Fantastic Member

Default World War 1 era vs Modern era

Did you like that in the Wonder Woman movie when naive Diana entered in World War 1 era or prefer her enter in the modern era with knowledge about the outside world?

I'm asking this question because the movie was accused of copying Captain America(World War 2 era) and Thor(1st time God in mortal society).

I thought it was great. The world changed dramatically with the advent and conclusion of WW1, and Diana's character growth mirrored the macro evolution with a micro one.

I think you're asking orthogonal questions. Ignorance and knowledge of our world can be tied to any time period that Diana enters in.

In any case, while there are plenty of similarities between Captain America and Wonder Woman, you could do find lots of similarities and parallels between them and older works as well. There were still enough differences that the works were distinct, and Wonder Woman IMO executed every piece where they were similar so much better.

Retired

There's a substantial difference between World War I and World War II, which is why I understood the period change in the WONDER WOMAN movie. If she had arrived in the 1940s, it would have been clearly a war between good and evil--thus the moral lesson that Diana was bringing to the world of men would never have worked.

Curiously, when I got around to finally watching the CAPTAIN AMERICA movie, I found that it set up Red Skull and Hydra as the big threat, as if Hitler and Nazis were not worth fighting. To me, if you're going to have a movie set in WW II, then fascist armies enforcing the genocide of millions for racist reasons is the more important focus.

Diana is only naive in believing that human beings are fundamentally good and the war was created by an evil agent. There are plenty of movies where the audience is supposed to believe that's the truth. A lof of horror movies push the idea that it's all Satan's fault and human beings are just puppets.

However, Diana comes to understand that all people have a darkness inside them and she must have enough faith to not abandon humanity, but stick by them, to encourage a brighter perspective. She's a beacon of hope, because she comes from a society that has this better philosophy--so she knows it's possible for people to treat each other with more kindness.

It's really competing knowledge that Diana has to struggle with. She has one set of knowledge from Themyscira which guides her; Steve Trever has another set of knowledge from the world of WW I. it's combining and sorting through those two sets of knowledge where the solution exists.