Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Detective Comics 994 discussion

Released today, the start of Tomasi and Mahnke run! It's an intriguing start, things could go great or bad going forward, but for the time being, the story has my complete attention. What did you think of the beginning of this new story?
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Not promising that there is so little discussion for the new creative team that will take the title to #1000 and beyond. Fortunately, I've heard nothing but good things from other corners of the internet.

I'm looking forward to it myself and will probably get around to it this Friday or so.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Eh, it’s the usual Tomasi comic. Painfully banal and largely out of ccharacter.

Astonishing Member

It did certainly feel ... Very Tomasi. Some big pug-ugly mutant of a monster nobody will remember down the road as the threat, ably and grossly depicted by one of Doug Mahnke or Pat Gleason, with horror overtones that feel ... I dunno, a little too Resident Evil body horror for Gotham City (but felt right at home with Guy Gardner punching them in space).

But a lot of oddly poignant weird thematic shenanigans, too. Doing a take on a Batman Version of Morrison's All-Star Superman opening was charming. Not quite as tight as A.S.S., but still charming in the attempt. A plot that features Bruce, Gordon, Leslie, and some freaky deaky messing with the imagery of the Wayne Murders, tight plotting at least.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I loved it. I think Tomasi is very under-rated. He and Mahnke have my complete attention. That's how you start the countdown to a major milestone issue.

Tomasi and Mahnke are a great team. Tomasi's writing may not be as sophisticated as Morrison's, but he always manages to bring a lot of heart to his stories and amazing widescreen action.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Nice bait. Gotta give credit for it

Finally a competent Batman, who, you know, does some actual DETECTIVE work.
    Hopefully Tomasi will stay for at least 2 years.

Astonishing Member

Will read this as I've liked the majority of Tomasi's Batman works.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Finally a competent Batman, who, you know, does some actual DETECTIVE work.
    Hopefully Tomasi will stay for at least 2 years.
    That was the first thing I thought while reading this. FINALLY! A Detective story in Detective Comics! Yes!

Agreed. Isn't Leslie a pacifist?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Agreed. Isn't Leslie a pacifist?
    I had the same thought. Mankhe's art was quite nice. The plot elements were a bit too over the top for the type of detective work being showcased, for my taste. I get that this is a world of gods and monsters and science fiction, but a story rooted in analysis of physical evidence like this seems a bit out of place with the kind of a disconnect.

I had some conversations on other boards about Leslie, and there was an argument given that 1) Leslie's pacifism was too extreme in the past, so this is more "realistic" and/or 2) Leslie's just protecting Bruce against a non-human monster, so it doesn't count. But 1) if that's the case, then you should acknowledge that it IS a change, just one that you like, and if 2) that doesn't work with pacifism - Leslie isn't just against harm being done because it hurts the object, she's against doing violence between it harms the person who does the violence as well.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord