach.

Let's see you do better lmao. And no one said it was the best book ever anyway, although it was the best thing since sliced...Gillen.

Lastly, it is always worth it to not ignore the crazies. And when authors do take it upon themselves to point out evil, they should be acknowledged because not everybody does.

Most X-books in recent years have sucked so theres that. All New Wolverine, Bunn's Uncanny and Blue have been the only good ones since SW IMO. I did not like the books that existed during the T-cloud era and the ResurrXion books were largely a disappointment. Red and the current X-23 have been without a doubt the standouts of this year and by default last few years bc we've had so many bad ones

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Let's see you do better lmao. And no one said it was the best book ever anyway, although it was the best thing since sliced...Gillen.

Lastly, it is always worth it to not ignore the crazies. And when authors do take it upon themselves to point out evil, they should be acknowledged because not everybody does.
    Full Disclosure: I haven't kept up with the book past the first issue (which I liked).

What extremists did this book anger? What crazies and evils did it point out?

BTW, as an aspiring creative, the whole 'let's see you do better' has never been a valid argument and has always been a bit of a cheap shot.

I almost always will side with artists over critics, and pull for them to succeed. But if we start shielding artists of all criticism, they'll never grow and adapt.
    Artistic expression is a bit of a two-way street, so if your message is being misunderstood by your core audience, then you should find the valid criticisms and make the necessary adjustments.

-----

Apologize for what? He's like the one good character in that series, along with Team Guy.

"Karin...If you're slow enough to get taken hostage, you're of no use to me." -Sasuke (to Karin when she was being used as a meat shield by Danzo)

He then begins to strike through Karin to get to Danzo.

I understand the ninja world is a harsh one, and that Sasuke is generally a bit aloof, but his treatment of Karin was always a bit too cavalier / cruel.
    He knew of her feelings, used them to manipulate her (the way ninjas do to enemies, not teammates), used her, and was ready to throw her away all the while feeling (mostly) nothing.

It wasn't a good look.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Full Disclosure: I haven't kept up with the book past the first issue (which I liked).

What extremists did this book anger? What crazies and evils did it point out?

BTW, as an aspiring creative, the whole 'let's see you do better' has never been a valid argument and has always been a bit of a cheap shot.

I almost always will side with artists over critics, and pull for them to succeed. But if we start shielding artists of all criticism, they'll never grow and adapt.
    Artistic expression is a bit of a two-way street, so if your message is being misunderstood by your core audience, then you should find the valid criticisms and make the necessary adjustments.

-----

"Karin...If you're slow enough to get taken hostage, you're of no use to me." -Sasuke (to Karin when she was being used as a meat shield by Danzo)

I understand the ninja world is a harsh one, and that Sasuke is generally a bit aloof, but his treatment of Karin was always a bit too cavalier / cruel.
    He knew of her feelings, used them to manipulate her (the way ninjas do to enemies, not teammates), used her, and was ready to throw her away all the while feeling (mostly) nothing.

It wasn't a good look.
    No one was shielding anyone from criticism and "well people only say its one of the good recent books" is a nonsense comment.

It aggroed right-wing extremists on the internet, which was a cherry on top of the great X-comic sundae.

I don't need to be a writer or write a better story than Red to critique it.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Most X-books in recent years have sucked so theres that. All New Wolverine, Bunn's Uncanny and Blue have been the only good ones since SW IMO. I did not like the books that existed during the T-cloud era and the ResurrXion books were largely a disappointment. Red and the current X-23 have been without a doubt the standouts of this year and by default last few years bc we've had so many bad ones
    Maybe it is the best X-book in recent years but I just don't think it's that good.

It wasn't a good look.
    Yeah, he was outta his mind, but he did care about his team (both iterations). Still wrong of him to take such a fast bad turn, but I still found him to be better than a vast majority of the other characters.

I don't need to be a writer or write a better story than Red to critique it.

Maybe it is the best X-book in recent years but I just don't think it's that good.

Yeah, he was outta his mind, but he did care about his team (both iterations). Still wrong of him to take such a fast bad turn, but I still found him to be better than a vast majority of the other characters.
    Eh, Sasuke's characterization was so schizophrenic that it was hard to take him seriously, especially after Itachi's death. I feel like him talking to the Four Hokages was more of an audience surrogate so Sasuke could remember what the hell his actual motivation was.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Eh, Sasuke's characterization was so schizophrenic that it was hard to take him seriously, especially after Itachi's death. I feel like him talking to the Four Hokages was more of an audience surrogate so Sasuke could remember what the hell his actual motivation was.
    Yeah.

If my top complaint is Sakura's writing and development, my second would be Sasuke's.

He has very good reasons for doing what he did - reasons the audience can infer.
    But sometimes you have to really illustrate and be implicit in spelling things out.

A lot of fans still hate Sasuke because they either don't understand his choices or can't connect to why he made them.
    And I can't say I blame them. There were some definite opportunities in the storytelling.

No one was shielding anyone from criticism and "well people only say its one of the good recent books" is a nonsense comment.

It aggroed right-wing extremists on the internet, which was a cherry on top of the great X-comic sundae.
    That, already, is a better comment than "Let's see you do better."
    It gives me a nebulous preview of your views and where you might stand (i.e. most people think the new books suck, but I enjoy them).
    It's still a bit standoffish, but it's a better gateway to a more substantial convo.

I understand that in these boards, a little 'cattiness' and quipping is to be expected.
    Hell, you could say it's half the fun - I've done it myself.

But, in the long run, I don't think it helps us.
    It tends to put people on the defensive and further entrenches them into their positions.
    So you get a lot straw men, hyperbole, circular convos that we have over and over.

Unless you're particularly good at throwing shade, it can be a bit boring.

(BTW, that diatribe wasn't directed at you. Just more of a general rant)
    ---

Anyway, was the whole right-wing extremist reaction...a thing? Like, was there really a big hub-bub?
    Or was it more like a couple of people threw some angry tweets?

Sorry if this is putting you on the spot - I just like it when comics cause a commotion.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Hombres X Rojo is like when you burn the underside of a pancake and then spend 12 minutes trying to salvage it with syrup and fruits and the final result kinda tastes like that good stuff from IHOP you ate in 2001 but then before you can even see what more than 20% of this thing's potential is, you parents come thru with a battering ram and a SWAT unit to get you your favorite childhood sugary cereal.

Yeah.

If my top complaint is Sakura's writing and development, my second would be Sasuke's.

He has very good reasons for doing what he did - reasons the audience can infer.
    But sometimes you have to really illustrate and be implicit in spelling things out.

A lot of fans still hate Sasuke because they either don't understand his choices or can't connect to why he made them.
    And I can't say I blame them. There were some definite opportunities in the storytelling.
    I'll agree that there was a bit much left to be inferred by the reader, but it was enough for me personally and I find his greater actions understandable. By the end of the series, he was the only character I was actively invested in - the "good guys" and their rationale was crud and only Team Guy was likable. As far as I'm concerned, he should have destroyed the system.

Anyway, was the whole right-wing extremist reaction...a thing? Like, was there really a big hub-bub?
    Or was it more like a couple of people threw some angry tweets?

Sorry if this is putting you on the spot - I just like it when comics cause a commotion.
    I was wondering this as well.

BANNED

Both of you are well aware of the "grrrrrrr sjws" crying about this book.

And even if you weren't, where on the internet are the right-wing angry reactions to comics usually posted? lol

BANNED

This series is damn boring and forgettable, glad it's ending