Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Earth X had BP and Storm as leaders of the United States of Africa. Unfortunately, outside of AU/What-If's, etc , Marvel prefers to keep its universe fairly analogous to the real world, which I do believe is a detriment to creative storytelling. It is hard to believe the MU earth would still be using oil, for example, when there are Reed Richards, T'Challas, Forges, Starks and the like running around, not to mention mutants who can wield the very forces of nature. It stretches the suspension of belief to a breaking point.
    Yeah I would prefer a set of books set in various time periods that were each essentially a main book. Would allow for more diverse storytelling.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Bring back Dust. F**k Twitter.

I read it. Hellion, Rockslide, and Elixir are douchebag dude bros, Noriko is a case of trying too hard to make an interesting character(and failing), Mercury is an Alex Mack ripoff, and the rest don't even merit further discussion. Overall I find them cheap imitations of existing characters, and/or archetypes I don't care to read about. I'd only keep Prodigy because the X-books could use a black male character with smarts and hand-to-hand abilities, and because they aren't bring Synch back any time soon. Marisol from Storm's solo has an interesting power, fills a nice ethnic niche, and her specific form of rebelliousness resonates far more than someone like Quire or Armor.
    ...............never have you been more wrong. If you are still at the point where you think those three are "douchebag dudebros" then I have to take that you just didn't read all the way through, as those are fundamental misunderstandings of those characters. They've clearly grown past their first appearances. And how is Mercury an "Alex Mack" type?

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    ...............never have you been more wrong. If you are still at the point where you think those three are "douchebag dudebros" then I have to take that you just didn't read all the way through, as those are fundamental misunderstandings of those characters. They've clearly grown past their first appearances. And how is Mercury an "Alex Mack" type?
    I'm not going to argue. You can think as you do, I will do the same.

As for Mercury.... ahem:

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why'd that little boy turn into sunny-side up?

Moar dude bros plz.

Problematic, irresponsible, and immature young mutants are on-brand and on-theme for depictions of the X-Men-adjacent student body. Give me jerks, mean girls, lost souls, and raw nerves any day. We have the adults if we want seamless teamwork and superheroic professionals.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Moar dude bros plz.

Problematic, irresponsible, and immature young mutants are on-brand and on-theme for depictions of the X-Men-adjacent student body. Give me jerks, mean girls, lost souls, and raw nerves any day. We have the adults if we want seamless teamwork and superheroic professionals.
    By george I think he's got it.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Mighty Member

Another Alternate Universe story where the O5 consist of the younger mutants introduced during the 21st century and the New X-Men consist of the veteran X-Men we know and love. I know role swap stories are cliche, but I'll devour it.

As for Mercury.... ahem:

......Because she turns into goo? The O5 and Xavier are Doom Patrol ripoffs by this very awkward logic.

Anyways, yeah those characters have objectively grown from being "dudebros." I recommend reasing the series all the way through, it's a treat!

Last edited by Tycon; 12-14-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Give me Young Mutants in Love, with de-aged sloppy kids with hormones bigger than thier heads. Jubilee is into Iceman, who wants Prodigy, who has the hots for Dust, who pines for Jubilee.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Give me Young Mutants in Love, with de-aged sloppy kids with hormones bigger than thier heads. Jubilee is into Iceman, who wants Prodigy, who has the hots for Dust, who pines for Jubilee.
    I would probably watch a Degrassi based around teenage X-characters. It would be a spectacular train wreck that would involve way too much booze for the viewer.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Look, as a Dazzler fan, I get that sometimes a character is a joke that deserves time to be invested in them to make them glorious. Dazzler, while altruistic and a true fucking warrior gets shit on a lot by older comics fans a series being the literal manifestation of editor favoritism and comic Joke lore. All cuzza disco. Beautiful disco. BUT other writers understood that she had a very unique perspective in her mutant metaphor. She became a hero for the hopeless, had a narrative about the changing shape of how femininity and womanhood was treated in comic books and had her stick with the hopeless romance of a woman and her career and her main plot point.

What I'm saying is, that yes, I believe all characters have a story to tell, but if you just focus on the teen class of Xmen, who have been raised as X men, with little other real world interaction or development, then a lot of voices get drowned in the din of other similar voices that were created in bulk in the early 2000's. I want newer xmen to get elevated, but the difference is that many of the earlier, iconic waves of xmen were made up of diverse, multigenerational casts that had time in the real world to develop their voices and altruistic or rotten perspectives and the youthful asssociation with x-kids helped cast those world views into the proverbial crucible. I vote, the next wave of minis focus on new Xmen so we can see what makes them special and what world they're representing.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    The new Xmen are fine. Same with Academy X kids. All the serious from WaTXM and Bendis and beyond are mad trash except Idie.
    Wait what makes 90% of all the other x-kids not trash at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why'd that little boy turn into sunny-side up?
    I hurt myself laughing at this. Thanks alot.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 12-14-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

[QUOTE=yogaflame;4076631]Every time a Batman movie is made, a new generation is netted. Every time a Woman Woman movie comes out, a new generation is netted. Every time a new Spider-Man, or X-Men, or Avengers cartoon is made, a new generation is netted. This has been the standard operating model since the 40's/60's. There will always be niche characters that catch on(and disappear) over time, like the Spawns, Venoms, various Image comics, for example, but the big two have been on a roll for 80-60 years. Nostalgia is a communicable disease. It doesn't get completely set in amber like you seem to suggest, and just die off at some point. It morphs slowly with each generation,

As for Mercury.... ahem:

I remember this show but for the life of me cant remember the name. this was a nick show if I recall correctly. remember the name?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Wait what makes 90% of all the other x-kids not trash at this point?

I hurt myself laughing at this. Thanks alot.
    I'm sorry, but characters like Eye-Boy and the billionth Asian phenom "Nature Girl" and Shark Girl are fucking wack in that they're uninspired creations. This is the case for all of the WaTXM characters.