Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Yeah, for starters, it means Cap's time as an Avenger is probably prematurely over. That removes one of the characters whose time on the team otherwise shouldn't be affected by the real time progression (the others being Thor and Hercules). I wonder if they'll try to recruit Peter - which didn't happen until the 90s in 616?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, for starters, it means Cap's time as an Avenger is probably prematurely over. That removes one of the characters whose time on the team otherwise shouldn't be affected by the real time progression (the others being Thor and Hercules). I wonder if they'll try to recruit Peter - which didn't happen until the 90s in 616?
    That's a great point!

Cap 'switching sides' could also affect the way the Avengers, and superheroes in general, are perceived by the US Government and by the general public as well.

Captain America's status as a war hero and symbol of American patriotism gave the Avengers some much-needed legitimacy in official circles during the early years.

If Cap went rogue, maybe the US Government would either turn against superheroes, or work towards controlling them. Or, Iron Man becomes the new leader of the Avengers, but since he's considered pro-Vietnam War, maybe a section of the public who's against the war turns against him and the Avengers as a result.

All this could have an impact on Spidey's standing among the larger superhero community.

Cap's time on the outs with the US Government, if that is the case, should be limited to the 1970s issue though. Historically, after Watergate happened and people's trust in the US Government eroded a lot, the Vietnam War began to be questioned widely by the American public. By the late 1970s and 1980s, the war was openly criticized from all directions and considered our biggest mistake.

So I suspect that Cap's opinion on the Vietnam war will ultimately be something that results in him leading the Avengers in the 1980s, along with Stark's alcoholic problems and maybe the first Superhero Registration Act.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Cap's time on the outs with the US Government, if that is the case, should be limited to the 1970s issue though. Historically, after Watergate happened and people's trust in the US Government eroded a lot, the Vietnam War began to be questioned widely by the American public. By the late 1970s and 1980s, the war was openly criticized from all directions and considered our biggest mistake.
    Let's not forget Cap/Nixon in Engelhart's first (and better in every possible way) Secret Empire story. So Cap being on the outs of the US government was a theme in 70s Marvel, in Engelhart and also during Kirby's brief return where he did Madbomb (one of his best).

Zdarsky's take on Cap is basically putting that version of Steve Rogers from the 70s and 80s and having him take a stance on Vietnam that Marvel would not have thought of doing back in the actual '60s. This Steve is in every sence "loyal to nothing, general--except the dream."

BANNED

Cap's time on the outs with the US Government, if that is the case, should be limited to the 1970s issue though.
    Well, I don't see Dzarsky devoting too much time in this series to Cap (although who knows) but if he does continue to thread Cap's ongoing story through the decades as well, there's no reason that Cap's only issue with the government should be limited to the 1970s. It's not like there aren't plenty of issues right up to the here and now that Steve would be at odds with the government over.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Let's not forget Cap/Nixon in Engelhart's first (and better in every possible way) Secret Empire story.
    Englehart's SE remains fine. Spencer's was better. But outside of sharing a name, they're so different it's like comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, I don't see Dzarsky devoting too much time in this series to Cap (although who knows) but if he does continue to thread Cap's ongoing story through the decades as well, there's no reason that Cap's only issue with the government should be limited to the 1970s. It's not like there aren't plenty of issues right up to the here and now that Steve would be at odds with the government over.
    Cap seems to be a mentor for Peter here, and I could see that theme continue in a sparing way. It could just be in a background way, to highlight how Peter's ethics are in line with Caps. But I suspect that is going to be very down-played from here out.

The major issue Cap has with the government should be limited to the 1970s, because Vietnam is a special case where Steve would be more outspoken because it involved young people dying for next to no reason. He'd have opinions about general policies over the years, but thats getting into some deep and irrelevant weeds for this type of meta-story.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Cap seems to be a mentor for Peter here, and I could see that theme continue in a sparing way. It could just be in a background way, to highlight how Peter's ethics are in line with Caps. But I suspect that is going to be very down-played from here out.

The major issue Cap has with the government should be limited to the 1970s, because Vietnam is a special case where Steve would be more outspoken because it involved young people dying for next to no reason. He'd have opinions about general policies over the years, but thats getting into some deep and irrelevant weeds for this type of meta-story.
    Yeah, while I think you could show Cap at odds with the government over the last fifty/sixty years over a great number of things, it would be a distraction in a story that isn't primarily focused on him.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just read the first issue. I like it...but think it didn’t tap into the full potential this could bring.
    Still a good issue, though, and I’ll read it through to the end.

I was originally planning on skipping this, but read so many positive reactions here that I decided to pick it up. WOW! Glad I did! Fantastic issue and Zdarsky is once again putting out another great book. I'm in.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

The only negative i found with this gem is the Cap goes to Vietnam thing.
    The Captain America i remember, would even consider it as a possiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Wow! So we'll get to see Peter in his 70s by the end of this series!

LOVED it and can't wait for the next issue!!! I wish Zdarsky had put this much heart into his PPSSM run, which I absolutely hated. And it's always good to see Mark Bagley drawing Spidey (especially ADULT Spidey)!!!

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-...-life-story-2/

Preview for Issue 2.

spoilers:
    Peter and Gwen are married.
    Peter works with Reed Richards.
    Gwen works for Miles Warren.
    Harry is running Oscorp.
    Doctor Octopus has reformed and also works with Reed Richards.
    The Vietnam War has continued, and become a proxy war between Captain America and Iron Man.
    Flash Thompson is dead.
    The year is 1977.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

wow they took on some liberties

spoilers:
    Zdarsky sure seems focused on Peter getting with Gwen...

Gwen looks weird with short hair, even if I'm used to her having shorter hair then her 616 self.

Even older looking Reed...also looks weird.
    end of spoilers