Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tony in the comics ever really gave up building weapons after becoming Iron Man. That's more something from the MCU. Also, this version of Tony has been actively involved in wars so his life and career have clearly taken a different direction.
    You are wrong. And in fact it was during the Vietnam era when Tony Stark vowed to stop making weapons. Him giving up the weapon trade is part of his origin story, so it makes this series particularly distasteful to me.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/statu...0213595172865/

Making tech for the Avengers is not the same thing.

And even in Tony Stark: Iron Man right now, one of the solicits mentions that Tony may be called upon to do something he vowed to do again: make weapons.
    Last edited by okiedokiewo; 06-12-2019 at 07:52 PM.

I was planning on tradewaiting this whole thing, but I had to support my boy Ben, so I bought this issue and really enjoyed the Clone Saga remix -- especially the end, with Peter in the driver seat regarding knowing the truth yet Ben still being given a chance to live the life. Gotta say: I'll be interested to see what becomes of Ben in the issue representing the 2000s. Something involving Civil War and/or Superior might lead to his downfall and Peter's comeback, because I can't see Ben just getting to stay as Spidey indefinitely to close out the miniseries.

-Pav, who can't wait to read this whole story...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I was planning on tradewaiting this whole thing, but I had to support my boy Ben, so I bought this issue and really enjoyed the Clone Saga remix -- especially the end, with Peter in the driver seat regarding knowing the truth yet Ben still being given a chance to live the life. Gotta say: I'll be interested to see what becomes of Ben in the issue representing the 2000s. Something involving Civil War and/or Superior might lead to his downfall and Peter's comeback, because I can't see Ben just getting to stay as Spidey indefinitely to close out the miniseries.

zdarsky goes meta and has a bunch of this universe’s spider-man fans throw civilian ben off a roof
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    zdarsky goes meta and has a bunch of this universe’s spider-man fans throw civilian ben off a roof
    Speaking of being meta: Zdarsky really utilized the "death by glider-stab" trope in this issue, didn't he? First, Harry gets it, then Peter almost does as well.

-Pav, who loved seeing Ben jump out of the way...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

should we still be using spoiler tags?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    You guys...Bagley is drawing 50 year old Peter like how he drew Richard Parker in ASM and USM. I'm going to tear up it's so beautiful. :')
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt that vibe. Loved the way Bagley differentiated Ben and Peter, too.

THIS WAS AWESOME
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Great art, top notch meta-remix of the printed story of Spider-man so far. I loved how they condensed the clone saga and made the outcome something everyone can enjoy and I dig Peter's new Spider-suit. Reminds me of what they wanted to use for the James Cameron's Spider-man with the cool reflective google eyes. Peter does kind of come off as a jerk in this series, but I liked how this issue ended and showed him redeeming himself in part, and can't wait to see how they condense the Civil War stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt that vibe. Loved the way Bagley differentiated Ben and Peter, too.

THIS WAS AWESOME
    Indeed! The scene where Peter goes back to his kids and you see how much he looks like Richard...ugh. This is the best Marvel miniseries in the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Great art, top notch meta-remix of the printed story of Spider-man so far. I loved how they condensed the clone saga and made the outcome something everyone can enjoy and I dig Peter's new Spider-suit. Reminds me of what they wanted to use for the James Cameron's Spider-man with the cool reflective google eyes. Peter does kind of come off as a jerk in this series, but I liked how this issue ended and showed him redeeming himself in part, and can't wait to see how they condense the Civil War stuff.
    I think Peter's personality comes with being so jaded about it all. His optimism and hoped had waned in the 80s and even here he says he takes no joy in his life. So I think Zdarsky is playing that up by showing a much more gruff Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I think Peter's personality comes with being so jaded about it all. His optimism and hoped had waned in the 80s and even here he says he takes no joy in his life. So I think Zdarsky is playing that up by showing a much more gruff Peter.
    I agree, I also think if anything this series shows the toll being a superhero can take on someone's life, both mentally and physically, like boxers and athletes going into their senior years trying to remain relevant. I enjoy it, it's a more grounded take on the material, not all of it is going to be light and happy. They seemed to capture that 80's grit perfectly.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

You know, one of the biggest 'missed potential' moments of Civil War was Ben Reilly not being alive at the time, because I think two characters with the same moral foundation on opposing sides is very interesting.

Maybe Tony Stark will be able to get on Ben (now going by Peter?)'s good side.

I do wonder, what happened to Gwen's clone? Ben didn't mention her and he seemed bitter about losing 'his' life. But he was way chill in Life Story #2 and even seemed happy with the way things had turned out.

Calling it now. The hero, mentioned in the solicits for issue 5, that dies in the Super Hero Civil War, is going to be Ben Spidey.
    Last edited by Russ840; 06-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Calling it now. The hero, mentioned in the solicits for issue 4, that dies in the Super Hero Civil War, is going to be Ben Spidey.
    The cover of the issue implies it's going to be Captain America himself. Cap did "die" at the end of OG Civil War. This time it will stick.

Astonishing Member

Someone else said they think Ben will die trying to save people on 9/11, and it seems like it’s plausible considering Chip’s meta-mixing of real world events into the series.

Astonishing Member

What’re the odds of Miles Morales showing up in the last issue?