Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, she ought to be born in the 1970s. So she'd already be active as Spider-Girl by the late 90s.
    I see her being born in the late 1980's, and having 'Ultimate Spider-Man'-style adventures in the early 2000's. And she could be the mentor to Miles Morales when he shows up in 2011.

BANNED

Solicitation for Issue Two:

SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY #2

CAN PETER AND GWEN FIND HAPPINESS IN THE 1970s? The GREEN GOBLIN is out of their lives, but NORMAN OSBORN isn't! Can PETER AND GWEN find happiness as the world of the 1970s dances on around them?
    http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...arvelapril.htm
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-22-2019 at 12:26 PM.

goddamn that's a good cover
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

cant wait to read this series

Zdarsky and Bagley?
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Green Goblin Pumpkin Disco Ball? I'm in
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

I am both hopeful and dreading of this series.

I wonder what age Peter will be in issue #2. I guess in issue #1, he will be the 17-18 teenage Spider-Man around 1967-1968 (since L-D had real time aging) but in issue #2, if it's in the seventies say 1972- he would be around 20s...which is more or less the age he has been locked in for the longest time. So that means issue #3 will give us Spider-Man in his 30s.

I personally think that rather than doing the death of Gwen, have Peter and Gwen get married...and then they divorce. That would be both representative of that era and you know many people say that Peter would have married Gwen had she not died. So show that happening and as for divorce, anyone who has read the stuff leading to her death from #87-120 can easily see how difficult and incompatible they were.

And then when Peter and MJ are in their 30s then they can get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am both hopeful and dreading of this series.

I wonder what age Peter will be in issue #2. I guess in issue #1, he will be the 17-18 teenage Spider-Man around 1967-1968 (since L-D had real time aging) but in issue #2, if it's in the seventies say 1972- he would be around 20s...which is more or less the age he has been locked in for the longest time. So that means issue #3 will give us Spider-Man in his 30s.

I personally think that rather than doing the death of Gwen, have Peter and Gwen get married...and then they divorce. That would be both representative of that era and you know many people say that Peter would have married Gwen had she not died. So show that happening and as for divorce, anyone who has read the stuff leading to her death from #87-120 can easily see how difficult and incompatible they were.

And then when Peter and MJ are in their 30s then they can get married.
    I'm not going to lie: Gwen Stacy was a horrible girlfriend to Peter. She constantly worried over him, then hated him, then hated Spider-Man, kept ghosting on him, slept with his best friend's father...why do people like her?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I'm not going to lie: Gwen Stacy was a horrible girlfriend to Peter. She constantly worried over him, then hated him, then hated Spider-Man, kept ghosting on him, slept with his best friend's father...why do people like her?
    Well for one thing, that's a retcon most fans of her hate, the writer regretted, and was done as a last minute change (though admittedly, her hiding his kids from him isn't any better).

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Well for one thing, that's a retcon most fans of her hate, the writer regretted, and was done as a last minute change (though admittedly, her hiding his kids from him isn't any better).
    So excluding that...still not the best love interest, no?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The most damning things about Gwen are stuff that was published when she was alive but which has been totally forgotten. Like in Issue #91-92, Gwen Stacy volunteered for Sam Bullitt because she subscribed to his "law and order" campaign solely so he would hunt down Spider-Man. Sam Bullitt in that issue is an authoritarian racist white supremacist who both Robbie Robertson and Peter compare to Hitler. I mean Gwen Stacy flirted with white supremacy in-page in the Lee-Romita era. That stuff is canon as they come. https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w9uQrqG_l...wl5o1_1280.png

Then in Issue #108 or so, she basically tells Aunt May in so many words to f--k off and stop crying so much about Peter, you know the most sefless person in Peter's life, who took him in as her own son even if they weren't direct blood relatives and who continues looking after him even when Ben dies...

Attachment 77405

You don't need to cite bad stories like Sins' Past. Gwen was phenomenally unpopular when she was alive. Read up letters published in that time. Basically stuff like Spider-Man Blue and others manufactured a version of Gwen that didn't really exist.

I never imagined you could actually kill Gwen. You have more intelligence then I gave you credit for. I fervently hope Gwen doesn't make a miraculous recovery in #122 (or in any subsequent issues). I also hope Peter doesn't mourn her too long...how long can he grieve over a person whose brain was constructed entirely out of old Pepsi bottles and whose personality had the exact color, consistency, and flavor of a loaf of Wonder Bread?
    — Jane C. Hollingsworth, Letter to the Editor, "The Spider's Web" Column, published in Amazing Spider-Man, #125, a more or less accurate summation of Gwen's reputation before her death, among general readers, and female readers in particular.

Gwen's Stacy death made her the holy version...this ideal woman for Peter...People who say that weren't around for the whole run. They've forgotten how nasty she was. She wasn't the most stable. She'd be all lovey-dovey one moment, and then hands-off the next. She was very strange. Just prior to her death, there was a long period when they were on the outs.
    — Roger Stern Spider-Man Crawlspace Episode 37: Roger Stern Interview Pt. 2', Timestamp: 52:00 — 55:00

The funny thing is, when she was first introduced, she was a Queen Bee character.

BANNED

You can take the girl out of the Ditko, but you can't take the Ditko out of the girl.

Gwen Stacy is this mess of a character. Important but so inconsistent and incoherent, and the version of Gwen that is actually popular and marketable (Ultimate Gwen, Spider-Gwen) has no relation to the Prime Gwen on any details. The best version of classic Gwen is the Ditko Gwen and she was a snooty rich snob, and to a large extent that remained who she was even when Lee and Romita tried to change her.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The most damning things about Gwen are stuff that was published when she was alive but which has been totally forgotten. Like in Issue #91-92, Gwen Stacy volunteered for Sam Bullitt because she subscribed to his "law and order" campaign solely so he would hunt down Spider-Man. Sam Bullitt in that issue is an authoritarian racist white supremacist who both Robbie Robertson and Peter compare to Hitler. I mean Gwen Stacy flirted with white supremacy in-page in the Lee-Romita era. That stuff is canon as they come. https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w9uQrqG_l...wl5o1_1280.png

Then in Issue #108 or so, she basically tells Aunt May in so many words to f--k off and stop crying so much about Peter, you know the most sefless person in Peter's life, who took him in as her own son even if they weren't direct blood relatives and who continues looking after him even when Ben dies...

Attachment 77405

You don't need to cite bad stories like Sins' Past. Gwen was phenomenally unpopular when she was alive. Read up letters published in that time. Basically stuff like Spider-Man Blue and others manufactured a version of Gwen that didn't really exist.

I never imagined you could actually kill Gwen. You have more intelligence then I gave you credit for. I fervently hope Gwen doesn't make a miraculous recovery in #122 (or in any subsequent issues). I also hope Peter doesn't mourn her too long...how long can he grieve over a person whose brain was constructed entirely out of old Pepsi bottles and whose personality had the exact color, consistency, and flavor of a loaf of Wonder Bread?
    — Jane C. Hollingsworth, Letter to the Editor, "The Spider's Web" Column, published in Amazing Spider-Man, #125, a more or less accurate summation of Gwen's reputation before her death, among general readers, and female readers in particular.

Gwen's Stacy death made her the holy version...this ideal woman for Peter...People who say that weren't around for the whole run. They've forgotten how nasty she was. She wasn't the most stable. She'd be all lovey-dovey one moment, and then hands-off the next. She was very strange. Just prior to her death, there was a long period when they were on the outs.
    — Roger Stern Spider-Man Crawlspace Episode 37: Roger Stern Interview Pt. 2', Timestamp: 52:00 — 55:00
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The funny thing is, when she was first introduced, she was a Queen Bee character.

I honestly thought I was alone in my dislike of Gwen! I always felt she was such a bad character, even without Sins Past, that I was like: "How did Peter ever love her???"

While I don't hate her, that's mostly because I think a retconned-in character has since taken the place of the earlier one, as seen in things like Marvels and Spider-Man: Blue.