Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Leslie's pacifism has, more often than not, not made any sense. A pacifist is someone who doesn't agree with violent means and will always use dialogue, but that doesn't mean a pacifist would let himself be killer or let other be harmed. I'm not even talking about war crimes Leslie (which was so over the top, it was borderline ridiculous), but no man's land Leslie was already a joke.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Leslie's pacifism has, more often than not, not made any sense. A pacifist is someone who doesn't agree with violent means and will always use dialogue, but that doesn't mean a pacifist would let himself be killer or let other be harmed. I'm not even talking about war crimes Leslie (which was so over the top, it was borderline ridiculous), but no man's land Leslie was already a joke.
    It's fine to make the argument that this depiction of Leslie is an improvement - but acknowledging that it's a change, first, is important.

Whether you like her or not (and I did like her a lot in NML), I think if you remove that part of Leslie, you make her more generic and much less interesting. The tension between her and Bruce is reduced, and thus the dramatic potential is also reduced. She becomes "old family friend #102899" rather than "someone who loves me intensely but is deeply troubled by what I have devoted my life to."

That being said, if you think she was ridiculous, that's fair enough. Some liked her that way, though, in a ridiculous world of men wearing bat ears.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Not a fan of the "bad" that made an appearance nor the ending which suggested a particular individual (though it may end up being a red herring).
    Smells like a red herring to me, but we’ll see. I enjoyed seeing Batman doing actual detective work, but I was left wondering why a GCPD CSI couldn’t have done the same thing. I guess that’s the problem with those types of stories - it’s hard to make the hero sound smart without making everyone else sound dumb.
    Cheers - CL

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's fine to make the argument that this depiction of Leslie is an improvement - but acknowledging that it's a change, first, is important.

Whether you like her or not (and I did like her a lot in NML), I think if you remove that part of Leslie, you make her more generic and much less interesting. The tension between her and Bruce is reduced, and thus the dramatic potential is also reduced. She becomes "old family friend #102899" rather than "someone who loves me intensely but is deeply troubled by what I have devoted my life to."

That being said, if you think she was ridiculous, that's fair enough. Some liked her that way, though, in a ridiculous world of men wearing bat ears.

Except its not a change at all, Tomasi barely used her and in his use of her she was being attacked by a weird monster thingy. There isn't enough of her characterization here to make some definitive statement about her and its not even the pre New 52 Leslie either. Snyder is the one who made her younger, he's already written a story involving her being the target of a serial killer previously where she accepted Batman's assistance.
    I also agree that the extreme position she took in War Crimes is whats out of character for her. Its not like classifc Leslie prevented Batman and his pals from doing their work.
    So frankly speaking neither Snyder nor Tomasi contradicted even classic Leslie barring War Crimes but that story was awful and it was there that "pacifist" Leslie allowed Steph to die and therefore should be ignored. Not to mention DC itself retconned that a few years later.

Fantastic Member

Finally a book in continuity that has batman acting competently again and that is not an elseworlds or justice league story

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

I don't think she was ridiculous, but I think she was too extrem, which made her behaviour really over the top sometimes.

What is up with Batman's current costume change? I associate the blue and gray coloring with a light hearted Batman. And when did his trunks come back?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    Finally a book in continuity that has batman acting competently again and that is not an elseworlds or justice league story
    "Competently" as in destroying aquarium property and flooding a crime scene for no good reason?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Decent first issue. I loved Tomasi's Batman & Robin so I'll read the first arc at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Deliberately flooding a crime scene counts as competent detective work, I guess.
    Still infinitely better than anything Tynion has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Agreed 100%

Uh, no. Tynion never had him act that stupid.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Two things can be bad.

Edit: never mind.
    Last edited by Caivu; 12-24-2018 at 09:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Two things can be bad.
    Yeah, the King and Tynion duo represent the worst Batman/Tec era in recent memory.