Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Oh, I love it. I was referencing what someone else had said earlier in the thread. To be fair, they had a bias because they didn’t like the clone saga or Ben in the first place.
    yeah, i meant “your” in the general sense. maybe “one” would have been better

bias is fine, but some people are trapped in it
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah, i meant “your” in the general sense. maybe “one” would have been better

bias is fine, but some people are trapped in it
    Based in this forum? Oh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Here's the preview for next week's issue:
    https://www.superherohype.com/comics...n-life-story-4

spoilers:
    Looks like Otto might be using Ben for his new body, rather than Peter - makes a certai amount of sense, seeing as the whole Master Programmer thing kinda of overlaps with Superior in a lot of ways. Also I think we see for the first time a character showing up before their introduction to the Marvel Universe with Jessica Jones - who's dating Peter.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I guess that appearance by Jessica in high school in Spectacular was foreshadowing something .

Is she supposed to be a stand-in for Felicia entirely here? Felicia started being a PI around the 90's if I recall correctly.

Peter aged better then Ben did.

Jessica Jones wearing the exact same outfit in her middle age is hilarious.
    end of spoilers

I wonder if Marvel would expand on this universe where the sliding timeline is stunted or nonexistent. There are a few other characters I think could have an interesting story told about them if they aged similarly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I wonder if Marvel would expand on this universe where the sliding timeline is stunted or nonexistent. There are a few other characters I think could have an interesting story told about them if they aged similarly.
    You know why it’s only a Spider-Man story? Because a full-on Marvel Universe would be too big, and I have agree. It’d be awesome, but even hear I feel as though there are lots of parts missing to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:

Peter aged better then Ben did.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    yeah i noticed that, which i thought was a cool choice, if it was done on purpose. just because peter and ben are essentially twins doesn't mean that different lifestyle choices or outside influences wouldn't affect one more than the other. ben may have been living it tough compared to peter who seems to be well off. ben also appears to have stayed closer to the classic peter parker career (maybe another nod to his characterisation in the 90s).

on that note, ben seems to be active as a hero of sorts, the "red mask" as opposed to scarlet spider (is that a red hood nod or am i reading too much into tis now?). it's something else i like- there's no real reason for him to adopt a spider-centric identity other than to crowd peter's territory. he may as well just be a super strong, agile super hero who can scale walls with no affiliation.

i'm curious to know more about parker industries in this reality and i enjoyed that peter vs tony showdown too. outside of 616 cohesion, there's no reason to make them friends.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by boots; 06-08-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Well Tony's trying to take over his company, so maybe Peter's not doing so great at the business side of things.
    The point is that to be good enough to want to be mergered by Tony is an impressive feat of business for Peter. We don't think the people who founded YouTube are losers because Google bought them out after all.

I am guessing by the end of this issue, Peter will lose his company to Tony and end up at the bottom again and then get a new job teaching high school like in the JMS era. Of course with the addition of kids there will be guilt because Peter wouldn't have much to leave them behind as an inheritance.

My sense for Peter was always that he would be the great genius whose inventions would be appreciated after his death, and that he would be one of those many great inventors and smart minds who was maybe underappreciated. But I don't see Peter gaining any lasting material wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jessica would be 48 now, same as Peter. That means she's had enough time to marry Luke (who debuted in the 70s, remember) and have Dani.... and Dani could now be all grown up! Perhaps Jessica is divorced?
    Well it depends on if her whole thing with Killgrave happened or not. Whether she got powers or not. Those were all things which led her to Luke.

Alternatively I wonder if MJ is dating Luke, and it will be a case where Peter and MJ try and move on, but Luke and Jessica fall for each other instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    spoilers:
    Didn’t a poster early in this thread claim up and down that no way the clone saga or Ben Reilly will be referenced in this mini, because it’s too unrealistic? Now, we’ll have two issues (70s and 90s) that heavily feature him. I love it.
    end of spoilers
    The Ben Reilly we see here is drastically different from the Clone Saga, where he's presented as the younger, hipper Peter who was maybe the real Peter all along. So it's not exactly a validation of the Clone Saga if it demolishes the central purpose for why that character was created.

But, a spade's a spade. You called it. I made a bad call. Touche. I eat my digital hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    It's pretty perfect Peter would end up hooking up with Jessica, considering if we remember the events of Alias, Jessica had a huge crush on Peter and he was actually almost about to tell her his secret, so that little "What if" is finally being paid off in some way, it's great!
    end of spoilers
    Yeah. It's also a good lateral move because Felicia Hardy wouldn't really work as a woman who's so old, and the whole romance between Peter and Felicia was about a relatively young man, young adult (early 20s) dating a girl who was in her mid-20s with Peter being this slightly naive guy. That doesn't work with a dude pushing 50 (He was 37 in 1984 in LF#3, and 11 years later in 1995 in LF#4 he's 48).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Ben Reilly we see here is drastically different from the Clone Saga, where he's presented as the younger, hipper Peter who was maybe the real Peter all along. So it's not exactly a validation of the Clone Saga if it demolishes the central purpose for why that character was created.
    man, you really dig that whole "character y was created for x purpose and only x purpose" approach.

anyway,
    spoilers:

if...if this ben is a photographer and still active as a superhero, while peter is effectively retired and running a successful tech company...the argument might be made that he is fulfilling the 90s 616 ben's purpose, just in a way that suits this reality. one of the (many) ideas behind ben replacing peter in 616 was a misguided attempt to bring the character closer to his roots, not just hipper or younger.
    end of spoilers
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    man, you really dig that whole "character y was created for x purpose and only x purpose" approach.
    Not exactly. In the case of Ben Reilly, it's a fact that he was never intended to be "Ben Reilly". The finale of the Clone Saga would have had Ben calling himself "Peter Parker" and make the switch. If you like Ben Reilly as a distinct and separate character, you do not by definition like the Clone Saga for its original purpose.

anyway,
    spoilers:

if...if this ben is a photographer and still active as a superhero, while peter is effectively retired and running a successful tech company...
    end of spoilers
    He's not retired. He still has a Spider-Suit.

spoilers:
    the argument might be made that he is fulfilling the 90s 616 ben's purpose, just in a way that suits this reality. one of the (many) ideas behind ben replacing peter in 616 was a misguided attempt to bring the character closer to his roots, not just hipper or younger.
    end of spoilers
    At the time of the Clone Saga, Peter was still working as a photographer for the Bugle and so on. So he was still pretty close to his roots.

He was of course married at the time and that was the issue why some of the writers wanted to do the story. While others thought it would be a cool gimmick and introduce maybe a sidekick for Peter. Nobody really had a common program behind it.

EIC Tom Defalco thought it was a terrible idea from the start and he basically said that this was a 6 month story that would be undone by the end. It ended up getting stretched and Defalco got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not exactly. In the case of Ben Reilly, it's a fact that he was never intended to be "Ben Reilly". The finale of the Clone Saga would have had Ben calling himself "Peter Parker" and make the switch. If you like Ben Reilly as a distinct and separate character, you do not by definition like the Clone Saga for its original purpose.
    uh...

At the time of the Clone Saga, Peter was still working as a photographer for the Bugle and so on. So he was still pretty close to his roots.

He was of course married at the time and that was the issue why some of the writers wanted to do the story. While others thought it would be a cool gimmick and introduce maybe a sidekick for Peter. Nobody really had a common program behind it.

EIC Tom Defalco thought it was a terrible idea from the start and he basically said that this was a 6 month story that would be undone by the end. It ended up getting stretched and Defalco got fired.
    huh...
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You know why it’s only a Spider-Man story? Because a full-on Marvel Universe would be too big, and I have agree. It’d be awesome, but even hear I feel as though there are lots of parts missing to the story.
    Another character wouldn't hurt in my opinion.

finally a preview so he doesn't get back with Mj as I expected even after the death of May(i thought she might be still around). Otto about to do Superior in the 90s. Tony is still alive and more of a jerk than before surprised no one knows he is Iron Man yet. Wonder who is in New Jersey though? Also wasn't expecting Jessica Jones at all taught this issue might introduce Felicia but whatever. Wonder what the next tragedy that will befall Peter in this issue?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    finally a preview so he doesn't get back with Mj as I expected even after the death of May(i thought she might be still around). Otto about to do Superior in the 90s. Tony is still alive and more of a jerk than before surprised no one knows he is Iron Man yet. Wonder who is in New Jersey though? Also wasn't expecting Jessica Jones at all taught this issue might introduce Felicia but whatever. Wonder what the next tragedy that will befall Peter in this issue?
    I think Otto's gonna go for MJ and Peter's not going to be there to protect her. He seems like he's not over MJ completely, int he preview he seemed to blow off Jessica after having his mind run back to MJ and the kids. Poor guy

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I think Otto's gonna go for MJ and Peter's not going to be there to protect her. He seems like he's not over MJ completely, int he preview he seemed to blow off Jessica after having his mind run back to MJ and the kids. Poor guy
    well at least they have a friendly relationship to some degree. But now that you mentioned Mj in New Jersey that could be the tragedy of this issue Mj dies due to Otto leaving Peter to be a single dad while losing his company to Tony and still being Spiderman.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    well at least they have a friendly relationship to some degree. But now that you mentioned Mj in New Jersey that could be the tragedy of this issue Mj dies due to Otto leaving Peter to be a single dad while losing his company to Tony and still being Spiderman.
    Oh that'd be so sad, which is why I think that's how this is gonna go, lol. A single dad Peter who has to make a choice between being what MJ needed him to be—a husband/father, now, after her death, or continue being a hero.