Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think given the nature of "Life Story," Peter will age normally. It would run contrary to the story's themes if he didn't. So the cover for "The 90's" issue is exactly what it seems--an older, less athletic Spider-Man compared to his younger days via the reflection.

If I had to guess? I'd say by the 90s he's been out of the game for a while, having retired to raise his children. So a little out of shape but maybe able to get back into the game if he works at it (though still slower than he once was, even in peak shape).

Astonishing Member

I just read the first issue. I won’t spoil it, but it’s great. Really does a great job placing Spidey in a more real-world context complete with its conundrums. It’s also great to see the book just own its 1960s timeline instead of the usual sliding timescale we’re used to.

As for the 90s issue, I’d bet my left kidney it’ll either involve Carnage, Venom or some version of the clone saga. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t about symbiotes or clones, as that’s quintessential 90s Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I just read the first issue. I won’t spoil it, but it’s great. Really does a great job placing Spidey in a more real-world context complete with its conundrums. It’s also great to see the book just own its 1960s timeline instead of the usual sliding timescale we’re used to.

As for the 90s issue, I’d bet my left kidney it’ll either involve Carnage, Venom or some version of the clone saga. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t about symbiotes or clones, as that’s quintessential 90s Spidey.
    Yeah, I think clones will be involved, but an older Spidey will be dealing with them. Which means not only will he have the usual clone craziness, but it's going to make him feel really old to run up against, say, a Ben Reilly that's still in peak physical condition (assuming he's been in suspended animation or doesn't age normally).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, I think clones will be involved, but an older Spidey will be dealing with them. Which means not only will he have the usual clone craziness, but it's going to make him feel really old to run up against, say, a Ben Reilly that's still in peak physical condition (assuming he's been in suspended animation or doesn't age normally).
    How do you even sell the "Ben is real Peter" with real-time aging? That was always a major problem with the Second Clone Saga, since the whole point of the First Clone Saga is that clones don't age, they are permanently stuck in one era whereas real people move on...and the Second Saga went on this braindead idea that the Ben who is still the Peter of an earlier time is the real deal.

In any case, this depends on Zdarsky's own tastes. I don't think he has ever been a fan of the Clone Saga from what I've read. He talks about liking classic Spider-Man, about the Bronze Age and the JMS era, but skips the Clone Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    How do you even sell the "Ben is real Peter" with real-time aging? That was always a major problem with the Second Clone Saga, since the whole point of the First Clone Saga is that clones don't age, they are permanently stuck in one era whereas real people move on...and the Second Saga went on this braindead idea that the Ben who is still the Peter of an earlier time is the real deal.

In any case, this depends on Zdarsky's own tastes. I don't think he has ever been a fan of the Clone Saga from what I've read. He talks about liking classic Spider-Man, about the Bronze Age and the JMS era, but skips the Clone Saga.
    Well, if the clone showed up in "Life Story," it probably wouldn't be with the "Ben is the real Peter" twist.

My best guess is that cloning would be in service to the story's real time aging theme, perhaps with the clone(s?) being Peter 2.0s in peak physical condition. This would raise questions about Peter's responsibilities--could he, for instance, pass them off to a clone more suited for physical engagements with villains? Or would the clones prove unworthy of the responsibility for whatever reason? Lots of interesting themes to explore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Nah, I bet Ben will be the same age, just coming back after 20 years on the road instead of only 5, and even more different.

Astonishing Member

Wait, what? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t remember anything being said along those lines. Ben definitely aged.

Could you cite or post the panel from the comic where they say clones don’t age?

22 posts about the first issue have been moved to a new thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-Life-Story-1
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Wait, what? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t remember anything being said along those lines. Ben definitely aged.

Could you cite or post the panel from the comic where they say clones don’t age?
    news to me too, unless he means thematically

which is all well and good, but y’know... reinterpretation is a thing
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    news to me too, unless he means thematically

which is all well and good, but y’know... reinterpretation is a thing
    Yeah, I think I’m confident in calling Bravo Sierra on the “clones don’t age” thing unless I’m shown otherwise. I’m a big CS fan and I don’t remember that plot point at all.

Astonishing Member

As per the preview pages and synopsis and general canon. Spider-Man was 15 when he got bitten by the spider in AF#15. Since that was published in August 1962, and Spider-Man is now 57 years old in publishing history, that means a real-time aging Peter would be 15+57...or 72 years in 2019. Or to put it, Peter would be in his twenties in the 70s, thirties in the 80s, forties in the 90s, fifties in the 2000s, and sixties in the 2010s. Obviously there's going to be some overlap and so on.

The concept of powers slowing down the aging powers doesn't seem to be true in the case of Spider-Man in 616 Canon since he has grown and aged visibly from 15 to his mid-20s (at least 10 years have passed in ASM as per Post-BND timeline and Spencer's ASM#14).

I always have problems with that trope, i.e. superpowers mean they age slowly especially when it's not established and clearly defined and seems arbitrary. Like DC comics and other writers seem to assume that Superman is immortal or that he will never age and so on, but if that were true how is that Clark Kent aged visibly from infant to early 30s...why does immortality and agelessness begin on that year and not before? I never bought the idea that Superman's Kryptonian powers means he won't age the same way other people do, even if that's basically become accepted wisdom and norm at this point. It works with Thor and Wolverine who are long-lived immortals who have aged at a slower rate across millenia (in Thor's case) and centuries and decades (in Wolvie's case) but not in the case of Clark Kent who is 30 years old per comics time and looks every bit the 30 years of his life. Obviously the story reasons is they don't want to age Clark Kent out of his supporting cast (i.e. a Lois who ages while a Clark who stays young all the time...the Dr. Manhattan sob story that doesn't have place in any story with the S Shield) but there's nothing visible and established there that Superman won't age.

In the case of Peter, all the spider-bite did was give him powers and abilities of a spider...but it hasn't frozen Peter's aging process since he is never shown aging slower than Harry, Flash or MJ.
    I think you need to distinguish between growth and aging.

Peter being bitten by the spider at 15 and aging slowly doesn't mean he'll still look 15 when his peers are 18. It means that he'll grow up like anyone else but at some point, probably in his mid-to-late 20's or early 30's, when the wear and tear of the body subtly begins, the wear and tear Peter experiences will be at a much slower rate than that of his peers.

So Peter in his mid-20's would still look the same age as his peers. But a 40 year old Peter might have the body of a 30 year old.

The trope of superheroes not aging as much as normal humans is needed if you're going to do a story about an aging superhero in action. The only way a 60-something man, even with superpowers, can put up with the levels of physical and mental stress which most 40 year olds might not be able to cope with, is if their powers mean that their bodies are biologically younger than that of their non-powered peers.

Also, any hero who heals faster than a normal human being, whether or not its their primary ability, is likely to age slower than a normal human being in some sense - simply because there won't be as much wear and tear over time.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I enjoyed the hell out of this issue.
    I really liked Bagley's art in this.
    My LCS is placing this in everyone's box who subscribes to ASM -- so far, no complaints.

More Life Stories confirmed.

Fan Q: Does Life Story mean more self-contained stories?

C.B.: Yes, we have more planned. It will be very heavily tied to the Marvel U, but ones you can pick up, enjoy,.
    https://www.newsarama.com/44404-c2e2...-cebulski.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Zdarsky also said that he wanted to do more stories in that universe.

I know. And now Cebulski confirmed there's plans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman