Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Uncanny X-Men #5 (spoilers/discussion)

Here we are again, with week five of the UXM relaunch. We're at the halfway point, folks.

This is the second week in a row for decent forward momentum on the plot, we got a nice moment of Lorna flexing some muscle, and we got some really lovely art. But man, that confrontation between Psylocke and Angel was not a good note to end this chapter on. It's half because we get a lot of "tell, don't show" with Warren and his new state of peace (which has been around for all of twenty seconds anyway), and half because we're supposed to believe that his going all Archangel is REALLY, REALLY BAD THIS TIME, OK!?! That might have had some impact if Angel'd had a status quo that lasted for more than one story arc sometime over the last few years, but he hasn't, and most of them have been some variation of him being mindfucked or going over to the dark side anyway. This is not new or exciting ground.

So overall good installment with a weak cliff-hanger.

I liked Polaris being sassy and Archangel being angry. I thought it was a very quick read, first issue I found overly slow.

Storm asked Lorna what Magneto was doing. Wonder how long this thread will be based on that line

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    I liked Polaris being sassy and Archangel being angry. I thought it was a very quick read, first issue I found overly slow.
    The reading was really fast. The pages on island felt like filler

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Overall I thought the issue was decent and didn't see any real issues other than the story didn't really go anywhere. There was a lot happening but the story didn't really go anywhere. I checked out a long time ago but i hope for those still interested in the book that it picks up next week.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

These past two issues were filler, but I'm still enjoying Uncanny, and thought this issue was a step up from the last one. Loved the ending with Polaris/Magneto, and Psylocke/Angel. It was nice to get some nice character moments from Storm's team.

Extraordinary Member

So Beast has been holding on to the mutant vaccine and storing it in a beer fridge. Anyone think the thief is important to this story? Or who stole it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Storm asked Lorna what Magneto was doing. Wonder how long this thread will be based on that line
    You just jinxed it. Cue the Claremont pages where Storm is shown to know Erik is scratching his back while they're on opposing sides of the globe.

Also, this issue was weak and the Archangel at the end was straight up stupid. My expectations get lower and lower.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    So Beast has been holding on to the mutant vaccine and storing it in a beer fridge. Anyone think the thief is important to this story? Or who stole it?
    It probably is important to the story I'm sure; maybe it's the key to beating Xman. To your question about who stole it maybe it's cable jr or hope?

also what is the mutant vaccine for again? has this been explained?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Polaris tete-a-tete with Magento definitely the best part. Everything else kind of paint by numbers.

Another filler issue

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    It probably is important to the story I'm sure; maybe it's the key to beating Xman. To your question about who stole it maybe it's cable jr or hope?

also what is the mutant vaccine for again? has this been explained?
    It was said that it would prevent the X gene from happening but I don't think they said it would cure someone that already has the X gene

First, they end it with Xavier Institute blowing up. Then, with Glob and Madrox talking. Now, with Arachangel losing control again. These aren't creative and even decent cliffhangers, they're boring. This whole series is boring.

BANNED

Why did people like the Polaris/Magneto scene? It was extremely impersonal and the writers threw away the possibility (again) of giving emotional resonance to this empty event. If Polaris hadn't referred to Mags as "father", you could replace her with Storm and the scene would go exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    Another filler issue
    yup this is what it read to me as too.

Quote Originally Posted by greyspawn View Post
    It was said that it would prevent the X gene from happening but I don't think they said it would cure someone that already has the X gene
    oh ok thank you! i guess that won't help then against Xmen unless someone goes back in time or something like that.