Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I want a book following Emma Frost's new hellfire club

More books in general that are off the beaten path

Allowing for experimentation in storytelling and art

Different characterizations of presumably familiar folks

Showcase more human beings in the X-Men's world, including past ones they've gotten to know who have gone by the wayside

Bring back interesting characters that have gotten ignored

Basically anything besides iteration 94832974734 of Uncanny X-Men starring Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and co.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Because the whales that buy the majority of comics are powered by nostalgia. They want the heroes of their childhood to remain with them forever, and throw a hissy fit when someone changes that. The level of hatred I've seen for the new Spiderman cartoon with Miles Morales is crazy. Laura got a ton of flack for being Wolverine.

Marvel doesn't want to upset them because the people who want to see the series move forward are more selective of what they buy. A whale might buy every collector's edition, while those who want the series to move might just set comics that have their favorites, and not get them day one.
    The irony is that there's going to be fewer and fewer whales as they grow older — and yes, die off — so the Big Two are targeting a demographic that's shrinking year by year. My experience is that newer/younger readers are on average more likely to be among the segment of the fanbase looking for something that's going to grow and move forward rather than stay rooted in nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The irony is that there's going to be fewer and fewer whales as they grow older — and yes, die off — so the Big Two are targeting a demographic that's shrinking year by year. My experience is that newer/younger readers are on average more likely to be among the segment of the fanbase looking for something that's going to grow and move forward rather than stay rooted in nostalgia.
    Their target audience now is only in their 30s and 40s: the people who grew up with the X-Men animated series in the 90s. Those people will be around for a long time.

Steal Tom Brevoort.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Their target audience now is only in their 30s and 40s: the people who grew up with the X-Men animated series in the 90s. Those people will be around for a long time.
    Speaking as a whale in his 30's I want anything but nostalgia. We have had nothing but rehashing the same **** for the past 10 yrs.

Give me a hellfire book.

Starjammers ongoing.

Let's focus on different iterations of being a mutant other than just being an X person.

Even have an idea for Fatale, Reaper and Abyss becoming mutant revolutionaries. Even though they had their powers taken away on Mday.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 12-12-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Spectacular Member

The story starts from 5 years from now but none of the X-men we know are in it. As the story continues they leave hints of what might have happened to them. The current X-men are all new characters not offsprings of any characters we know. As years go on we occasionally see past X-men show up but only as cameos, not as cast.

Cassandra Nova reveals Xavier planted the idea of Sentinel machines in Bolivar Trasks head as part of his mutant protocols after Magneto attacked in UXM1.

I don't know about interesting but I'd laugh my ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Every time a Batman movie is made, a new generation is netted. Every time a Woman Woman movie comes out, a new generation is netted. Every time a new Spider-Man, or X-Men, or Avengers cartoon is made, a new generation is netted. This has been the standard operating model since the 40's/60's. There will always be niche characters that catch on(and disappear) over time, like the Spawns, Venoms, various Image comics, for example, but the big two have been on a roll for 80-60 years. Nostalgia is a communicable disease. It doesn't get completely set in amber like you seem to suggest, and just die off at some point. It morphs slowly with each generation, each iteration, but it persists.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

That said, I am all for using the tried and true characters(and newer/new ones) in a manner better than just lumping them all together in over-bloated, under-cooked decompressed splash pages regurgitating the same sound bytes ad infinitum. At this point, though, I've pretty much lost hope for the comics, at least until the first MCU X-Men film comes out. It was Fox's X1 that lead to the Morrison era, which was the last real creative push for the line of merit, so it's logical the new movies, in-house at Disney, will give us at least a shot at something good.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Send the older mutants off somewhere on their own adventure (Shi'ar Galaxy, Mojoworld, Breakworld, etc. I don't know, just somewhere so far away they're not on Earth). They can have their own book going elsewhere concurrently or something. And then have the New Mutants and Generation X generation take over the "family business" for a while. I want to see the younger characters experiment and try different things and sometimes fail at running the X-Men their own way. We kind of got the build-up to this kind of thing already. With Kitty's headmaster run, Sunspot's running of the U.S.Avengers and all that. Just do that for maybe a year or two. Then things can be set back to normal afterward with whatever ideas worked incorporated into the X-Men going forward, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Send the older mutants off somewhere on their own adventure (Shi'ar Galaxy, Mojoworld, Breakworld, etc. I don't know, just somewhere so far away they're not on Earth). They can have their own book going elsewhere concurrently or something. And then have the New Mutants and Generation X generation take over the "family business" for a while. I want to see the younger characters experiment and try different things and sometimes fail at running the X-Men their own way. We kind of got the build-up to this kind of thing already. With Kitty's headmaster run, Sunspot's running of the U.S.Avengers and all that. Just do that for maybe a year or two. Then things can be set back to normal afterward with whatever ideas worked incorporated into the X-Men going forward, as always.
    I like the idea of Claremont's every 100 issues completely change the cast. We have had the same peeps for way too long now.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Somebody uses the IG/reality changing tool that alters the marvel Universes opinion on mutants overnight, forcing the X-men to find new purpose while adapting to this new status quo

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    This is the Young Justice Season 2 strat. We all love us some YUSTICE. Do it, muties!

BANNED

Make everyone black

Get rid of the school. Spread out X-Men operations beyond just one core team. No more hokey superhero costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Make everyone black
    I'd settle with just half.