Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Guard

Default Imperial Guard

Since DC is taking its time putting out a new Legion book, do you think it would be a good thing for Marvel to put out an Imperial Guard book?

Sandy Hausler

Yes, but only if Marvel can do a good job. The Legion is way more popular, so the IG would need really good stories and art (which I personally want in all my books anyway). But it would be really cool for those who love both teams to have simultaneous new books!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah it would have to have a really good creative team. I might want to see a Gladiator solo with some IG thrown in more at this point.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

While I suppose Gladiator can be an interesting character, and clearly plots involving the Shi'ar can often be compelling. I don't think the Imperial Guard has ever been anything more than a nice homage to the Legion. I feel that it would take a significant amount of time/effort to make a book worth reading, and realistically it wouldn't last long enough to have it happen.

Try a Gladiator mini, and see where that goes.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea. It is a huge team so a rotating cast with the Guardsmen matching the mission, they had a realm of kings tie in so if people liked that then it can work out good.

Yes, I agree with Personamanx.

To me, the Legion are interesting characters, and while I like the IG, it is their powers I find interesting, but not so much the characters. Maybe in part because of the little we have yet learned (or not learned) about them.

Marvel is doing a Legion book. It's called Champions.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The Imperial Guard has always been one of my favorite teams. They just need to write a book where the team is thrust into the future. One where the Sh'iar Empire has been revived and expanded...perhaps even to include Earth in a Monroe Doctrine-esque way. Or perhaps through some kind of treaty that allows for heroes from Earth to join the guard and participate in the Sh'iar Empire's ruling council. In return, the IG get a satellite headquarters on Earth and access to the Nexus of Realities as a transportation hub. I can already imagine which of Earth's heroes -- or perhaps more correctly, their descendants -- get to join the Imperial Guard.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    While I suppose Gladiator can be an interesting character, and clearly plots involving the Shi'ar can often be compelling. I don't think the Imperial Guard has ever been anything more than a nice homage to the Legion. I feel that it would take a significant amount of time/effort to make a book worth reading, and realistically it wouldn't last long enough to have it happen.

Try a Gladiator mini, and see where that goes.
    You can say the same thing (except substituting JLA for Legion) about Squadron Supreme, yet it's had some good runs over the years. I'm not suggesting that it would become a great success -- hardly anything is these days, but would it be worth trying?

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The Imperial Guard has always been one of my favorite teams. They just need to write a book where the team is thrust into the future. One where the Sh'iar Empire has been revived and expanded...perhaps even to include Earth in a Monroe Doctrine-esque way. Or perhaps through some kind of treaty that allows for heroes from Earth to join the guard and participate in the Sh'iar Empire's ruling council. In return, the IG get a satellite headquarters on Earth and access to the Nexus of Realities as a transportation hub. I can already imagine which of Earth's heroes -- or perhaps more correctly, their descendants -- get to join the Imperial Guard.
    Being set in another galaxy, the IG is, in effect, in the future (meaning a technologically advanced culture). I don't think Earth heroes are necessary. You can have the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Silver Surfer and any other cosmic heroes show up once in a while, but I'd see the book as it's own thing, just like the Legion doesn't have the JLA popping in all the time (or ever). An IG has a lot of characters to play with, all of whom we know little.

Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member

Gladiator is a member of the Guardians now, so an Imperial Guard book wont happen.

But with a good writer it would work. See The Black Order, its a great book with characters you dont really care about before, but it works out now.

i'd rather read about younger extraterrestrials going through an Imperial Guard bootcamp. sort of like their version of Camp Hammond. because we've seen that some of them are legacy heroes/soldiers. I don't know how that would jive with the new Smasher, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Gladiator is a member of the Guardians now, so an Imperial Guard book wont happen.

But with a good writer it would work. See The Black Order, its a great book with characters you dont really care about before, but it works out now.
    This is just a thread for wishes not realities. There's no reason to believe and IG book will be coming out anytime soon and when I started this thread I never thought there was; just thought it was a cool idea. But the fact that Gladiator is currently with the GoG needn't stop an IG book. He's only one member. There have been periods where Superboy did not appear in the Legion.

Sandy Hausler

Gladiator's son is very much alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Gladiator's son is very much alive.
    Kid Gladiator.

Sandy Hausler