Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I love Bagley's art, but it really doesn't make this feel like a period piece.

"...I've been following you." Like, probably the creepiest thing Norman Osborn could ever say.

Thank Emma Stone and Greg Weisman for making "Gwen Stacy science nerd" happen (I know Gwen was in Peter's science class, but c'mon, let's be honest).

If I missed a page, blame Nrama.

Bagley's power is growing.

*Gasp* Ditko-flavored Gwen *Gasp* Doing the science she's studying

Will compression eat this series alive? Pay money and find out!

BANNED

Nice scene between Norman and Peter there. A mix of the Raimi movie's first meeting between Peter and Norman and the thanksgiving scene where Norman realizes Peter is Spider-Man. Don't like Emma Gwen here. I really was hoping we get to see the Lee-Romita Gwen who flirted with white supremacy, but Marvel branding will not let that Gwen ever surface again unfortunately. Science nerd Gwen never was the Gwen of the Lee-Ditko-Romita era. But whatever.

But basically this is a movie interpretation of the past. Norman thinking of Peter as an improvement on his son which he never did originally nor in Ultimate, and Emma Stone's version of Gwen inserted into the original.

Love that shot of Times Square in the '60s. One anachronism, you have a poster of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, that was made in 1966 (as listed in that comic title) but GBU was released in America in 1967. So that's a mistake there. But otherwise it looks quite period appropriate.

Peter is 19 years old here in 1966, since four years passed since Ben died. And 1966 is four years after AF#15 released in August 1962.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PREVIEW. You guys don't know how hyped I am for this. An innovative story with my all-time favorite Spider-Man artist and one of my new favorite Spider-Man writers? I was buying this day one.

I like Gwen's personality here: it expands on what Lee/Ditko set up with Gwen thinking Peter blows her off, but also combines it with some Spider-Man: Blue for that matter. And Norman is giving away that he's a villain, which makes me think that Peter hasn't faced the Green Goblin yet.

Also, did anyone notice the page count? 40 pages, right off the bat! This could set up some more prestige miniseries formats for Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    *Gasp* Ditko-flavored Gwen *Gasp* Doing the science she's studying
    Is she Ditko-flavored because she's not taking Peter's @#$%? Because the headband is very un-Ditko .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is she Ditko-flavored because she's not taking Peter's @#$%? Because the headband is very un-Ditko .
    Was Emma Stone ever overtly passive aggressive?

Mighty Member

1966...safe bet MJ makes her first appearance at the end of this issue.

As far as Gwen goes, she and Peter took a science lab together in the Lee-Ditko era. That's nothing new.

I love Bagley's art, but it really doesn't make this feel like a period piece.
    I agree. I think I would have preferred something a bit more realistic/cinematic for this. Or maybe a different art style for each decade.

Gwen is gonna be in her mid-20s when Norman drops her off a bridge. Will she be married to Peter during "The Night Gwen Stacy (Gwen Parker?) Dies"?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Was Emma Stone ever overtly passive aggressive?
    Maybe a little after she and Peter broke up? Or she was mad at him? I'd have to re-watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Gwen is gonna be in her mid-20s when Norman drops her off a bridge. Will she be married to Peter during "The Night Gwen Stacy (Gwen Parker?) Dies"?
    Zdarsky really seems like a closet Gwen shipper.

Maybe a little after she and Peter broke up? Or she was mad at him? I'd have to re-watch it.

I've only seen reviews of those movies, I like the part in 2 where he stalks her and she's hella cool with it.

I can't see Gwen still being around in this during the 1990s issue of this story, you know what I mean?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    LAnd Norman is giving away that he's a villain, which makes me think that Peter hasn't faced the Green Goblin yet.
    Peter faced the Green Goblin three times already by then. The first time Peter met Norman is when Goblin unmasked himself in ASM #40. Peter's first reaction was more or less, "You would be that jerk Harry Osborn's dad!" because the two of them hadn't met and formed any relationship at the time. Dramatically later writers felt that was lacking in suspenseful so they build up some bond and connection between Peter and Norman before they meet "face to face" especially Raimi's Spider-Man 1.

Also, did anyone notice the page count? 40 pages, right off the bat! This could set up some more prestige miniseries formats for Marvel!
    As it should. 40 pages per issue is right. You know there's that great line in Citizen Kane, "Seventy years in a man's life. That's a lot to put into a newsreel." As it is this project is ambitious.

Ideally, I'd love for this to be a 60 issue miniseries, with each issue covering a year, published bi-monthly so that by the time August 2022 (Spider-Man's 60 year anniversary) comes around, you would have an issue per year of Peter's life.

Ditko flavored Gwen was a beauty queen who got into college for the legal equivalent of this week's college admissions scandal. Much like Harry did. And since Ditko had a Randian-inspired but fairly understandable dislike for rich snobs getting by without "the sweat of their brow" he wrote Peter's college crowd as very unsympathetic. Her parents were rich, she's a beauty queen, and she has resting b-word face. Ditko's Gwen was on the whole not a nice person. Neither was Lee-Romita Gwen but there the story told us she was nice so people forget her bullying of Aunt May her flirtations with white supremacy and so on.

The idea that because Gwen took a class with Peter in college she's somehow a science geek is bizarre. For one thing this is first year and not major, so we have no way of knowing if she planned to major in it, on account of her dying before she graduated. Secondly the entire time she's shown is fixating on why Peter's not checking her out rather than focusing on test-tubes. Bendis' Ultimate Gwen was no science lady either.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 03-14-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I can't see Gwen still being around in this during the 1990s issue of this story, you know what I mean?
    I think they probably will acknowledge her death in some form.