Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

It's not centrist, it's very left leaning

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    haha I love this!

A chance, but she'd likely lose.

Cassandra wasn't able to rip Jean apart telekinetically, but it does seem like Cassie won the tk battle overall. However, it also seemed like it was all part of Jean's plan so it is hard to say. Generally, I think major bad guys should have more raw power than the good guys otherwise they wouldn't be much of a threat.
    I would agree here after they collided jean was on the ground. I did like that it took the team working together to take Cassandra out ultimately.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Blue is probably better than Red, would definitely be much better than Red if it didn't go through an utter editorial reaming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    It's not centrist, it's very left leaning
    It really isn't. The political story beats mainly act to make white people feel good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Gillen's book was in 2012 and the last great X-men book IMO. Bendis' books had potential but went downhill towards the end. Im not really counting the satelite titles in that.Red was better than Gold, Blue, Astonishing, Extraodinary X-men vol 3 and 4, and All New X-Men v2. Bunn's UXM had potential to be great but IvX and editorial cut it short so alot of stuff he set up never materialized into a finished product. Taylor got to tell his story, which is something Bunn wasnt givevn the opportunity to do
    So last four years or so?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It really isn't. The political story beats mainly act to make white people feel good.
    Peace, tolerance, and empathy aren't a racial 'beat' limited to one race.

oooh why do you say that?? please go on.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

If a maxi-series about an emaciated Fruit Roll-Up giving speeches and chilling underwater with some other flavors while turning genocidal interdimensional god parasites into jobbers through the power of feewings is the best X-Team book of the last four years, then we are both in hell and still dying.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Also Whedon's Astonishing had the X-Men defeat the Super Sentinel that destroyed Genosha by giving it the ability to feel empathy and guilt.
    lolllllllll, oh man. Forgot about this!

Keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    If a maxi-series about an emaciated Fruit Roll-Up giving speeches and chilling underwater with some other flavors while turning genocidal interdimensional god parasites into jobbers through the power of feewings is the best X-Team book of the last four years, then we are both in hell and still dying.
    This take is: Good.

BANNED

The Ending was nice I liked the diologue at the end.
    I liked Gambit and Thor's conversation was pretty funny.
    NICE feat for Gentle WOW...

This issue wasn't bad at all as well. I enjoyed this one.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

A good conclusion with some interesting action sequences but at the end of the day, I don't think I'll look back on this series as anything other than fun. Not sure if it quite reached the heights that Tom Taylor wanted it to. The whole arc felt a bit emotionless to me.

And let's talk about Cassandra... There's not a villain I'm less interested in seeing humanized than Cassandra Nova. Also, for a book that was so focused on ethics and humanity, they defeat the villain by planting a nano-sentinel in her brain so she feels bad for mutants... Not only is it not satisfying but don't the X-Men usually preach against this kind of stuff? What's the difference between this and going around and mind controlling super villains to change their ways?
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

oooh why do you say that?? please go on.
    It's difficult to explain. Maybe it's because I read Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me earlier this week. But both the early story beats of the nano-sentinels making people racist (which insinuates that people can't become racist all on their own and gives them an out) and the empty rhetoric of Jean's speeches which talks about unity and coming together bla bla bla which is a very Aaron Sorkin way of explaining the world where a good argument can convince the opposite side, the BIGOTS, that, in fact, bigotry is wrong! I 'unno, Tycon can probably explain it better. For all its faults, Bendis' Cyclops was a lot more realistic about these things, since he was aware that all institutions are suspect.

(And then there's the obvious fact that Jean Grey, a WASP who never really endured anti-mutant bigotry in the same way even her fellow white X-Men did, is the mouthpiece for this narrative of unity, but that is a problem the largely white X-Men suffer from in general)

The lack of struggle, the racism being artificially caused, the easy fix and the speeches which had nothing to do with that. It's easy to talk about unity etc when you haven't been tested. A machine is causing the hate. Everyone is susceptible. Jean never been tested. Machines destroyed hate is stopped. People are excused

As for centrism. The internet trolls angle Taylor took that from were centrist talking points. Limousine liberal talking points. Addressing the internet as fake news but ommiting the mainstream media from culpability is centrist. Regulating the internet to confirm with mainstream establishment talking points is centrist and authoritarianism
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.

BANNED

Do you prefer Emma's "they will always hate us" speech?

It's difficult to explain. Maybe it's because I read Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me earlier this week. But both the early story beats of the nano-sentinels making people racist (which insinuates that people can't become racist all on their own and gives them an out) and the empty rhetoric of Jean's speeches which talks about unity and coming together bla bla bla which is a very Aaron Sorkin way of explaining the world where a good argument can convince the opposite side, the BIGOTS, that, in fact, bigotry is wrong! I 'unno, Tycon can probably explain it better. For all its faults, Bendis' Cyclops was a lot more realistic about these things, since he was aware that all institutions are suspect.

(And then there's the obvious fact that Jean Grey, a WASP who never really endured anti-mutant bigotry in the same way even her fellow white X-Men did, is the mouthpiece for this narrative of unity, but that is a problem the largely white X-Men suffer from in general)
    hmmm this is all very interesting. I want to check out that book now that you mentioned it but your points are one I never thought of until you mentioned them. so let me ask you this, is it wrong that this story (considering your main point is true) is written in a way to make white people feel good? is that a bad thing and if so why?