Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spider-Man: Life Story By Chip Zdarsky & Mark Bagley

In 1962, the world watched as teenager Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider…allowing him to become the Amazing Spider-Man! It’s been fifty-seven years since the AMAZING FANTASY #15, the story that brought everyone’s favorite wall-crawler into the Marvel Universe and jumpstarted some of the most adventurous super hero stories ever -- but what if Spider-Man had aged at the same rate as our world?

Join acclaimed writer Chip Zdarsky (Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel 2-In-One) and superstar Spider-Man artist Mark Bagley (Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man) for SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY – a tale encompassing the entire history of Spider-Man from beginning to end, set against the key events of each decade! As the series kicks off in March, the year is 1966, and Peter Parker must determine where his power and responsibility truly lies as the nation becomes embroiled in the Vietnam War.

“I guess I’m just not done with Spidey! This is an idea I’ve had since I first started working for Marvel, something that explores the characters and the Marvel universe on a deeper level, where time changes both the characters and the world,” said series writer Chip Zdarsky. “Being able to span decades with one of the most iconic Spider-Man artists ever, Mark Bagley, is surreal. He’s creating fresh takes on classic characters and moments in really dynamic ways.”

Grab some webbing and swing through history with Peter Parker in this special, high-end limited series, debuting as part of the celebration of Marvel’s 80th anniversary! It all begins this March in your local comic shops.

This sounds like that John Bryne Batman/Superman book where it chronicled the World's Finest Heroes aging in realtime.

It'll be interesting to see if Zdarsky will re-frame seminal Spider-Man moments or stuff with the supporting cast with real world events.

It's nice to see Bagley on Spider-Man again although I'm not sure if this is the right project for his art.

BANNED

I'm guessing the Spider-Marriage may end in divorce here rather than be dealt with via a OMD retelling, as Chip does have experience with the subject, and he did say he based his take on MJ in that brief story in Spectacular on his ex-wife, who's his best friend.

I'd much rather they end it with Spider-Girl continuity tacked on.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Oh hell yes, I remember nearly actually writing this as a fanfic once so I have wanted to see this concept done for years. It’s always been said that Peter was about 15 when he became Spider-Man in 1962 so if he aged naturally he would be 72 by now and hopefully he’s got a May or Annie with kids of her own to carry on his legacy. I also am curious what will happen with his supporting cast - where Harry, Flash, Gwen and MJ might go, and who he might marry - if The Night Gwen Stacy Died still happens in 1971 Peter might have already settled down with her...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    if The Night Gwen Stacy Died still happens in 1971 Peter might have already settled down with her...
    It says "the entire history of Spider-Man" not "the entire history of Spider-Man with a slight alteration"

And count me as someone who's not entirely convinced Peter would have remained in love with Gwen had she lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm guessing the Spider-Marriage may end in divorce here rather than be dealt with via a OMD retelling, as Chip does have experience with the subject, and he did say he based his take on MJ in that brief story in Spectacular on his ex-wife, who's his best friend.
    I'm just wondering if they'll address the marriage to begin with. We might finally get to really see Zdarsky's take on Mary Jane.

I could also see Aunt May actually dying in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dying as in not already dead? It would take another Faustian deal for an aging in real time Ditko Aunt May to even make it to 1966, the year this story begins.

I'll be curious how many other Metas are in this world...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

"You wanted him to grow up, didn't you?" Zdarsky whispers softly as he holds your head with fingertips as sticky as Parker's. You open your mouth to scream, but not a sound comes out as blood and maple syrup begin oozing out of Chip's mouth, and into yours.

i like this idea count me in. I can see this being a type of legacy thing where Miles who was introduced in 2011 will discover an article or hear a story about Peter's time and then he decided to retake the mantle. I'm hoping this series is successful I can see this being done with the other Marvel heroes as well.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I'm just wondering if they'll address the marriage to begin with. We might finally get to really see Zdarsky's take on Mary Jane.

I assume since people got married sooner back then that he’ll get married to either Gwen or MJ by the early 70’s.

I would be amazed if May is still around by the 80’s or early 90’s. Hopefully we will get the goodbye we were denied in One More Day.

Curious if they tackle 9/11 with a much older Peter in the 00’s issue. I also would love it if this led to a whole series of minis with other characters and groups in the Marvel Universe doing the same thing, assuming that time passed in real time after the FF flight in 1961...

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'll be curious how many other Metas are in this world...
    I wouldn't be surprised if they reference other Marvel heroes, although it would be interesting if Spider-Man is the only Superhero in the context of this mini.

BANNED

Mark Bagley is the artist? COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they reference other Marvel heroes, although it would be interesting if Spider-Man is the only Superhero in the context of this mini.
    it would make the mini much easier to write without other superheroes around.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I can see the ending being a pass the torch moment, as Peter, too old to continue as a hero, hands over responsibility to a new Spider-Man - who, of course, would be Miles Morales.

If they do have other heroes around, then since they'd age in real time too, that would probably lead to the 90s being like MC2. With some exceptions (Gerry Drew would be absent for one thing, on account of the fact we now know he's an IVF baby thanks to his recently introduced 616 counterpart - something that would be less likely in the 1980s when Jessica would've needed to have got pregnant in this scenario).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-12-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman