Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Your crazy idea to freshen up the x-books?

Everyone has one. A weird idea that might look dumb on the outside has a lot of story potential. The x-books have been so stale for the last decade they need something to shake it up so what is your crazy idea?

Mine? Power swaps. Some new mutant comes on the seen that has to power scramble peoples powers. I am not talking about for an arc I am talking long term years at least. Imagine someone having to learn all over again how to use a totally new powerset. Storm having to learn to control Psylockes power. Collosus having to control Jeans. Jean having to learn how to fight with Shadowcat's power, and so on and so on. Plus it would get rid of the overused "Omega" mutant troupe that has been so severely overused because most character would just be learning how to really use their new powers. Even if it was just a handful of characters it could shake things up.

A major change is making half of all mutants powerless during the day/when the sun is out and powered at night/when the moon is out, and vice versa for the other half. This would include villains as well. I know it might sound lame at first but it would shake up team rosters and who would be best set to handle certain adversaries when the usual suspects are on the other shift.

I also had a very general idea that Apocalypse wins. At least for a good 3-4 years. The entire X-books and perhaps the entire Marvel books would be affected.

Also there was the idea suggested a couple of years ago that they should just send the X-men into space or into another reality, permanently, or again at least a handful of years.

Mighty Member

Having the X-Men establish more mutant schools across the globe with different quirks to each of them. Imagine the wizarding schools of Harry Potter as your reference point.

It would be some of the young mutants questioning why it is almost always the same X-Men who never stay dead.
    They will discover that one of the big name X-Men made a deal with Mojo and Mephisto to keep their pals alive.
    The stars of the show, the popular X-Men, would never die forever. The price? Leading young mutants to death and allowing Mephisto to take their souls.

At the end of the story, a team made of all those "never to be X-Men" will manage to cancell the deal.
    The young mutants trapped in hell are revived, while the old guard X-Men who beneficied from the deal die and stay dead.

It's time for a new generation of X-Men to fight for mutants and humans.

Hardly anyone from the Age of X-man books makes it back to this reality. The 616 team is Cyclops, Wolverine, and a few others that aren't being used and they are literally on the run, from Shield, the Avengers, everyone, because thanks to Nate calling himself X-Man insides people's heads as he destroys religious buildings, etc., the very team name is synonymous with villainy to humankind. The AoXM is a giant bus to put everything extraneous into.

BANNED

No More Sliding Timescale.

Characters age, grow old, retire, move on. If death isn't permanent, then there needs to be EXTREMELY extenuating circumstances to undo it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Characters age, grow old, retire, move on. If death isn't permanent, then there needs to be EXTREMELY extenuating circumstances to undo it.
    This yes!! I had actually hoped when Jean came back that they would set that up in some way - No More Resurrections. I mean of course Logan was already back just not in the books, and I knew some way some how Cyclops would come back, but otherwise yeah, dead is dead. For good. Unless like you said there were extremely extenuating circumstances.

Extraordinary Member

Everybody gets a real job.

They're still X-Men, they still fight evil mutants and evil mutant-haters, but they all work day jobs to make ends meet. Scott goes back to that radio reporter job he had for one issue in the '60s. Some mutants keep their identities secret and some are "out" but everyone has to lead two lives, crime-fighting and regular work, the way Spider-Man and Superman do.

Most mutant characters (and this includes mutants who aren't on the X-Men) for some reason seem not to mingle much with people who aren't also super-types. I want to see what happens when they do. Everyone can get their own supporting cast and see if any of them become popular enough to become regulars.

Also, bring back Bernard the Poet, just generally.

Make everyone gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

This. I dont get the big aversion from editorial and fans when it comes to characters aging

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    A major change is making half of all mutants powerless during the day/when the sun is out and powered at night/when the moon is out, and vice versa for the other half. This would include villains as well. I know it might sound lame at first but it would shake up team rosters and who would be best set to handle certain adversaries when the usual suspects are on the other shift.
    This is a batshit brilliant idea and you deserve a high five.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Scale things back to a singular title with a manageable roster of characters. I'm thinking no more than Ten characters at a time, maybe Twelve if the creative team can find a way to give them all meaningful roles.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This. I dont get the big aversion from editorial and fans when it comes to characters aging
    Because the whales that buy the majority of comics are powered by nostalgia. They want the heroes of their childhood to remain with them forever, and throw a hissy fit when someone changes that. The level of hatred I've seen for the new Spiderman cartoon with Miles Morales is crazy. Laura got a ton of flack for being Wolverine.

Marvel doesn't want to upset them because the people who want to see the series move forward are more selective of what they buy. A whale might buy every collector's edition, while those who want the series to move might just set comics that have their favorites, and not get them day one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post

I also had a very general idea that Apocalypse wins. At least for a good 3-4 years. The entire X-books and perhaps the entire Marvel books would be affected.

Also there was the idea suggested a couple of years ago that they should just send the X-men into space or into another reality, permanently, or again at least a handful of years.
    That’s literally Age of Apocalypse

Dead means dead. Hold firm to that statement and you start the slow process of making super-hero comics meaningful again.